How do you pick your target weight?

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Another thing to consider--for the women--if you can remember roughly what you weighed when you started having your period, that is a good number to shoot for. For me, that also happens to be around my target of 107. As long as that system works, it's your body's proof you are at a healthy weight.

lolwut? I was probably only 90 lbs and still hadn't reached my full height yet. That hardly seems realistic.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Another thing to consider--for the women--if you can remember roughly what you weighed when you started having your period, that is a good number to shoot for. For me, that also happens to be around my target of 107. As long as that system works, it's your body's proof you are at a healthy weight.

lolwut? I was probably only 90 lbs and still hadn't reached my full height yet. That hardly seems realistic.

Really cause I was 9 years old when that started ....and about 4 inches shorter...so no...

I might laugh at this...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Lol, I was 11y/o.

This might be reasonable if getting your period was anywhere near the end of a woman's body maturation, but it's not even close, lollll. There are SEVERAL stages of body changes that happen after a woman gets her period.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    What? No way. That is just silly. You simply don't have the same body or metabolic system. Your body needs to weigh more as you get older for all sorts of perfectly reasonable reasons. You simply cannot sustain the weight you were at puberty, especially if you have spent the intervening years giving birth, overweight, sedentary etc.

That way lies madness, impossible goals and permanent feelings of inadequacy.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Like most other people are saying. Pick a weight that you think you can achieve. Somewhere in the 140's. Then when you accomplish that, you can decide if you would like to stay at that weight or lose some more!

It depends on how you carry your weight, and the amount of muscle you gain during your adventure to fitness.

:]
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Pick a weight within the normal BMI range, but make sure it's one you think will be sustainable. If you choose a target weight to low, you will gain weight back and end up feeling like you've failed.

However, I've decided to move onto maintenance despite being a few pounds away from my goal weight. My current weight and waist measurement is within a normal, healthy range and I've been unable to drop more weight for a long time, so I feel that my body is happy at this weight. Now I just concentrate on being active and making healthy choices.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    107 for me, Female, 5' 3"
    I am using Dr. Joel Fuhrman's guide for my ideal height. He does emphasize being on the leaner end of your weight range vs. in the middle.

Here is his formula from his book, "Eat to Live":

For Men: 105 lb for the first 5 ft; 5 lb for each inch over 5 ft

For Women: 95 lb for the first 5 ft; 4 lb for each inch over 5 ft

I have always hovered around 125+ with enough to spare so I am excited as I am working my way to the lean version of me.

lol... 180 lbs??? this book expects me to be 180 lbs?!?!?

tumblr_m3jtwbwxvn1r1sm94-laughing-joker.gif
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    107 for me, Female, 5' 3"
    I am using Dr. Joel Fuhrman's guide for my ideal height. He does emphasize being on the leaner end of your weight range vs. in the middle.

Here is his formula from his book, "Eat to Live":

For Men: 105 lb for the first 5 ft; 5 lb for each inch over 5 ft

For Women: 95 lb for the first 5 ft; 4 lb for each inch over 5 ft

I have always hovered around 125+ with enough to spare so I am excited as I am working my way to the lean version of me.

lol... 180 lbs??? this book expects me to be 180 lbs?!?!?

tumblr_m3jtwbwxvn1r1sm94-laughing-joker.gif

110 for me. :laugh:

Not in this lifetime.
  • WinwillLose
    Options
    I'm going to say that different body types is why there is a weight range for each height. This is something I have alway struggled with. However, I finally get it. At 5'4" I am not going to be 130 pounds, unless I get really sick. I simply have an athletic frame broader shoulders and hips than most my height, I am not saying I'm big boned ( my sister always said that, she is denial). My target is 143 to 147, it's the high end of my range and I'm OK with that. I have a four pound range because as a women, I know hormones effect my weight. So I need to keep my expectations realistic.

