Is curvy the same thing as fat?

Options
My measurements are 34-25-38 and people call me curvy. And since curvy is just a nicer synonym for fat, did they really mean I was fat? I'm so confused with the difference between curvy vs. fat. What do you classify as "curvy"?

Replies

• miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Different people define it differently.

curv·y
    ˈkərvē/Submit
    adjective
    adjective: curvy; comparative adjective: curvier; superlative adjective: curviest
    having many curves.
    "a curvy stretch of road"
    informal
    (esp. of a woman's figure) shapely and voluptuous.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I don't see curvy as fat personally.
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    When men use the word, its meant positively (correctly, bcuz they wouldnt call a fat woman just curvy), when women use it they just mean fat (they are trying to be nice). My experience :)
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I don't think curvy and fat are the same thing...

Fat is fat.

ETA - Slim women can be curvy too!
    I hate the "real women have curves" excuse for being fat. However, if someone needs this to make themselves feel better...so be it.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When men use the word, its meant positively (correctly, bcuz they wouldnt call a fat woman just curvy), when women use it they just mean fat (they are trying to be nice). My experience :)

I agree with this! Any my measurements are similar to OP's, hips are 41" though....from all the kids I guess :-)
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My measurements are 34-25-38 and people call me curvy. And since curvy is just a nicer synonym for fat, did they really mean I was fat? I'm so confused with the difference between curvy vs. fat. What do you classify as "curvy"?

I think when people are calling somebody else curvy then no it does not mean overweight at all, usually more in line with sexy, when I see somebody call themselves curvy then a lot of times it is the same thing.
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options

I agree with this! Any my measurements are similar to OP's, hips are 41" though....from all the kids I guess :-)

My hips are 42 and I hav no kids lol just puerto rican :)
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I think curvy means a very defined waist. Curvy girls can be thin or chubby or anywhere in between, but being round does not make one curvy.
  • emmawoolf84
    emmawoolf84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Not at all!
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I am fat.

I have curves.

I have more curves than what I want and what I personally find attractive.

I want to be considered curvy. This is what I am striving for. Less pudge, less curves in the "wrong" places.

I have seen women who were slim that I'd consider curvy, I've seen women who were considered not slim that are curvy.

Healthy is what is attractive, and that covers a lot of "shapes"
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    To me, curvy is far from fat, and most def a positive.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    No, curvy is bone structure and where body fat is predominantly stored. I have seen fat girls who had no curves.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    most people use the term curvy as a nice way to say fat.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I don't think curvy and fat are the same thing...

Fat is fat.

ETA - Slim women can be curvy too!
    I hate the "real women have curves" excuse for being fat. However, if someone needs this to make themselves feel better...so be it.

All of this.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    No, curvy is not fat. Curvy usually means having more of an hourglass and/or pear type shape. Thin and no so thin women can be curvy.

An hourglass figure has waist measurement of about 9-12ish inches smaller (or 75%) then the bust & hip measurements and the bust & hip measurements are in balance. Pear is similar, but the hip measurement is larger.
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options

This^^^

But personally, I don't think curvy is the same thing as fat. However, I've been called thick and that one SUCKS. I wanted to punch that guy. He made me cry! I was smaller then than I am now, come to think of it...
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It's been my experience anything a man labels a woman it is the wrong label so I just go with whatever she says she is. Even then I try to avoid using the label since usually when I've repeated the exact label she gave herself it's somehow wrong.
  • samammay
    Options
    Sophia Vergara is curvy.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Curvy is a shape. Many "thin" woman are considered curvy. And if someone calls you curvy, you must know that it is a compliment. Women are supposed to have curves.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    gillian-mckeith-nigella-lawson-comparison-520.jpg

Nigella is curvy, Gillian McKeith isn't.