No one cares what I'm accomplishing

Options

Replies

• ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I came across this quote many years ago, and it really stuck with me.

“The secret of the universe is this: The universe doesn't care. That part of the job is yours.”

― David Gerrold

First and foremost, you need to care. No one will or should care about your health and fitness like you. They've got their own issues. You can't expect it of them, but you need to demand it of yourself.

That said, the Doctor needs friends and companions. He always has. And this is a great place to find people who may care more than most when it comes to health and fitness. Take some time to find people on here you can relate to.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Your best support is going to be right here on this site. The same people who you say don't care are probably the same ones to offer you food to sabotage your journey.

Suck it up and direct your energy to MFP. Why waste time worrying about those that could care less. Move on and hang on to MFP.

Shirley in Oregon
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There's an old saying, " you can't choose your family but you can choose your friends." Do so; there are thousands of folks on here that are willing to be friends with you, just becuase you are here! Find a group your age, weight, similar goals, etc, and motivate each other. But ultimately you still have to be your own best friend....and give yourself the appropriate "attaboys." Basically you can't care what anyone but you says....but if others say the right things then enjoy the hell out of it!
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Don't do it because anyone else cares. Do it because you care about yourself.

Right on the money ^^
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I came across this quote many years ago, and it really stuck with me.

“The secret of the universe is this: The universe doesn't care. That part of the job is yours.”

― David Gerrold

First and foremost, you need to care. No one will or should care about your health and fitness like you. They've got their own issues. You can't expect it of them, but you need to demand it of yourself.

That said, the Doctor needs friends and companions. He always has. And this is a great place to find people who may care more than most when it comes to health and fitness. Take some time to find people on here you can relate to.

I popped in here to say much the same, but it's already been said. Very well, too. :flowerforyou:
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you are doing this for the approval of others 'you' will never be satisfied, there will always be another standard that you cannot measure up to. The accolades are icing on the cake - the cake that is what you are doing for yourself! If it matters, I am impressed with your new achievement; I know that feeling for myself and you should celebrate it!
  • txguard61
    txguard61 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to get into the mindset. I do it for me! It wasnt always like that so i know what you mean. But now, since i understand that concept better, i am so much happier all the time. When i get noticed....it is just icing on the cake...and its MY CAKE!!! I made it myself, and its the best no calorie cake i have ever had.

Learn to enjoy what you have done for yourself, through your own hard work.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The people above. You know your stuff. Don't do this for your family. Do this for you and only you. Make you feel like you have accomplish something by coming to the message boards . Which is a big step. And I am proud of you. Next acomplish the plans you have in baby steps. By following a eating ad exercise plan. Doing household chores burn calories. And just taking a small
    Walk will hep you physically ad emotional.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Yep this should all be for YOU. You're the one you have to impress. No one else.
  • sj_1970
    Options
    I know, but on hard days, unless I am noticed, I end up screwing over my entire plan.It's like a relapse, and it can last for weeks, which just hurts when I worked so much for results.
    I hear you, I worked at places where no one was ever congratulated on a job well done EVER. Then I started working at a place where if someone does a good job they hear "well done!" or "good job!" total difference in atmospheres.
    Both of these were places where everyone was doing a good job.

If you need someone to be your cheerleader, do you have any close friends that you can talk to that you can say, hey when you ask about my day and I say I've done XYZ today, tell me good job? It would help me stay motivated.
    If you do ask them.
    Also for a lot of people it's not intuitive for them to say 'good job' or recognize what you need unless you tell them. You could try talking to your family, but have a back up plan in case they aren't in to it, so you have somewhere else to get your cheerleading' from.
    Ultimately yes, you're doing it all for you. That's what matters. Even if you write in a journal every day that says I did a good frickin job today running a mile in x amount of time!

I used to hike, when I was done with my hike but before I was out of the woods I would holler out I'm Frickin AWESOME! really loud, which made me feel good. You could try something like that :)
    It was my way of patting myself on the back when there wasn't anyone else to do it. It was also a way for me to realize I was pretty dang awesome without anyone else's help or input.

Though hearing kudos sometimes, is nice.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else, I say you're doing this for you not someone else and until that changes, you're probably shortchanging yourself in all aspects of your life.

But also

This is where you get to be purposeful about who you let in your life and spend your limited time with. Your family isn't into it. Fine?. What about your friends? If no, create friends who are. People at work, in the gym or your running club to start. A friends lust here of supportive strangers on the Internet. You want it? Go get it. Don't just sit there sad that you don't have it. And until that changes, you're probably shortchanging yourself in all aspects of your life.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Get some good MFP friends, get an instagram, join a runners group on facebook
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I've recently learned that it can be valuable to "compartmentalize" your life. People who are not actively involved in the same endeavors that you are focusing on tend to not care much about your achievements in that area.

I have MFP friends who care about my healthy eating and fitness accomplishments. Other people don't particularly care about my lifting PRs or losing a pound.

I have school friends who care about the challenges and stresses that are inherent in working through a doctorate program while also working full-time. Others don't get it.

I have supportive co-workers who understand the ins and outs of working as a nurse, supervising a department and dealing with dealing with difficult people in a health care environment. Others don't understand.

Find people who are engaged in a similar challenge and participate in an active process of mutual support.
  • sj_1970
    Options
    By the way Congratulations on slicing off that 5 minutes off your time you must feel really proud of yourself :) keep up the good work!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I've recently learned that it can be valuable to "compartmentalize" your life. People who are not actively involved in the same endeavors that you are focusing on tend to not care much about your achievements in that area.

I have MFP friends who care about my healthy eating and fitness accomplishments. Other people don't particularly care about my lifting PRs or losing a pound.

I have school friends who care about the challenges and stresses that are inherent in working through a doctorate program while also working full-time. Others don't get it.

I have supportive co-workers who understand the ins and outs of working as a nurse, supervising a department and dealing with dealing with difficult people in a health care environment. Others don't understand.

Find people who are engaged in a similar challenge and participate in an active process of mutual support.

Good advice.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If u want to chat anytime I am here
  • Arnegard
    Arnegard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be doing this for anyone else but yourself.

This. Celebrate yourself.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Great job!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I am proud of you
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you're relying on other people for motivation you're going to be forever disappointed. Find a different source of motivation.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If you attach your goals to getting praise and attention you'll be screwed sooner or later. Say you get your attention? What then? People won't be fawning over the 'new you' forever.

You need self-motivation to start, tenacity to reach your goals, and discipline to maintain them thereafter.

Motivation is for whiners with no discipline.