Gastric Bypass - Gaining weight back and trying to lose

Options
This is for a friend I'm helping. She has the standard medical answer, but is trying to gather information from the fitness community because she is not losing weight. She had a gastric bypass about 10 years ago, lost probably 100 pounds, and has had two children since and put back on about 30-40 pounds since before pregnancy, at that time her weight was already a little elevated since the surgery years ago. She is 5ft 4in, about 175 pounds. She'd be happy losing 40 lbs. I believe after surgery she was about 125lbs. I'm trying to help her with a plan, but I've never advised anyone who has had a gastric bypass.

Again, she has consulted with Dr's and their plan (1200 calorie no exercise, restrictive foods) has had some affect but not much. We are just looking for a solution from the fitness community. I had her do her blood work, and their is absolutely nothing there that would negatively affect her weight loss such as a thyroid issue. In fact, she is in perfect health according to her blood work.

Has anyone here had a gastric bypass and put weight back on then lost it? Or know of someone or a website that deals with this specific issue? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Michael

Replies

• fitbulky
    Options
    Gastric bypass does not address the root cause of weight gain.It does not teach lifestyle change or address emotional eating.Tell her to figure out the root cause and start a solid strength training program and eat calorie restricted smart food.Starving will not help her anyway.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    No exercise? Not even walking? Walking is the only exercise I do, and it helped me to lose and keep off over 50 pounds for six years.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Gastric bypass does not address the root cause of weight gain.It does not teach lifestyle change or address emotional eating.Tell her to figure out the root cause and start a solid strength training program and eat calorie restricted smart food.Starving will not help her anyway.

I couldn't agree more, but this doesn't help much and I'd appreciate moving past opinions about why people decide to do that and just respond with practical helpful answers, or not at all. Her surgery was a mistake she admits that, but it was 10 years ago and she put the weight on because of her last pregnancy, not because of emotional eating. Where did that come from? The reasons for the initial weight gain pre-surgery are WAY in the past. She successfully kept it off prior to the last pregnancy for years. Eating healthy, swimming (strength training being implemented) has been going on for quite some time. Weight loss is happening, but slow, and I just want to hear from those who have experienced the same thing, and what worked for them.
  • mzenzer
    Options
    No exercise? Not even walking? Walking is the only exercise I do, and it helped me to lose and keep off over 50 pounds for six years.

To clarify, the Dr's plan does not SPECIFY exercise. They support it, but do not help with the consideration of calories if she DOES exercise. She swims, and can swim laps (pun intended) around most young people in the pool. I know what the problem is, it's calorie deficiency and getting balanced meals with a much smaller stomach. BUT, I'm hoping people who have gained weight after a gastric bypass can offer some insight as to what they did to lose it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is happening, but slow?

Slow progress is better than no progress!
  • mzenzer
    Options
    Weight loss is happening, but slow?

Slow progress is better than no progress!

Agreed, but nothing wrong with trying to tweak or find better solutions if available, right?
  • jdarr77
    jdarr77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had Gastric Bypass 10 years ago also. I had a child seven years ago and put weight back on. I initially lost 160 pounds but gained back 57 pounds over time. Unfortunately over time, the surgery stops working and I had to actually start losing weight the hard way (but right way) with diet and exercise. I am down 40 pounds this time around. I started around January of 2013. I workout with a trainer three times a week and do strenth training and cardio on my own 2-3 times a week. I average around 1500-1800 calories a day. I defintely stay at a 1,000 calorie deficit a day in order to lose 2 pounds a week. I avarage around a one pound loss though. I'm not sure if it's due to the stress I put my body through by having the surgery or not. I have just resorted to the fact that I will just have to work really hard to lose the weight but at least it's coming off!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    If all else is equal (meaning she has no medical or metabolic issues) I would think that calculating her TDEE <15-20% should do the trick. I used a fitbit to estimate my activity level and make sure I was on track.

It sounds as though someone is kind of impatient and I expect that if this is not viewed as a lifestyle change, it will be more of the same if and when goal weight has been achieved.

If she's currently losing at an acceptable rate (about 1#/wk) then it's a matter of staying the course.
  • Krista916
    Options
    I think your friend needs to understand that she's going to have to do some work this time. She's not ever going to have the same kind of rapid weight loss that she did when she initally had the surgery. Slow and steady is the way she will have to do it now. Even with a modified diet, exercise is a must.

Is she being completely honest about what she is eating and her portion sizes? Sometimes a little tough love goes a long way. She has to change her brain first and her body will follow.

P.S. I work in a doctors office and I'd say 75% of gastric bypass patient gain quite a bit of their weight back because they eat properly in the beginning then fall back into their old ways.
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Lots of people lose weight lots of ways and put it back on. As your friend is under medical supervision has no identified reasons for being unable to lose weight through cutting calories and exercise, she should be able to use the same techniques as everyone else.

