How do you meet sugar gol?

Replies

• brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Fruit causes yeast infections? I'm so confused.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Are you diagnosed celiac? Otherwise, why no gluten?

You don't eat fruit because it has too much sugar? Please tell me that you're kidding.

I don't track sugar at all. That doesn't mean that I'm eating candy all day, but I get plenty of protein and fat, fiber, and micronutrients from the variety of foods that I eat so the sugar in the fruit, milk and ice cream I eat doesn't matter. And I certainly don't waste my time tracking it.

in respone to your gluten comment--- i don't have celiac disease, but i know i have gluten sensitivity, and a lot of people do. my arms and back will break out in a rash if i eat too much gluten and my skin will go to ****. i'll also generally feel like crap. you don't have to be condescending about it, maybe try educating yourself it.

Have you had medical testing done for your "gluten sensitivity"? ........ or is this self diagnosed? People who are actually gluten sensitive is a much smaller percentage of the population.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member

You don't eat fruit because it has too much sugar? Please tell me that you're kidding.

I don't track sugar at all. That doesn't mean that I'm eating candy all day, but I get plenty of protein and fat, fiber, and micronutrients from the variety of foods that I eat so the sugar in the fruit, milk and ice cream I eat doesn't matter. And I certainly don't waste my time tracking it.

in respone to your gluten comment--- i don't have celiac disease, but i know i have gluten sensitivity, and a lot of people do. my arms and back will break out in a rash if i eat too much gluten and my skin will go to ****. i'll also generally feel like crap. you don't have to be condescending about it, maybe try educating yourself it.

Have you had medical testing done for your "gluten sensitivity"? ........ or is this self diagnosed? People who are actually gluten sensitive is a much smaller percentage of the population.

lol, you don't have to be tested to figure out that you have a gluten sensitivity. i am a very educated health care professional and although you could say its "self diagnosed", its much like not needing a medical exam to determine that you have a headache.

not to mention that the best way to test if you have a gluten sensitivity is to eliminate it from your diet and see if your symptoms go away. that's what most docs have you do anyway.

i found a list of things can be caused by gluten sensitivity. i can check off numbers 1,2,3,6,7,9, and 10 when i have too much gluten in my diet for too long.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7482/10-signs-youre-gluten-intolerant.html
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    I increased my sugar number, because it was unattainable. Dont count the sugars that come from natural sources-- only the ones from processed sugars! Unfortunately, MFP doesnt differentiate. Some sugar is NORMAL. Sorry.

Has your doctor mentioned the candida yeast diet to you yet??? Yeast infections typically START in the gut and move to the external areas (trying to being polite). You can clear up the outside one all you want, but if you dont treat your partner and your intestinal problem you will never completely nail down the problem. If it is that bad and reoccuring you need to deal with infections at the whole body level which means diet- which it sounds like you may be aware since you cut fruit and sugar. You need to balance the healthy bacteria in the gut and that is thru diet and meds in tandem. Start with a site like WholeApproach.com first and spend some time googling candida diet. But whatever you do, still keep your doc in the loop.

Gluten free is only going to be in your favor if it means you are eating natural, whole foods. :drinker:

P.S. I am GF too and my daily sugar number is usually between 50-70. I live with it and continue to keep a mindful eye on it, daily.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

lulz - another self diagnosed gluten issue . . . it's a new issue every few years. I hear that it's very fashionable these days so at least you're in with the crowd.
  • sobriquet84

lulz - another self diagnosed gluten issue . . . it's a new issue every few years. I hear that it's very fashionable these days so at least you're in with the crowd.

just because you don't experience gluten sensitivity doesn't mean no other human does either. i CAN have some gluten in my diet. i don't panic and suddenly become paranoid and crippled if i eat a bagel. but if i eat bagel every day for a week, then yeah, i will start to suffer.
  • BeachIron

just because you don't experience gluten sensitivity doesn't mean no other human does either. i CAN have some gluten in diet. i don't panic and suddenly become paranoid and crippled if i eat a bagel. but if i eat bagel every day for a week, then yeah, i will start to suffer.

Sounds like that's totally legit. Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I set my sugar goal to 150 grams a day. That made it pretty easy to stay under.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,064 Member
    I am always over my sugar goal on MFP. I just ignore it.
  • jonnythan
    "self diagnosed"

Hehe.
  • BeachIron
    "self diagnosed"

Hehe.

This pretty much sums up my opinion on the "fashionable" food "sensitivities," and like the author, I've suffered from my share of real allergies.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/5-signs-your-gluten-allergy-is-fake-2/
  • sobriquet84
    "self diagnosed"

Hehe.

reducing/eliminating gluten from the diet and assessing your response is the most widely used diagnostic test for non-celiac gluten sensitivity used by doctors today unless you are exhibiting SEVERE symptoms, to which they can test your blood for antibodies targeting gliadin fragments, though insurance will rarely cover the lab work.

its not a healthier diet for those that don't need it. but for people who DO respond very well to decreasing or eliminiating gluten in their diet, the response and benefits are incredibly marked.
  • jonnythan
    "self diagnosed"

Hehe.

reducing/eliminating gluten from the diet and assessing your response is the most widely used diagnostic test for non-celiac gluten sensitivity used by doctors today unless you are exhibiting SEVERE symptoms, to which they can test your blood for antibodies targeting gliadin fragments, though insurance will rarely cover the lab work.

its not a healthier diet for those that don't need it. but for people who DO respond very well to decreasing or eliminiating gluten in their diet, the response and benefits are incredibly marked.

OK, doctor.

Oh, wait. I mean "health professional."
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    My sugar is from fruit most days. As long as it is the " good sugar", I don't worry about it.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member

Your posts look exactly this awesome to me every time I've seen one in the last day or so.
    48a.gif
    Keep up the good work!
  • jonnythan

Your posts look exactly this awesome to me every time I've seen one in the last day or so.
    48a.gif
    Keep up the good work!

:laugh:

I try.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    I haven't even hit it once in 60 days...
  • BeachIron
    "self diagnosed"

Hehe.

OK, doctor.

Oh, wait. I mean "health professional."

"Please take this to your car care professional, and have an A1 day."
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

Damnit, I was about to come tell how I just set mine to some stupid number (200 I think.) Oh well.

^What this guy said.
  • jonnythan

Damnit, I was about to come tell how I just set mine to some stupid number (200 I think.) Oh well.

^What this guy said.

I did go over on August 25. Breakfast alone had 144 grams.