Weigh lifting for women

Options
13»

Replies

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that this has been your experience. I was wondering about women with PCOS.
    I was reading that doing deadlifts releases testosterone. I suppose other exercises do that, as well. I want to gain strength and protect my bones, but I sure don't need any more body hair or whatever from testosterone.

You will not get more body hair from doing deadlifts. Where were you reading this?

Agreed. My personal experience, I have PCOS and create more testosterone than I should anyway, I lift heavy and follow SL 5X5. My results have been nothing but phenomenal. I have lost fat, become stronger and lost inches like crazy even though the scale hasn't really budged. I haven't gained 25 lbs of muscle either or any extra body hair. Don't be scared of the heavy weights or lifting like a man, I guarantee you'll love the results!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I don't follow anything specific. I do my own lifting "routine". I work one muscle group per day and alternate legs and abs. I also do 30 min cardio.

For example:

M: 30 min. cardio Chest/abs
    T: 30 min. cardio back/legs
    W: 30 min cardio shoulders/abs
    Th: 30 min. cardio tri's/legs
    Fr: 30 min cardio bi's/abs

I switch up the equipment every week and change up the exercises. For legs and abs I do something different to target different areas.

I dont do this Specific split but this is how i enjoy doing my workouts. I go to bodybuilding.com ( or my weightlifting books/mags) and i find different exercises and i make a program for myself every month or so. I usually spend 1 - 1.5 hrs in the gym 6 days a week. I find this kind of thing works for me over stronglifts because i enjoy the constant variety of learning new things and not getting bored.. I do isolation and compound moves. Its worked for me so far.

Most of all find something you will enjoy doing so you stick with it.
  • Jit7
    Jit7 Posts: 75
    Options
    You guys are awesome - thank you for all the informative replies. I have a 10km run coming up in a week but after that I will definitely add weight lifting into my weekly routine
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I know what they are talking about, but excess body hair can certainly be a side affect of too much testosterone in women.

That will not be caused by deadlifts..or squats.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie and I've been doing AllPro thanks to Sara's advice. It's been working out well for me so far. You should at least check it out.
  • sarah3436
    sarah3436 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just started Chalean! Great weight lifting, overall cardio, toning, and ab workouts. I love it!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome - thank you for all the informative replies. I have a 10km run coming up in a week but after that I will definitely add weight lifting into my weekly routine

Good luck on your run! I ran my first 10km race over the weekend. I run on days I don't weight lift.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    A workout video for the ladies from Mike Rashid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn5yIqFeGlU
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I was reading that doing deadlifts releases testosterone. I suppose other exercises do that, as well. I want to gain strength and protect my bones, but I sure don't need any more body hair or whatever from testosterone.

You will not get more body hair from doing deadlifts. Where were you reading this?

Agreed. My personal experience, I have PCOS and create more testosterone than I should anyway, I lift heavy and follow SL 5X5. My results have been nothing but phenomenal. I have lost fat, become stronger and lost inches like crazy even though the scale hasn't really budged. I haven't gained 25 lbs of muscle either or any extra body hair. Don't be scared of the heavy weights or lifting like a man, I guarantee you'll love the results!

I just wanna say, congratulations on your weight loss! That's phenomenal!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I do the same program as guys do.

Same here.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - I will take a look at the other programs mentioned.

I had asked a PT for a program but it was light weight and high repitition. I got so bored of it though. He didn't really want me to add much weight on which is the total opposite to what I've been reading. I did feel I was getting a little stronger but not greatly different tbh. I have also done body pump in the past which I enjoyed but I have pathetic arms so struggled with quite a lot of it and couldn't keep up with the rest of the class.

Thanks for the suggestions

Was it a PT employed by your gym? They always seem to push that low weight / high rep crap.

Body pump is a fun, and hard, class, but, again, it's a lot of reps so it's hard to make progress.

People keep mentioning SL and NROLFW because they work. I would also suggest you check out stumptuous.com.
  • Jit7
    Jit7 Posts: 75
    Options
    Yes it was a PT at the gym - i'm sure if I stuck with it I would have seen some results but its sooooo boring.

I am going to start next week after I finish my 10km run this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for all the positive recommendations