Are "before" pictures worth taking?

Options

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, no, I did not think that taking formal before pictures was necessary. I knew that I was fat. I didn't need to see the evidence laid out in a photograph.

Besides, pictures exist of me at high weights already. I have probably at least two sets of "before" pictures from at least two previous failed attempts to lose weight. Sadly, at least one set of "before" pictures is of me from maybe 18 years ago weighing less than I do now.

So, no, for me it was not necessary.

I have family photographs of myself at the high point at which I started my current weight loss program a year ago. I have lost roughly 45 pounds since then. I have not once looked at those photographs in the past year. I look at myself in the mirror and I know that I look better now than I did then.
    I'm just looking for some way to really track my progress that isn't subjective, but I'm not really one to take pictures.

Depending on your goals (weight loss vs. body recomposition), frankly, photographs can be entirely subjective. I have to admit that I look a some people's before and after photographs on the success forum and I can't always see a difference when we're talking about ten pounds here or 2% of body fat there. Big changes, however, are noticeable.

If you truly want an objective measure of your progress, then I suggest you record your weight on the scale, take tape measurements, and get your body fat measured by someone who knows how to do it (calipers, or BodPod, or DEXA, or hydrostatic weighing - They are better than BIA, but they all have their flaws. Do your research.) Don't forget to also have your blood pressure checked, your resting heart rate checked, your cholesterol, your fasting glucose and your Hemoglobin A1C. These are all data points that are likely to improve with improvements in your weight and fitness level. You can also do fitness testing (various body weight exercises and your current 1 mile walk or run timing, etc.).

Oh, and put away a current pair of your jeans and a top that fits well in a drawer. Don't put them on again until you have reached your goal. The way that they fit will be proof enough of how far you have come once you complete your weight loss program. (For the folks who cry "Pics or it didn't happen", then you can always model your droopy drawers.)
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Um, ABSOLUTELY!!! Not just the "before" pictures, but the "during" pictures as well. I have lost a lot of weight. But there are still times when I look in the mirror, and the baggage in my mind won't let me see the changes, and I still see the fat girl I used to be, even though I'm most definitely not that girl anymore. But the pictures are hard evidence of the changes that have happened. The "during" pictures are kind of a current status check, and help keep things in perspective.

Also useful: Taking before and current measurements.

I have a schedule: I weigh in weekly. I take measurements monthly. I take status photos every 3 months. Plus, compare random pictures that are taken. It's all helped me greatly.

This is why: The difference is immediately noticaeble in the pictures, even if my brain doesn't let me see the changes in the mirror:

ConcertBlack2005-2013_zpsf2bea599.png
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I've never really taken "before" pictures prior to beginning a weight loss push/journey. From experience, does anyone find it really helpful or motivating to have before and after pictures? Has anyone been really disappointed?

I'm just looking for some way to really track my progress that isn't subjective, but I'm not really one to take pictures.

I have forgotten to do that in the past when embarking on a weightloss plan, I always regret not having those before photos.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I don't know........ You tell me???

B4andafter.jpg

OP Yes before Pictures are important.... I keep a picture of that guy on the tractor on my visor in my truck and every time I go to the gym or to the park to workout I can see just how far I have come....

Best of Luck

WOW!!! So transformed yourself! AWESOME Job! Bigtime!!!Be proud;-)
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options

B4andafter.jpg

OP Yes before Pictures are important.... I keep a picture of that guy on the tractor on my visor in my truck and every time I go to the gym or to the park to workout I can see just how far I have come....

Best of Luck
    If MFP had a 'like' button (and it should), Ed's would be maxed out by now; what a phenomenal metamorphosis!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I didn't take any this time because I was so horrified. I have one somewhere that shows my face and my arms and frankly it's enough. I'm sure I could ask my mom for some if I really wanted though... but I really don't, honestly.
  • ihammen
    ihammen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I didn't take any before pics, but recently saw some of myself at Christmas last year, and compared it to now. Last year, my face looks puffy and my eyes look more sunken in, not to mention how puffy my body looks. When I look at pics of myself now, you can really see the difference. One of my facebook friends whom I haven't seen in a couple of years commented on how good I look. I have lost about 35 lbs, with another 20 to go. It is good motivation!
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! Way to stay motivated. The let you know where you came from and where you do not want to go back to. I it also helps with seeing what other's see - good or bad.
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Better to have them and not need them, than the other way around. Plus, seeing the 2 side by side will probably make you very proud of what you have accomplished.
  • NC0224
    Options
    I didn't use to take before pictures, but last week I started an ab workout challenge and took before pictures. Then took pictures Friday morning, and the change was great just in the first 4 days of the challenge! It is definitely a motivational thing to take pictures, and I would recommend to everyone no matter what size you are!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    YES.

I regret not having legit before pics.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Considering you see before/after pictures on here ALL the time, I would say it is relevant.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Um.. YES! Because there WILL be days when you're frustrated, ready to give up, just see absolutely "no change" in the mirror... and someone will suggest taking progress pics. You won't want to do it, of course, because you just "know" you haven't made any progress an d this is just a big fat waste of your time... Do it anyway and you'll be surprised and find the motivation to keep going.

True story. :wink:

Exactly!
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would say they are. I've lost just over 40 lbs, and I wish I had a picture from the start of the year. I'm sure I could find a picture from a few months before I started with MFP & working out, but I always go with one where I feel look my heaviest/worst (April 2010). I'd love to be able to compare a more recent picture, but it's too late now!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Just make sure if it's a selfie in the bathroom you flush the toilet and put the lid down.
  • cl_green
    Options
    I agree! That's AMAZING! So proud of you! You're such an inspiration!
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Most definitely. There are even a couple apps that will allow to you to take pics and setup a side-by-side montage to best visualize progress.

Do you have the name of some of these apps? I'd be curious to see what they're like.

I used Fotor to do the one that is on my profile pic - I keep telling everyone "It's like scrapbooking, without the mess!" :bigsmile:
  • cl_green
    Options

B4andafter.jpg

Best of Luck

That's amazing! You're such an inspiration! So proud of you!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    its great to see where you are and where you have been :)
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    IMO, pics are the MOST important, most motivating tool to track your progress. Bodyfat and measurements are next...scale is last.