Those would include calculating how many calories she really needs based on her lifestyle, choosing healthy, whole foods that she will actually enjoy and finding an activity that is comfortable for her. Many of us have had to tweak our program to make it work. It's simple. And yet complicated. But it's what must be done.
  • mzenzer
    Options
    I had Gastric Bypass 10 years ago also. I had a child seven years ago and put weight back on. I initially lost 160 pounds but gained back 57 pounds over time. Unfortunately over time, the surgery stops working and I had to actually start losing weight the hard way (but right way) with diet and exercise. I am down 40 pounds this time around. I started around January of 2013. I workout with a trainer three times a week and do strenth training and cardio on my own 2-3 times a week. I average around 1500-1800 calories a day. I defintely stay at a 1,000 calorie deficit a day in order to lose 2 pounds a week. I avarage around a one pound loss though. I'm not sure if it's due to the stress I put my body through by having the surgery or not. I have just resorted to the fact that I will just have to work really hard to lose the weight but at least it's coming off!

Thank you! This helps tons and validates some of my thoughts I had.
  • mzenzer
    Options
    I think your friend needs to understand that she's going to have to do some work this time. She's not ever going to have the same kind of rapid weight loss that she did when she initally had the surgery. Slow and steady is the way she will have to do it now. Even with a modified diet, exercise is a must.

Is she being completely honest about what she is eating and her portion sizes? Sometimes a little tough love goes a long way. She has to change her brain first and her body will follow.

P.S. I work in a doctors office and I'd say 75% of gastric bypass patient gain quite a bit of their weight back because they eat properly in the beginning then fall back into their old ways.

Thanks. She did fall back to her old ways, but before her last pregnancy. During her pregnancy and since has been all about health. This is not someone new to my life, I am 100% certain she is being completely honest. She did lose 10 pounds, but has been on a 90 day plateau and has even gained a couple pounds back. I think the initial 10 was water weight, the shock of a new way of eating, and everything a body goes through in the months after pregnancy, breast feeding, hormones flying every which way, etc.

It's not that she is impatient with the slow n steady approach, it's that she is frustrated because no weight is coming off at all. She is noticing small changes, feeling better, clothes a little lose, etc, and we have been over that 100 times if once that it's a lifestyle change not a "diet", and to not pay attention to a number on a scale. BUT, she is definitely not at her ideal weight. Mentally she has made that change, but she is also ready to look better too, and no loss in 90 days is an issue no matter what cheery spin is put on it. It's going to be hard work, she knows that, I am just trying to help my friend and do it in the best way possible and best for her health.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If she had the surgery 10 years ago and managed to put that much weight back on then she's stretched her stomach back out so you aren't dealing with the same limitations as a fresh surgery. Diet and exercise are going to be the key just the same as anyone else trying to lose weight.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What blood work was done? Wonder if there is some insulin insensitivity after the pregnancies.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I couldn't agree more, but this doesn't help much and I'd appreciate moving past opinions about why people decide to do that and just respond with practical helpful answers, or not at all. Her surgery was a mistake she admits that, but it was 10 years ago and she put the weight on because of her last pregnancy, not because of emotional eating. Where did that come from? The reasons for the initial weight gain pre-surgery are WAY in the past. She successfully kept it off prior to the last pregnancy for years. Eating healthy, swimming (strength training being implemented) has been going on for quite some time. Weight loss is happening, but slow, and I just want to hear from those who have experienced the same thing, and what worked for them.

a person can eat too much and stretch out their stomach pouch. She needs to go back to eating what she first ate - protein first, and then veg and then fruit.. tell her to cut out all the food that is junk food, since she needs to fill her (used to be) small pouch with nutritional food first. She is probably drinking soda pop which they advise the patient not to drink (empty calories and causes gas which makes her feel full so that she cant eat the healthier foods she must eat a few weeks after surgery.

She's probably eating too much, and not chewing thoroughly, and eating too fast, consequently stretching her stomach out.
  • NonnyMary
    Options

All that pain they went thru, and all the cutting out of body parts/modifying body parts, and the risks patients take, all for this? that they now have to lose weight the old fashioned way. i cant wrap my mind around that. You are right - surgery does not cut out the demons in your mind that cause you to overeat.
  • mzenzer
    Options
    If she had the surgery 10 years ago and managed to put that much weight back on then she's stretched her stomach back out so you aren't dealing with the same limitations as a fresh surgery. Diet and exercise are going to be the key just the same as anyone else trying to lose weight.

Stomach stretching does seem to be a normal part of gastric bypass as the years go by, but she gained the weight during her second pregnancy. I knew her before, during and of course after the pregnancy. She ate like any pregnant woman would, but also was healthy about it as much as possible.
  • mzenzer
    Options

a person can eat too much and stretch out their stomach pouch. She needs to go back to eating what she first ate - protein first, and then veg and then fruit.. tell her to cut out all the food that is junk food, since she needs to fill her (used to be) small pouch with nutritional food first. She is probably drinking soda pop which they advise the patient not to drink (empty calories and causes gas which makes her feel full so that she cant eat the healthier foods she must eat a few weeks after surgery.

She's probably eating too much, and not chewing thoroughly, and eating too fast, consequently stretching her stomach out.

Clearly you did not read anything I posted. She doesn't do any of that, no soda or fast food or junk food.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It could be a recording issue:
    Weigh solid foods and measure liquids. If she doesn't do this she may actually be eating 10-40% more than she thinks she is eating.
  • NonnyMary
    Options

Clearly you did not read anything I posted. She doesn't do any of that, no soda or fast food or junk food.

I read it, and i was writing while thinking out loud, giving some possible examples, since i dont know all she ate. i was saying what that food can do to a person and some common culprits on how someone can strech out their pouch.