Idea about what to do with space in the front yard

Options
james6998
james6998 Posts: 743 Member
This is my front yard
IMG_0117_zpsf192e89b.jpg

We live around 120 feet from the road. A thought occurred to me the other day. Why not put a garden in the front yard. Honestly I couldn't give a rats *kitten* what other people are doing with their property. Grass, what good is grass to me? Fresh veggies, now thats another story. Considering our financial situation I think it would be a very intelligent thing for me to do. How would you feel about doing something other then what everyone considers normal?

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i want a cuddle garden in my front yard. I'd grow puppies and kittens and bunnies.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I think a garden out there is a brilliant idea!! I've considered doing the same, myself, but, have a big garden already out in my too large of a backyard.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i honestly thought what to do with the "front yard" was going to be code for personal grooming.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    That's what my husbands family did when he was growing up.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Some simple 6x6 boxed plots would allow you to keep up a nice appearance and give you flexibility in planting and care. Probably no more than four of them.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    pretty space, you should get some baby lambs to eat that long grass.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    step 1) obtain cinder blocks
    step 2) obtain rusty El Camino
    step 3) place rusty El Camino on cinder blocks
    step 4) remove wheels

5378d1362680744t-how-move-car-hates-roll-into-garage-3920365677_ef2001a409.jpg

your neighbors will LOVE you!
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Do it! Veggie gardens can be pretty too, just put some nasturtium seeds and marigolds around the perimeter:)
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    A garden could definitely be good, plus not super visible from the road. If you're interested in less work and more chill though I'd go with a gazebo or something like that where you could put a fire pit and some comfy chairs.
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have slowly converted my front lawn to raised veggie gardens and lots of fruit bushes...I'm ALL IN for edible landscaping! The key is to keep it neat and tidy. Otherwise the neighbors get pissy.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Lots of people are doing similar things now, mainly due to food costs and concern about ingredients. There are some great videos on YouTube about urban gardening (saw one where a guy grew crazy amounts of stuff in a tiny front yard in L.A.). There are also a lot of books out currently about small scale "homesteading" and how to make the most food wise out of a typical suburban lot. I've gotten tons of them from my local library and there is some very good info out there. You really can make it look nice, too, if that is at all part of your goal. Personally, I hate to water/tend any plants that I can't eat! And, if the neighbors object, you might can bribe them with veggies...........
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Well we tried in the past with one in the backyard but, lets just say the animals had a ball, deers, raccoons, bears. When it was all over we had nothing and the animals had a feast. Gardens are actually quite nice looking as well.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like the idea of edible gardens... front or backyard and if I were your neighbor, I wouldn't care as long as your property is kept up... BUT more so than the neighbors, I would find out what the city ordinances are, if there are any. I know there are a few cities that don't look too kindly on people who are trying to live more sustainably.
  • mnxl
    mnxl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i like meat, fence it for sheep, chickens and a steer. us the el comino mentioned above for the shelter..
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Make a garden :)

frontyardgarden.jpg
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    voting for edible garden. doing the same to mine.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    step 1) obtain cinder blocks
    step 2) obtain rusty El Camino
    step 3) place rusty El Camino on cinder blocks
    step 4) remove wheels

5378d1362680744t-how-move-car-hates-roll-into-garage-3920365677_ef2001a409.jpg

your neighbors will LOVE you!

Hey! When did you get a picture of my yard?!!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    BReiRNwCQAALvxp.jpg
  • twenty20tunnelvision
    Options
    Do what you want, it's your yard. If anyone says anything to you about it. Say nothing. Stare at them in the eyes, without blinking. Then bust a flex, much like that of your photo.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I've seen that! I think it's a great idea. My also inspire others. My husband plants veggies in oddball spots in the yard. If we grow them in our front yard I can see the neighbors picking our veggies.