How do you make your green beans?

Options
2»

Replies

• DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    My kids got a "the Princess and the frog" Cook book from the library :smile: believe it or not we have made a number of things from it and all are very very good. We loved the green beans from it called "Naveens Green Beans" (I just made a few minor adjustments. I omitted the water chestnuts and oil.)

2lbs fresh green beans
    1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
    3 cloves garlic
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
    salt and pepper

1. (Wash and trim beans) place them in a saucepan with enough water to cover them. Bring the water to boil then reduce the heat and simmer until the beans just barely tender, about 8 min.
    2. Drain the beans and immediately rinse them in cold water. Set them aside.

3, Sauté the mushrooms, onions, and garlic until tender, about 5 m in. Add the seasonings, salt and pepper. stir in the cooked green beans and cook for 3-4min.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    My kids got a "the Princess and the frog" Cook book from the library :smile: believe it or not we have made a number of things from it and all are very very good. We loved the green beans from it called "Naveens Green Beans" (I just made a few minor adjustments. I omitted the water chestnuts and oil.)

2lbs fresh green beans
    3 cloves garlic
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    salt and pepper

1. (Wash and trim beans) place them in a saucepan with enough water to cover them. Bring the water to boil then reduce the heat and simmer until the beans just barely tender, about 8 min.

3, Sauté the mushrooms, onions, and garlic until tender, about 5 m in. Add the seasonings, salt and pepper. stir in the cooked green beans and cook for 3-4min.

We have this cook book. My daughter loves all of it and it's gotten her more interested in cooking. Anything Disney is a hit with her.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I steam mine until they are al dente, then throw them in a bag with a little olive oil, garlic and some rubbing spices I use on the BBQ. I shake the bag up well and thrown them in a hot wok for a couple minutes.

Finish it with a little sesame oil to serve.

That sounds really nice I'm going to have to steal this one. I just steam them, season and eat. Thanks.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I cook mine a lot of the ways mentioned above, but also green beans and stewed tomatoes is a really good side dish.. I will even eat it as a meal with spicy turkey sausage or ground turkey (instead of pasta).

Steam or boil fresh or frozen green beans just until tender... drain well
    Saute some onion and garlic in EVOO and then add in the green beans
    Add a can of crushed or stewed tomatoes (size of can depends on how much green beans you have, you want it saucy!)
    Add some italian seasoning to taste along with some fresh pepper and just a pinch of salt if needed (the tomatoes sometimes have enough on their own).

Cook until beans are soft, but not mush. Serve with a little fresh parm cheese. I also like to add some fresh basil over the top.

:drinker:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I made yummy green beans in black bean sauce. Starting with onions & garlic sauted (use broth to keep light) I mixed a bit of soy sauce, maple syrup & Sambal (very hot chili sauce) to taste. Toss that in pan and mix real well, add rinced black beans, till warm and full of flavor, take half of mixture out and quick blend in bullet. (dont get to smooth). Then at the last minute throw in green beens, best if you blanch them first (two min in boiling water, then rinsed under cold) till all is hot. Makes nutritions, full of iron & protein, low fat, satifying meal or side dish.
    HINT: Best to use lots of Garlic, and careful with Sambal.
    Yummy
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    you can also make your own green bean cassarole, and use the low sodium cream of mushroom soup, add in extra mushrooms and sautee some onions and put on top to replace the crunchy onion topping
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have two ways that are my standard. Most of the time I pepper them with fresh ground pepper, sauté them in olive oil and fresh garlic then I add a few tablespoons of water and put a lid on them for about 10 minutes because I like them on the tender side. Just before I serve them I squeeze a lemon over them and add a little salt. They are also good with a little dill sprinkled on them.

