Smith machine or squat rack

Options

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    Personally, I would prefer to do free weight squats if I had a lifting partner or a power cage. I do not have either of those luxuries

This is my issue as well. For those who would say "Get some free weights" or "go to a different gym" I say this: I can't afford to, so if you would like to contribute to my gym fund, I'll give you PayPal info. I would love to have just free weights/squat rack/whatever, or be able to afford to go to a gym with those available. I can't afford either one, so therefore I make do with the few weights and the Smith machine that I do have access to. FWIW, I do other forms of squats as well (body weight, dumbell, etc) and lunges, so it's better than nothing.

Yeah I love how everyone's immediate answer is 'if your gym doesn't offer XYZ go find a new gym!" That's awesome for those people who have the luxury of a multitude of gyms in close proximity and that are (obviously) quite affordable. It's sadly not always the case.

I go to Planet Fitness. My husband has the black card so it's $20/month and I go for free No, they don't have a squat rack and have a smith machine but to quit there and go to the gym that does offer that would mean upping my membership to close to $100/month (for both of us) and if I wanted to take any of the exercise classes offered it'd be more money. Add in the fact that it would tack about 10-15 minutes on to my commute to the gym (currently it's about 1/2 an hour) I'll stick with PF based on the price and convenience. Does it suck not having a squat rack and some 'fancy' equipment? Sometimes yes but I make do by doing dumbbell squats and other things for my legs.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would prefer to do free weight squats if I had a lifting partner or a power cage. I do not have either of those luxuries

This is my issue as well. For those who would say "Get some free weights" or "go to a different gym" I say this: I can't afford to, so if you would like to contribute to my gym fund, I'll give you PayPal info. I would love to have just free weights/squat rack/whatever, or be able to afford to go to a gym with those available. I can't afford either one, so therefore I make do with the few weights and the Smith machine that I do have access to. FWIW, I do other forms of squats as well (body weight, dumbell, etc) and lunges, so it's better than nothing.

I go to a nice gym and they don't have squat racks. Even with a squat rack though, you still need a lifting partner. I have seen guys in high school drop 600 lbs on a cheap squat rack and have observed how the momentum of the weight can make the rack tip over. Youtube is filled with videos like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGf3oPiqmwA
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    All we have in our gyms is a Smith Machine... and they call them squat racks.. :-|
    false advertising :explode:

Right?! That's what I thought too... So until I get my own for at home, this is what I have to use.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Also, just to play devil's advocate here, I (and many others) go to gyms that may not be as full-featured when it comes to free weights; they cram as many cardio machines into the space as they can. My little satellite gym for example only has a smith machine and no free rack.

I don't think that is really devil's advocate since the OP has the option of both.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    This is sort of like asking if you would rather have a Pinto or a Mercedes Benz.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I go to a nice gym and they don't have squat racks. Even with a squat rack though, you still need a lifting partner. I have seen guys in high school drop 600 lbs on a cheap squat rack and have observed how the momentum of the weight can make the rack tip over. Youtube is filled with videos like these:

I squat a lone all the time.

Granted i'm not lifting 600 lbs- but it's pushing 200 lbs- I've dumped front and back squats before... it happens. You get over that "I need a lifting partner chit" real quick if you want to lift. I don't lift with people- not really- I recently adopted a lifting buddy- but we only lift maybe 1 time a week together? maybe?

I life alone- and I'm just fine. Knowing how to dump a weight is about as important as knowing how to lift it in the first place.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be mean, I am actually kind of curious. I see a lot of people posting that a better gym is too expensive. In my area (ATL) many of the "smaller" gyms are really well equipped and cost about 30 bucks. There are one or two that were cheaper but were surprisingly well stocked in the free weight dept. That being said none of them fit my other needs. The "better", "bigger" what have you commercial gym that I decided to go with was.... 30 bucks a month, there were more expensive gyms that I didn't go with because they had a number of the same issues that the "cheap" ones had, namely only one location. So I'm curious if I'm just lucky to live in a city with a cajillion options or if gyms are just waaaayyyyy more expensive once you leave the dirty south.

