No one cares what I'm accomplishing

Options
Hey guy's. Lately I've realized that my own glee when I accomplish some diet or exercise feat is not enough to get me to push myself more.

My entire family has no problem exercising, so when I come to them saying something like 'I just reached a goal I've been trying to accomplish for a month( a 5k run)' They act bored and say 'good for you, now go stretch'

Today, I sliced 5 minutes off my best time on a run. When I got home I told my father, and he didn't even look away from his game of solitaire or make any acknowledgment of me saying something.

Why am I doing this if no one cares? I honestly don't want to only bi*ch about my family, but I need another venue to get motivation from. Even if someone smiled and nodded when I mentioned something I've been working super hard on would be nice.

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be doing this for anyone else but yourself.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have MFP friends to tell about my fitness accomplishments, because IRL people don't want to hear about that shiz all the time. People that are already fit aren't impressed and unfit people feel like you're harassing them about their sedentary lives. Get with friends here, it will help your progress and your IRL relationships.
  • Zorx
    Zorx Posts: 15
    Options
    I know, but on hard days, unless I am noticed, I end up screwing over my entire plan.It's like a relapse, and it can last for weeks, which just hurts when I worked so much for results.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Don't do it because anyone else cares. Do it because you care about yourself.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I know, but on hard days, unless I am noticed, I end up screwing over my entire plan.It's like a relapse, and it can last for weeks, which just hurts when I worked so much for results.

huh?

unless you are noticed you screw up your plan? i dont get it.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well, whatever your family says or doesn't say -- forget that. *I* say, "Well done!" Five minutes off your time is fantastic! Good job.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel you are looking for motivation in the wrong places. I agree that its nice to get compliments about weight loss or acknowledgement from family members/friends when you accomplish something, but it shouldn't be expected or required to keep you going. It should just be bonus motivation. The real core motivation to keep you going should come from within, whatever that may be. You have to believe in yourself and that you can do it, because if you yourself don't believe, who else will?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

...You have a long way to go, and a lot to learn.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    good for you dude. but seriously, go stretch.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hey guy's. Lately I've realized that my own glee when I accomplish some diet or exercise feat is not enough to get me to push myself more.

My entire family has no problem exercising, so when I come to them saying something like 'I just reached a goal I've been trying to accomplish for a month( a 5k run)' They act bored and say 'good for you, now go stretch'

Today, I sliced 5 minutes off my best time on a run. When I got home I told my father, and he didn't even look away from his game of solitaire or make any acknowledgment of me saying something.

Why am I doing this if no one cares? I honestly don't want to only bi*ch about my family, but I need another venue to get motivation from. Even if someone smiled and nodded when I mentioned something I've been working super hard on would be nice.

I dunno. Why are you doing it? Did you expect to be swamped in congratulations for running, or something?

Yeah, that's harsh, but..... why are you doing it again?
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    To make permanent changes in not just your body but your lifestyle, you have to do it for you. Support is awesome ( my mfp buddies are the best!) But ultimately it's me that takes the stairs and parks far away to get my steps in for the day. And if I sabotage myself, I only hurt myself.

Those pity me calories are not as sweet as they might seem at the time. And when you wreck the burn of a really good run with those pity calories, that is a sad accomplishment.

You are worth making changes to be a healthier you. Believe it to achieve it!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Do it for yourself.
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I kind of get where you're coming from. I get the same feeling when I go food shopping with my mom. I'm vegetarian and she gives me looks when I choose the organic things/meat substitute options to put into the cart, which I can understand. Yes they're more expensive, but I don't make them the primary thing that I eat because of this. I know we're on a budget, so I only get a few things, but I still wish that she wouldn't be a complete ***** in how she goes about doing things because honestly, I'm not going to change my eating habits. I'd rather just eat peanut butter and bread then go back.

But like the others have said, you have to do this for yourself. If you continue to seek your families approval, you will continue to be unfulfilled.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You're looking for motivation in the wrong places. You are doing this for yourself not your friends/family and their approval. Is it nice to get compliments or have people be happy for you? Absolutely! But it shouldn't derail all your progress because you aren't getting enough attention. This website can be great for that- post here and many people will be genuinely happy for you. I think you might want to reassess why you're doing this and try to remember what's important is your fitness goals!
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be doing this for anyone else but yourself.

BINGO. It's a great lesson to apply to other areas of your life also.
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    NO ONE acknowledges my hard work. I don't care. I do, and I'm doing it for me. Period.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You are doing this for you!
    Praise yourself, you are worth it!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Find some good friends on here who will give you a WTG on your news feed or post an NSW to the forum and wait for all the comments. Sometimes the people in our lives who don't share our passion for fitness don't get the importance of the milestones and the amount or hardwork it takes. Sometimes they do but having you saying it to the reminds them of their own inadequacies. Another option is to make some IRL friends who have similar goals and will encourage you.
  • Zorx
    Zorx Posts: 15
    Options
    Okay, I'll work harder on doing this for myself. Thanks guys, I guess I need other human beings to point out when my thoughts don't make reasonable sense. :)
  • whitlisd
    Options
    I have been heavy and have dieted my entire life. What I am JUST learning at age 41 is that no one wants to hear about your successes. It is a very personal journey and for the first time, I really don't need to hear the compliments to feel good about myself. I'm strong than I have ever been and it has come from realizing that I have to do this ALONE. I'm sure if you ask anyone, their support at home is as limited as the fitness of their family members and how much into exercising THEY are.

Be strong for you. This is something you will be alone in. This is why we have this community on MFP. To give us the support and encouragement we can't get anywhere else. I have met amazing people on here.

If you want real results in your life, give up on getting the kudos and work your *kitten* off, not giving to sh^&s about what ANYONE has to say. Then, when you reach a goal, come on here and WE will cheer you on!

Congrats on your success so far!