Are "before" pictures worth taking?

Options

Replies

• USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY - that way you can see how far you have come!!!!
    I take pictures every thirty days - I wear my goal bikini - I dont see a tremendous amount of difference right now - but feel it when i wear my clothes!!!!
    You dont have to share your pictures - but you will be glad you took them down the road!
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Not only does it motivate me, I use photo shop to create an ongoing ticker collage.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    YES! I wish I had more.

Also, most cameras have self-timers. You don't need to ask anyone to take your photo. Just prop it up on a tripod or a dresser across the room, and no one else ever needs to see them unless you want to show them.
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Most definitely. There are even a couple apps that will allow to you to take pics and setup a side-by-side montage to best visualize progress.

I use moldiv and I love it - i have an iphone
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Hell yea it is!!!!!!!!!
  • tomich54
    tomich54 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I say yes - I have a special folder on my iphone where I keep them in progression. It's like looking through a flip book from start to current! :laugh:
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Thus far I have taken pictures about every 10 lbs lost. My boyfriend was looking at some pictures from our first trip to Europe a couple of years ago (just before I joined MFP) and he was stunned at how different I looked. When you see yourself every day it's tough to see changes sometimes but you can't miss it when you look at pictures.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I didn't take before pictures. Now I wish I had.

What's the harm in taking them - you can delete them later on if you don't want them. It's hard to get them back though, if you never take them in the first place.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    They have definitely helped me on my journey so far. Whenever I get frustrated I just look at my first pic and my current one and realize I've come a looooong way and to stay course to my goal. I keep them on my phone for those days I just don't feel like I can do it. I will say I did take the pics but I didn't really start paying attention to them until after about 6 months.

A small example, a bit over a years progress:

First:
    2z9i5vm.jpg

and Current:
    25kmu1j.jpg
  • ssyer
    ssyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes you must take photos or you will regret it, I lost 84 pounds altogether I wish I had more photos when I was bigger.
  • dlibonati
    dlibonati Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've never really taken "before" pictures prior to beginning a weight loss push/journey. From experience, does anyone find it really helpful or motivating to have before and after pictures? Has anyone been really disappointed?

I'm just looking for some way to really track my progress that isn't subjective, but I'm not really one to take pictures.

Absolutely! I did a front/side/back one wearing the same outfit and it's hugely motivating. Areas come off differently for people and it's nice to see even the small changes, ie less overhang on the shorts or that pesky backfat disapeering!
  • sunflwrgrl412
    sunflwrgrl412 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    THIS is my biggest regret! I never did either and I am so mad at myself. I wish I would have taken measurements too!
  • Ibleedlipstick
    Ibleedlipstick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    They have been worth taking for me! I've lost about 25lbs in the past two months, and I can't see it in the mirror yet. I can still wear most of my clothes, and no one else has really noticed that I've lost weight. However, when I put the photos side-by-side I can see major improvement, and that is what helps me step away from the Swedish Fish after dinner.
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    take them! even if you don't ever let anyone else see them, you can look back at yourself and be amazed :)
  • BranMuffin86
    BranMuffin86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I find it VERY motivating. Since I'm not going for a specific weight I base most things off the pics. I take new pics every month. Pictures catch the changes that you may not notice. I find it almost essential.
  • Hunnib23
    Hunnib23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    YES! Not only is it motivating, but there are times when I have felt like I was making NO progress. I would take a couple of pics to compare to my befores and see the changes I couldn't just by looking in the mirror.
  • jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I don't know........ You tell me???

B4andafter.jpg

OP Yes before Pictures are important.... I keep a picture of that guy on the tractor on my visor in my truck and every time I go to the gym or to the park to workout I can see just how far I have come....

Best of Luck

ED, wow man. Incredible. You are just an inspiration to life. I vote you for MFP mayor!!!

He's got my vote, awesome job!!
  • Twright0386
    Twright0386 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No doubt take progress pics, this was the change in 3 months time that I had. Had lost about 40 lbs at this point. Was astonished by the change.

d12u.jpg
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Why not just take a pic and put it where you don't have to see it? Then, when you've reached your goal you may be very happy to have the 'evidence'. Otherwise, well, you've got zip.