So if you have a small frame go for the lower end, if you have larger frame the high end. Give yourself a few pounds to play with so that you don't freak out over random 3 pound weight gains.
  • stefjc
    Options
    I hadn't done the maths on the Dr Joel thing, let me see, 95 + (4 x5) =115lbs, just over 8 stone. Sheer lunacy!

I am no elite athlete currently competing at World Championship levels. I hate to think how hard I would have to train and screen my eating to achieve that weight.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Lol, I was 11y/o.

This might be reasonable if getting your period was anywhere near the end of a woman's body maturation, but it's not even close, lollll. There are SEVERAL stages of body changes that happen after a woman gets her period.

Dawha?

I was 14...5'9 and 115 pounds when I got mine and had grown several inches in height extremely fast...am now 5'11 and would never want to be that weight.

lolno.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    My first target was set by the Dukan on line calculater... When i got to phase 4 of the plan the weight kept coming off. I went to a performing arts doctor who reviewed my tests and we agreed my healthy weight range was 125 to 135... Most insurance charts put it at 139 to 180.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I am 5'3 and I weigh 150, which is my goal. I don't have any concern with being slightly over "normal" on the BMI because of my build (my waist is a 29, so deemed "healthy" and I have wide hips and larger breasts). So long as I like the way I look and am healthy and have no need to lose weight for medical reasons, 150 is it for me.

I also have so muscular legs. Ain't giving those up!
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    What? No way. That is just silly. You simply don't have the same body or metabolic system. Your body needs to weigh more as you get older for all sorts of perfectly reasonable reasons. You simply cannot sustain the weight you were at puberty, especially if you have spent the intervening years giving birth, overweight, sedentary etc.

I've done the baby-making years...it's possible. *Again* OP is looking for ways people reached their target number, this is mine. It doesn't have to be yours or hers. I am closing in on it, and t's achievable and sustainable for me.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    To answer the OP's original question, pick any weight within what is considered a healthy BMI to start, and re-evaluate as you get closer to goal. You don't HAVE to stick with your original number. It's really hard to have perspective of what YOUR body will look like when you get to a healthy weight if you're carrying a lot of extra fluff. My final goal ended up being about 15lbs heavier than my original goal when I started, because I realized as I was going that I'm more muscular than an average woman, and my bodyfat is well within healthy even though my BMI is overweight.

At the end, bodyfat is a better measure than BMI by a longshot, but it's difficult to nail down where you stand until you're close to goal, so start with BMI, and then adjust at the end based on bodyfat %.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Lol, I was 11y/o.

Dawha?

I was 14...5'9 and 115 pounds when I got mine and had grown several inches in height extremely fast...am now 5'11 and would never want to be that weight.

lolno.

I was 4'11 and weigh 89 pounds. I am now 5'3 and have boobs and a much wider hips from giving birth. LOL WUT. ALL DAY LONG
  • HollyRed13
    HollyRed13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For five foot three (which I am too) your ideal weight would be about 53 kg, which is 116lbs. It might seem like nothing but that's actually the healthiest you could be and it's attainable in time. Or just stop once you feel comfortable with yourself AND are within the healthy range.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Lol, I was 11y/o.

Good God this.

That is probably the worst advice I've seen on here. I was 14, under 100 lbs and hadn't even fully developed yet. 135-140 is very lean on me now, I would be emaciated under 100 lbs. Just ridiculous.
  • stefjc
    Options

I've done the baby-making years...it's possible. *Again* OP is looking for ways people reached their target number, this is mine. It doesn't have to be yours or hers. I am closing in on it, and t's achievable and sustainable for me.

Ah, but I have boobs and hips and am tapping 50 - it ain't so easy and I would look utterly emaciated. And I suspect you may not have read all I wrote...

... and no I am not in the least jealous of anyone who can/has regained their teenage body - grrrrrrrrrrrr :D
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Although MFP makes you pick a target weight I am more focused on reaching my target body fat %. What I weigh when I get there is irrelevant to me. :)