How do you make your green beans?

Options
asnail
asnail Posts: 15 Member
We are eating a lot of green beans at our house because they are low in calories and carbs. I am looking for new ways to cook them that is healthy. Right now all I do is put them in a pan and add a beef boullion cube, seasoned salt, and black pepper. I am so burned out on this way. Any ideas....THANKS!!!

Angela

Replies

• clover7
    clover7 Posts: 15
    Options
    To be honest, I buy them from Wal-Mart in the frozen bags. I get home boil some water then dump the whole bag in there. Cook for 5-7 minutes, then drain. Eat.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thin slice some onions or shallots, cut up a few potatoes, toss with some olive oil, salt, pepper, other spices and bake for about 15 minutes. I also love to put the pan on the grill and cook them there, as well.

Blanch, chill, and use in a salad.

L
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    We get frozen ones too - we like to wrap them in foil with some balsamic vinegar and steam them in the pouch on the grill. Awesome. Assuming you like vinegar of course ;). I've also eaten them "cold" tossed in italian dressing. Kinda like a bean salad.
  • clover7
    clover7 Posts: 15
    Options
    We get frozen ones too - we like to wrap them in foil with some balsamic vinegar and steam them in the pouch on the grill. Awesome. Assuming you like vinegar of course ;). I've also eaten them "cold" tossed in italian dressing. Kinda like a bean salad.

I may try that next time I cook on the grill. Sounds very good.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Microwaving is not the best option, but I also get the frozen bag (Nature's Promise organic), cook in the microwave for 6 1/2 minutes with a tiny bit of water. Drain water, add about 1 tbsp of olive oil, a pinch of salt, some cracked black pepper, garlic powder, and parsley. Stir and eat. They are tasty this way.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Be careful of the bullion and seasoning salt! The bullion alone has a LOT of sodium. I love to spray them with a bit of olive oil (that comes in the spray can like Pam-I use that on everything!) and do salt and pepper or lemon pepper and saute them. I've put jerk and cajun seasoning on them too. Just depends on what I'm cooking them with. They are also great with slivered almonds and a bit of honey.
  • nbenos
    nbenos Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also saute them in beef boullion but I add some shredded coconut and slivered almonds. I like for the coconut and almonds to be toasted when the dish is done. It adds a few calories but also adds some nice flavor! Also check out a website called allrecipes.com they have tons of recipes and most of them give the nutritional value and calories for each dish.
  • Buppie
    Buppie Posts: 43
    Options
    I used canned green beans with Ham (Jamon) bullion. Or I make a dish that has the canned green beans and potatoes with diced tomatoes and turkey kielbasa. You can also make them in the crockpot, with 6 cans (3 drained, 3 undrained), layering uncooked turkey bacon, onion and beef bullion. Cook for several hours - YUMMY!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    okay so here in this part of France there are three preferred recipes
    steam them then toss them in the wok with a little olive oil
    1 and garlic

2 and then at the last moment add some lemon juice

3 and garlic and parsley and mushrooms

any either all are simply delicious and seem like a real treat! Bon apetit!
  • sunnysunsetbeaches
    Options
    I steam frozen ones for 8 minutes, fresh ones need longer. Drain the water add drizzle on 1 T olive, slice in an onion and throw in some raw almonds, sprinkle in italian seasoning and salt. Saute for a few minutes and enjoy.
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    Steam them in a little bit of salted water. Drain well, then while they're still hot, dress them with olive oil, sliced garlic, and black pepper. Put them in the fridge (or on the counter) for a while to let them marinate. They are best when they are room temp. or just a little bit cooler or warmer. SOO good. (By the way, beets are also excellent this way.)

Green beans are also a great stir-fry base. Saute a little onion, garlic, and ginger in sesame oil, then throw in cut up fresh green beans. Cook until the beans are just barely tender, add a little soy sauce (and hot pepper if you have it), and serve over rice. You can saute some tofu or tempeh or chicken or whatever and add it in as well if you want some more protein.

In the winter, one of my favorite green bean dishes is pork with green beans. Use bone-in spareribs (a chop will work in a pinch), cook them for a little while in some oil until they're brown. Add a couple of big cans of diced or crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil, rosemary, and oregano. Garlic too. Let it simmer for a while, until the pork is almost tender. Throw in the green beans for the last 20-30 minutes, so they get tender, but not mushy. Very, very tasty. When it's fully done, the pork should be falling off the bones. You'll get the best flavor if you use a pork cut that has some fat in it, such as a spare rib or pork steak. It adds a lot of flavor, so you can stretch it really far--even with full-fat pork, you can get one or two spareribs to make 8 servings or more, so the overall fat content is not too bad.
  • pchristie
    pchristie Posts: 38
    Options
    I like sauteing them with low sodium soy sauce or teriyaki sauce. I do this with broccoli too. It's pretty good.
  • HOPEful27
    HOPEful27 Posts: 56
    Options
    Bump
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    For dinner tonight I threw together baby potatoes, green beans, and turkey smoked sausage into the crock pot with a little water to help it cook. The turkey sausage is a little high in sodium, but way better in calories and fat than traditional smoked sausage. And it's so good!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Steamed and tossed with olive oil, sea salt, and red pepper.
    or
    Steamed and then drizzled with balsalmic vinegar and sesame seeds.
    or
    Steamed and then tossed with walnut oil, dill, and lavender buds.
    or
    Fresh (raw) dipped in vegan ranch dressing.

Green beans are one of my all time fave foods.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    sautee them in 1tsp olive oil and garlic - YUM
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My friends made green beans they called "Margo Beans".Margo was an anorexic and vegetarian relative. They'd mix in a heaping spoonful of peanut butter into the green beans to secretly get protein into her diet. You couldn't tell by taste what the special ingredient was and they tasted wonderful.
  • earlie
    earlie Posts: 22
    Options
    Green beans are one of my favorites. I steam and add Mrs Dash. I also sautee in olive oil with onions and sometimes add other vegetables from my garden like carrots, squash, okra, snow peas and sometimes corn (cut off the cob), etc . I use Mrs Dash at lot. They have all kinds to change the favor.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    mine is smple , i put just a lttle bit of water n a pan and brng to a boil(maybe four or so tablespoons. i hadd the green beans(fresh) and basically steam them for about 5-7 mns. after they are done(i like mine a little al dente) add a few sprays of i can believe its not butter spray and some sea salt.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I steam mine until they are al dente, then throw them in a bag with a little olive oil, garlic and some rubbing spices I use on the BBQ. I shake the bag up well and thrown them in a hot wok for a couple minutes.

Finish it with a little sesame oil to serve.