The next way is not as healthy but tasty ( my family came from Oklahoma, Texas, and Missouri and they cooked green beans with bacon and ham) I add a little olive oil to a skillet, add some chopped onion and sauté about five minutes, add in the green beans, salt and pepper the beans, chop two slices of bacon into about 1/2 inch slices (you can use Oscar Mayer turkey bacon but applewood smoked bacon is the tastiest) I cook the beans with the bacon and stir around the skillet until the bacon is done. I add about 1/4 cup of water and cover and cook on low until the beans are tender. After they are done I put in about one TB of butter and serve. My grandsons love them cooked this way.
  • bbgirl
    bbgirl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use smoked turkey wings to give them a nice smokey flavor, but my husband did something that I had never done before. Along with the smoked turkey wings he cut up onions and fresh tomatoes. Well, I loved it and now I must have onions and tomatoes in my green beens all of the time.

Another way I eat them - now bear with me - I mix them with cabbage - I know it sounds weird, but a friend of mines served it at a dinner party and we all loved it. So when I make cabbage I mixed a can of "Old Glory" Green Beans with it and taste marvelous.

The seasoning from the "Old Glory" green beans really adds a nice flavor to the cabbage.

I hope this helps.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

2lbs fresh green beans
    3 cloves garlic
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    salt and pepper

We have this cook book. My daughter loves all of it and it's gotten her more interested in cooking. Anything Disney is a hit with her.

Off topic sort of, but you have to try (if you haven't yet) the Red beans and rice recipe from that book (I used turkey sausage with no casing, turkey bacon, and brown rice instead though) it is simply amazing! Huge hit with the whole family! I never expected to like the cook book so much :laugh:
  • juanita8807
    Options

2lbs fresh green beans
    3 cloves garlic
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    salt and pepper

THIS SOUNDS DELICIOUS
    I usuallly just get fresh string beans, boil the beans for about 3 minutes to soften them up and sautee them in butter(of your choice) and dice 1/4 cup of onion and sautee them also. You don't need salt or pepper, just simply onion, butter and the green beans :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

2lbs fresh green beans
    3 cloves garlic
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    salt and pepper

Off topic sort of, but you have to try (if you haven't yet) the Red beans and rice recipe from that book (I used turkey sausage with no casing, turkey bacon, and brown rice instead though) it is simply amazing! Huge hit with the whole family! I never expected to like the cook book so much :laugh:

I haven't yet, but that's because I'm a vegetarian and I have to find good substitutes for the meat products if we share food as a family, lol. We also have the Ratatouille cookbook, and most of the Family Fun cookbooks. I love kids cookbooks they make everything sound so appealing.
  • AmyeLaineS
    Options
    Fresh or frozen green beans... about 2-3 cups maybe...

First, in your pan, combine and heat
    1Tbs of Olive oil,
    2 cloves of minced garlic,
    3Tbs of Braggs Liguid Aminos (or soy sauce works too).

Then add the green beans and saute. 7-10 min and your are done. They have become my family's favorite!
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    I like to make them with minced fresh garlic, and a 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Delicious, and low on sodium, which is where I really struggle.
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    I just boil mine in a little water then when they are cooked I add a large spoon of low fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs (philidelphia or boursins) and stir it melts into a sort of sauce and its yummy
  • ArmyWife815
    Options
    Well today I am making green beans and I am cooking them in chicken broth in the crock pot. I boiled a chicken for some chicken salad and put my green beans in the broth from that. I added a couple of cans of boiled potatoes as well. My husband and I will eat these for the next couple of days.:smile:
  • ladytap
    ladytap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I always saute them in a little bit of olive oil with chopped onions and add a splash of lemon juice...soooo good. My husband can't get enough...I'm actually making them tonight! :)

There are some great recipe ideas on this thread!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    steamed tossed with Lime Juice and Cilantro (chopped)

Yum!
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite recipe for green beans. I blanche fresh green beans - then I wrap about 10 beans in 1/2 strip of turkey bacon. I end up with about 10-12 little stacks. I spray the bottomof the baking pan with Pam butter flavor - a several little pats of land o lakes light butter and drizzel with honey. I place the little stacks in the pan and spray the pam on top and another little dizzel of honey. I bake for about 20 min. then broil the top until it is brown - for about 10 more mins. I call them haystacks and they are my family's favorite. The full fat version is regular bacon, sugar and real butter. Just is case you wanted to know - my lighter version is much better and healthier!!!