calorie counting is impossible in the long run

Options
OK......Give me your opinion.

calorie counting leads to obsession.It is not ideal for permanent fatloss.Instead one should focus on nourishing ones body and use
progressive strength training to get stronger .Fatloss will be a byproduct of getting healthy...

Replies

• Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

calorie counting leads to obsession.It is not ideal for permanent fatloss.Instead one should focus on nourishing ones body and use
    progressive strength training to get stronger .Fatloss will be a byproduct of getting healthy...

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    calorie counting leads to obsession.

Only if you have an obsessive attitude. There are plenty of people over in the maintenance forums that have been doing it for years. I agree it's probably better to use it as a tool to learn about healthy portions and what you should eat so that you eventually don't have to, but if you want to stick with it then there's nothing wrong with that, I don't think.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options

This. What exactly is wrong with calorie counting for the rest of your life? I will need to do it in order to maintain as I cant be trusted to guess. Its not a big deal, really, how long does it take? no time at all!!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

I love that^^^^

I will count calories for the rest of my life. I have proven time and again I can not be trusted otherwise.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Both. I eat nourishing foods, and I train, and I have a good idea what I should be eating. But I have been counting for 8 months now. I find it quick and easy. I don't need to be so strict on measuring. I estimate a lot more. I will be a few calories out here and there, but I like to see I am still on track. I still have some goals left though. Will I be counting next year, probably. The one after, probably not
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

False dichotomy - one can focus on both calorie management and fitness. You can't out train a poor diet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this!
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Much like exercise; if you don't write it down, how do you know what you did? If you don't know what you did; how do you improve upon what you did? This has to be a lifestyle change; most people can't make that change without actually seeing on paper or computer log in this case, exactly what is what. Even in the long term, it is a good idea to track calories in and calories out.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have two thoughts. Well three actually--

1. There needs to be a focus on staying mentally as well as physically healthy. I can't say for others but for me calorie counting doesn't lead to obsession if I don't let it. I log as accurately as I can, while keeping in mind that it's not going to be completely 100% accurate, so there's no need to bring a food scale out to eat with me, etc. I also find that I need occasional days off from logging. I don't take them often-- generally 3 or 4 per year tops-- but they help me to reset mentally and prevent burn-out.

2. You don't have to focus on just fitness and nourishment or just calorie counting. I do all of the above.

3. Nourishing foods can still be eaten in excess. I know that I have a tendency to eat just slightly too much. Calorie counting is like wearing glasses for me. It helps to correct my perception of how much I'm eating, just like wearing glasses corrects my vision. And yes, I plan to do it forever.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    3. Nourishing foods can still be eaten in excess. I know that I have a tendency to eat just slightly too much. Calorie counting is like wearing glasses for me. It helps to correct my perception of how much I'm eating, just like wearing glasses corrects my vision. And yes, I plan to do it forever.
    [/quote]

Thank you for this thought

I did think I was eating healthily but I have over done the actual quantities of the foods I can eat as a slaicylate sensitive person. I was doing my own recipes avoiding vanilla and vanillin in chocolate products from bars to drinks, dried fruit, tomato purée, spices, pineapples, apples and much more.

Cheers - To a healthy life which ever way your body permits.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

If your goal and desire is to be healthy and lose weight.....obsession may not be a bad thing....
    But like anything else in life.....going to extremes is usually not a good thing.

But eating smart and foods that are good for you, will result in fat loss.....

If you sit down to eat, and your meals consist of:
    a) fried chicken, mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, cole slaw and a biscuit
    b) Grilled chicken breast, sweet potato and broccoli

And you choose meal (a) vs (b).....well what do you think the results will be....

Now of course if you are Michael Phelps,and you are swimming all day, then meal (a) will be the one you want....but for the rest of us......
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for the last 3 years and i still count calories. Not perfectly, not even everyday....but for me it is my to go tool when I feel like my pants are getting a bit snug.
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    Even if you ]think you're nourishing your body you could still be giving your body too many calories so what isn't used as energy will get stored.

It's only "impossible in the long run" for those people who are prone to addictive behaviours. Everyone who knows anything about anything should know that once you've reached your goal weight you can begin to increase your calories to maintenance calories and then try to wean yourself off calorie counting once you know how to control your portions and eat mindfully, not mindlessly.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

I respectfully disagree as logging only becomes an obsession if one allows it to become that way. An obsession is where one is concerned about the accuracy of everything involved in the activity for which they are engaged. As long as there is an understanding that logging and calorie counting is not an exact science but gives a general idea, it is a healthy way to become a weight manager. That much said, it is important also to make good, nourishing food choices and the logging helps one see what it is they are eating and make it more nutritious if necessary.

Well, also there is a difference between calorie counting and logging. Calorie counting only accounts for the number of calories consumed whereas logging looks at the entire picture and accounts for choices as well as caloric intake. In some respects, calorie counting doesn't work whereas logging does.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    In response to the statement: "calorie counting leads to obsession"

This ^^^ Right on
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's impossible for the long run. It's a good habit to get into. It's something you CAN actually maintain long-term.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on counting calories for the rest of my life and yes, I think for some people, it can lead to unhealthy obsessive behavior.

I haven't had much issue with maintaining & I'm still learning how to manage my T2D along with my first length of time at a 'healthy' adult weight since my early '30's.

I expect that if there should come a point in time, that my clothes start to get tight again, I would check my facts, starting with my caloric intake, exercise etc. so I wouldn't say it's something I will never do again.

This being said, I'm currently watching calories, but whether something is high in calories or not, does not dictate whether or not I'll eat it. I have different parameters to live by now as well as hard cold numbers.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    In response to the statement: "calorie counting leads to obsession"

This ^^^ Right on

I don't agree. I think obsessive is where something starts to become detrimental to one's health or well being.

I live by numbers. A1C, glucometer, blood values, scale weight, body fat %, etc. (T2D)

With respect to my glucometer, it can be a slippery slope & I actively try not to get hung up on it. I find that whether or not I see a 'logical' number following a predictable pattern that had always been predictable can send me into a tailspin.

When this happens though, I stop testing for a couple of days & tighten up as best I can. I check my bg's up to 7 times daily and it can be frustrating sometimes. It's a balance.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

I like that
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I don't just log to count calories. I also log to keep track of my digestive health. I have some issues sometimes which I'm going to be seeing a gastroentamologist for but logging the food helps bring about a pattern.

I don't find it obsessive at all...I find it enjoyable and fun...it's like a game.