Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    call me obsessive. I've been doing it for years

:flowerforyou:
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    OK......Give me your opinion.

calorie counting leads to obsession.It is not ideal for permanent fatloss.Instead one should focus on nourishing ones body and use
    progressive strength training to get stronger .Fatloss will be a byproduct of getting healthy...

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"

/thread
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Rather than count every calorie, try rounding once you get an idea of what a portion looks like and how many cals in it. I do that all day when I'm not near my pc, and at the end of the day I log it into mfp. I'm usually really close.

After doing Weight Watcher's in the late 90's I found that I couldn't get through the maintenance phase because I no longer logged my calories. I'm one of the average people who hit goal and begin creeping back into old poor habits. So I know that once I hit my goal again, I'll need to log - likely for the rest of my life.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    it takes 10 min/ day
    i have been doing it for 2 years and plan to continue for the rest of my life, so no, i don't agree
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    go back into your cave little troll .......

I thought trolls live under bridges?

Cave Troll:
    30ngnwo.jpg
  • Robertsollady
    Robertsollady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"

I love that^^^^

I will count calories for the rest of my life. I have proven time and again I can not be trusted otherwise.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'd rather take a chance on becoming "obsessed" than stay an unhealthy fatty who will probably die young of diseases.

:huh:
  • Robertsollady
    Robertsollady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Much like exercise; if you don't write it down, how do you know what you did? If you don't know what you did; how do you improve upon what you did? This has to be a lifestyle change; most people can't make that change without actually seeing on paper or computer log in this case, exactly what is what. Even in the long term, it is a good idea to track calories in and calories out.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do it forever, but it is important to learn how many calories some foods have. Many times we don't know hidden calories in foods and we allow ourselves to overeat. Counting calories helps us learn, and we can make better choices in the future without obsessing about it. So even if you stop counting calories, you can make better food choices because you have more knowledge and pick up better eating habits.
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    To me, calorie counting/logging along with keeping track of my exercise is much like a business keeping track of its accounting. Bills, income, payroll, etc,...if you don't keep track in some way , how can you know for sure and keep the balance? Logging is just a way of accounting. Your body (business) will tell you either way...but I like that I found such a SIMPLE way to manage my body!! :D
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It CAN lead to obsession in those predisposed to that behavior. But, we are the masters of our own realm, and no one has to let that happen.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the average people who hit goal and begin creeping back into old poor habits. So I know that once I hit my goal again, I'll need to log - likely for the rest of my life.

^^^^ I hit goal logging here a few months ago, continued logging in maintenance for a month or so, then stopped logging and gained back 3 pounds. So I'm back on here logging again. I don't consider it obsessive, I consider it smart :drinker:
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I plan on calorie counting for the rest of my life in order to maintain after I have reached my goal. If I don't, it will creep back up on me like it always does. I am going to HAVE to do it, or I will have the same problem I always have.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    False choice.

I have logged here and other sites for 10 years. Not obsessed at all -- dedicated to making sure I at least TRY to eat in a way that promotes good health most of the time.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

calorie counting leads to obsession.It is not ideal for permanent fatloss.Instead one should focus on nourishing ones body and use
    progressive strength training to get stronger .Fatloss will be a byproduct of getting healthy...
    Wearing eyeglasses or contact lenses is not ideal for permanent vision correction and leads to obsession.

Not losing one's car keys and wallet and phone leads to obsession.

Paying one's bills on time every month and showing up to work on time is just obsessive behavior.

Obeekaybee.
  • fitbulky
    Options

LET ME REPLACE OBSESSION WITH DISORDERED EATING PATTERN
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have two thoughts. Well three actually--

1. There needs to be a focus on staying mentally as well as physically healthy. I can't say for others but for me calorie counting doesn't lead to obsession if I don't let it. I log as accurately as I can, while keeping in mind that it's not going to be completely 100% accurate, so there's no need to bring a food scale out to eat with me, etc. I also find that I need occasional days off from logging. I don't take them often-- generally 3 or 4 per year tops-- but they help me to reset mentally and prevent burn-out.

2. You don't have to focus on just fitness and nourishment or just calorie counting. I do all of the above.

3. Nourishing foods can still be eaten in excess. I know that I have a tendency to eat just slightly too much. Calorie counting is like wearing glasses for me. It helps to correct my perception of how much I'm eating, just like wearing glasses corrects my vision. And yes, I plan to do it forever.

^^^This, for the most part^^^ I don't plan to take time off, though if it happens, it happens.

I have my phone with me a good chunk of the time, and log on to my computer occasionally throughout the day. I like the scanning ability on my phone as well, and the memory function of it. It really isn't that difficult, and helps me to plan out my meals for the day, or even couple of days at a time. Will I be perfect every day, no. But I use it as a nutritional tool, not being obsessive about it.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I think you're correct in thinking that focusing on strength training and building the body you want is really the key....and fat loss will come along with that if you're staying consistent and focused. I agree with that bit, but I don't think calorie counting is necessarily obsessive. It certainly can be for some, but I don't find it so. And yes, I can definitely overeat healthy food, so logging is important for me. If it works out better for you to not log, then don't log.