EDIT: BTW when I say cheaper, the difference for most was about 5 bucks.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

If your squat rack is set up correctly, this isn't an issue because the weights don't have that far to fall. Also, properly dumping weights is a little different from dropping them like they did in that video. Not even a Smith Machine can fix stupidity.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

If your squat rack is set up correctly, this isn't an issue because the weights don't have that far to fall. Also, properly dumping weights is a little different from dropping them like they did in that video. Not even a Smith Machine can fix stupidity.

It also helps to actually get under the center of the bar. That poor guy was off kilter from the beginning . . . lolz
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Yeah I love how everyone's immediate answer is 'if your gym doesn't offer XYZ go find a new gym!" That's awesome for those people who have the luxury of a multitude of gyms in close proximity and that are (obviously) quite affordable. It's sadly not always the case.

I go to Planet Fitness. My husband has the black card so it's $20/month and I go for free No, they don't have a squat rack and have a smith machine but to quit there and go to the gym that does offer that would mean upping my membership to close to $100/month (for both of us) and if I wanted to take any of the exercise classes offered it'd be more money. Add in the fact that it would tack about 10-15 minutes on to my commute to the gym (currently it's about 1/2 an hour) I'll stick with PF based on the price and convenience. Does it suck not having a squat rack and some 'fancy' equipment? Sometimes yes but I make do by doing dumbbell squats and other things for my legs.
    I think if you total up the fuel costs for that 60-minute round trip 3-4x per week, and the monthly dues on top of it, a nice used set of barbell weights becomes much more affordable. All you really need is a squat rack, a flat bench, an olympic barbell, and a set of iron. 2 of each size plate should be fine to start with. That can be had around here in great shape for less than $500, or less than a year of gym membership plus fuel. There's also the time factor... you would get back an hour of driving time in your day. I'm certainly not trying to tell you what to do, just pointing out that it might be more affordable than you think to build a very effective home gym.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options

I squat a lone all the time.

Granted i'm not lifting 600 lbs- but it's pushing 200 lbs- I've dumped front and back squats before... it happens. You get over that "I need a lifting partner chit" real quick if you want to lift. I don't lift with people- not really- I recently adopted a lifting buddy- but we only lift maybe 1 time a week together? maybe?

I life alone- and I'm just fine. Knowing how to dump a weight is about as important as knowing how to lift it in the first place.

i have zero worries about lifting alone either. ill dump weight quicker than you can blink if i feel things going south. my last dump specticle was a 385 squat session that i was just careless about set up. the weight moved off my base about 1/2" so i tossed it. thats one main reason i do not like a spotter or like to spot someone squatting. i dont care who you are if a significant amount of weight starts to come down you are not going to stop it, most likely you will suffer some injuries. i squatted on a smith machine one time, and never again. range of motion sucked. very uncomfortable.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hey! Love squats and just got into heavy lifting! Is it best to use the Smith machine instead of the squat rack??

Squat rack, always always always.
  • Jacqson84
    Jacqson84 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The squat rack, it is then! Thank you all!
  • MyssPhytt
    MyssPhytt Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Been using a Smith's machine for my 5x5 workouts and yesterday I tried with free weights. Much, much, harder and I could tell I had to really work to stabilize and use more muscle. I think the Smith's machine was a great way to start out and try to work on technique but at the same time it ended up hindering my technique to some degree and I nearly hurt my back doing military presses. I also had to start off using less weight when working with free weights so it was somewhat discouraging feeling like I was starting over again. But in the long run, I think free weights is a better choice.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    For me, as an official noob, I prefer the squat rack. I don't want the machine to do anything for me. I need to use all those little stabilizing muscles. And the word is that I will get stronger that way.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Squat rack. /thread
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that both would be preferable to lifting that snake you have around your neck. Sorry, but eewww...
  • nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    Everyone has said it. Avoid the smith machine like the plague.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Everyone has said it. Avoid the smith machine like the plague.

where am I supposed to put my sweat mop towel then???

and where am I supposed to sit to rest between sets!!!!