Babysitting your child

Options
1235»

Replies

• BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Watching your own kids is called parenting.

Watching your friend's kids is called baby sitting.

Watching kids at the playground from a panel van is called pedophilia.

This.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Who cares what someone else calls watching their child? If they want to call it babysitting who are you to get up in their face and tell them they're wrong? Would it be better if they said "No, I can't go grab coffee with you today. I have to parent my child." It's not directly effecting you or your life so . . . .:yawn:

Have you tried decaf?

*high five!*
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options

You sir, are Not Right. I like you. :bigsmile:
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    What about when Sesame Street watches them for you?

If NPH is on then I'm watching too!
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    Who cares what someone else calls watching their child? If they want to call it babysitting who are you to get up in their face and tell them they're wrong? Would it be better if they said "No, I can't go grab coffee with you today. I have to parent my child." It's not directly effecting you or your life so . . . .:yawn:

Have you tried decaf?

Water would be best. MFP recommends at least 8 cups a day!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

You sir, are Not Right. I like you. :bigsmile:

I might not be right, but I'm not wrong either.:flowerforyou:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    It's "babysitting".

I work from home and my salary pays all of the bills - if you need me to also be responsible for the kids - I need to know in advance so I can clear my schedule.

It's worked fine through our 3 kids "babysitting" years (and is happily now over).

Although, periodically, she would read something on Facebook and starts complaining about me calling it babysitting. :bigsmile:
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

^^^THIS! #QFT </thread>
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    No, I've never called it that.

Sometimes when I am making plans or finding out my schedule I will say that I have to make sure my husband can watch the kids or be with the kids or take care of the kids. I never say babysitting for him or me. For me I usually just say that I'm busy with the kids, or I'm with the kids, or I'm watching the kids or that I don't have anyone to watch the kids or that I have no childcare or no babysitter, so I have the kids that day. Or whatever. It's all about context.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    My brother-in-law was complaining about watching his own kids and I was like "they mare your children, your wife is going somewhere and watches them all the time, if you don't want them she could just take them away". Many men pull that crap and say its so hard, yes, yes it is so if it is hard for you, why wouldn't it be hard for your wife? Duh!

The only reason I would ask my husband in advance when I made plans was to make sure he wasn't working or didn't have plans of his own. After all I can't memorize my schedule, his schedule and my daughter's schedule, so had to make sure I wasn't bumping into work, dr appts, etc.

Funniest thing, I am work, DH is home with 8yo daughter because no school. She calls me "mommy can I have a play date" "what where is your daddy" "in his room, well he is home with you, ask him" He of course had no idea she had called me.

^^^ we have linked out google calendars to our phones so that we can keep the strange work schedule my husband keeps (24 hour shifts with 48 hours off), the busy schedules of 4 kids and the busy schedule of a working racing mom. I do check in with him before I make plans our of courtesy. but not to make sure he wants to be the parent in charge.