Gastric Bypass - Gaining weight back and trying to lose

Options

Replies

• Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    OP, I haven't had the surgery, but have been haunting a lot of web sites about it (I'm considering the sleeve surgery, but have ruled out gastric bypass for myself).

I wanted to suggest that she look into something called "five day pouch test"—it's a way for people with GB to get back on track. Not sure how it works, but if she does an Internet search on it, she'll find the diet and instructions. Basically, it takes her back to square one with GB pouch and lets her know if it's still functional and gets her back on track.

Hope this helps ...
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Someone can stretch out their stomach eating 20 apples every single day.

Doesn't always have to come from 'junk food'.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    It could be a recording issue:
    Weigh solid foods and measure liquids. If she doesn't do this she may actually be eating 10-40% more than she thinks she is eating.

My money is on this. I'll bet that if she religiously weighs and measures everything that goes in her mouth for two weeks, she's see movement.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I had Gastric Bypass in 2009 - only 4 years ago. I already know for me, the only remaining benefit of the surgery is that I cannot eat the large portions I used to and I cannot tolerate sugar. The malabsorption benefit is long gone - so, 1000 calories in is 1000 calories in (whereas before I only absorbed a fraction of that). I gained during my pregnancy last year and to take off that weight I have been eating at a 500 calorie deficit for a 1 pound per week loss. I have been exercising and am currently eating at 1500 calories a day. It is hard, and I recognize the shame that comes from regaining after a weight loss surgery.

There's actually a group you can check out called Gastric Bypass - Regain and also Groups specifically for folks who've had WLS. Those MFP members may have different insight.

Best of luck to her. Sounds like she is back on track and hopefully will see the results she is looking for.
  • TopazMoon1964
    Options
    Hi!

I weighed 430 pounds in 2000 and had a RNY. I lost 100 pounds then hit a brick wall. I then had my surgery revised to a Duodenal Switch and lost an additional 195 pounds. Unfortunately I looked like an Ethiopian refugee at 135 pounds ( I'm 5'3") and had severe anemia and malnutrition issues. My surgeon told me to gain weight, but I took his advice too literally and I regained 110 pounds.

I spoke to my surgeon and he recommended trying Atkins to lose weight. Tried low carb (under 20 grams) for two weeks and lost weight, but I hated the way I felt and I missed eating carbs. So now I'm using TDEE-20% plus exercise to lose weight. Plus I do circuit training with a personal trainer 3x a week, kettle-bell workouts 3x a week, and at least 60 minutes of cardio each day (walking or stationary bike). The scale is moving slowly, but my clothes are starting to fall off.

I started MFP at 248 pounds and 51% body fat. My goal is to reach 150 pounds and 20% body fat. I plan to reach goal by my 50th birthday in November 2014. Although I would love to lose weight as fast as I did when I first had surgery (1 pound a day), I am content to lose 1-2 pounds a week. It may be a slower process, but a healthier and safer journey.

Just tell your friend to be patient and go back to the rules she first learned after surgery - Eat protein first...Avoid drinking your calories....Walk at least two miles a day.

Hope my story helps...

Cynthia - No Excuses...Just Do It:laugh:
  • PurplePolkaDot84
    PurplePolkaDot84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ok I also had the bypass and after my 2 kids gained 100 lbs of my 135 lbs lost back. I went back to my doctor recently and found out a few mistakes I had been making in trying to lose weight. First no drinking 30 min before or after eating. It moves it through your stomach to fast. Another thing we cant control is we are more sensitive to calories after a few yrs than other people. Our boddies got use to such a low calorie amount right after that we gain faster on lower calories. I have read some people cant eat above 1100 calories or they dont lose. I myself just started eating only 1000 cal a day but twice a week eat up to 1500. Thats some stuff he told me and so far its working. Oh most people are very carb sensitive after the surgery so it can make you plateau fast if you dont watch it.
  • meggs9605
    meggs9605 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2003. Lost about 145 lbs. Gained back about 30-35 over the past few years. I am back in the gym, working with a trainer and eating clean(er). I usually have 1 cheat meal a week. But even with all of this, my number on my scale isn't going down either. My trainer said to be patient "...you didn't gain it over night so it isn't going to fall off like before..." Even though I feel a lot better, I admit I am getting frustrated. My trainer assured me that I am capable of losing the weight so I am going to keep at it.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Someone can stretch out their stomach eating 20 apples every single day.

Doesn't always have to come from 'junk food'.

yes thats why they have to go back eating in a particular way, per what the nutritionist will tell them. Dont shoot me for this comment but they cannot eat as big a volume because thats why they have made their innard smaller, in order to ideally NOT to squeeze in too much food, of any kind, though for them some foods are going to hurt them more than others, one thing the soda pop is not recommended, and too much things that will cause "dumping syndrome" - their stomach rejects it and it comes back up.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I can answer that a little bit for you because I have a friend who has GB several years ago and gained some weight back. The thing is GBs need to keep to a low carb higher protein plan all their life or they gain weight. Regular exercise - cardio and strength training with the emphasis on strength. She is with the practice that did her surgery originally and since they put her back on the correct diet and exercise plan, the weight is coming off quite nicely. The low carb is started at no more than 50 grams of net carbs for the first month and at least 100 grams of protein and plenty of fat to make up the rest of 1200 calories. After that, she is adding back 5 grams of carbs a week and seeing how that affects her weight loss. She is to do this until it stops and then drop back 5 grams and that will be her number to lose weight on. Always eat protein first!
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I just messaged you. I was in exactly the same boat. My surgery was 10 years ago yesterday. I did fantastic for 6 years, then had some depression and loss and I gained back 45 pounds.....this year I was able to get my head on straight and not only lost 45, but I have also lost those last 10 pounds that had been haunting me forever. She can turn it around. She just needs the right support. Don't give up on her.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I just cannot agree with some of the statements made above -- I have successfully lost 30 pounds since March eating whatever I want. I eat a balanced diet with carbs and protien and dessert and anything else I want. There is NO reason that someone, after having Gastric Bypass a decade ago, would need to eat a very low calorie diet or limit carbohydrates (unless they choose to). It is true that some of the initial habits we were following (no fluids 30 minutes before or after, protien first, etc) are very helpful, they are not necessarily going to help at this stage of the game for your friend. A healthy mix of exercise and nutrition are all she needs. AND, she needs to recognize that the rapid weight loss granted from WLS if a limited time gift. It will be slow and steady for her now :smile:

After WLS our bodies are forced into starvation mode -- we absorb only a fraction of the calories we ingest. This is closely monitored by a physician (or should have been) -- ten years later, your friend no longer has the benefit of the malabsorption, and I do not believe she will benefit from eating under 1000 calories a day (unless she is being followed by a Dr and nutritionist and this is their recommendation.)

For me, I have accepted, without reservation, that the majority of the benefits from my WLS have expired. As I knew they would. The hope is that we learn the healthy eating habits in the time frame that we are given to enjoy these benefits. If your friend truly wants the support of people who have been where she is, I would suggest her own account and hopping into the groups specialized for her situation :smile: (And, I am sure a lot of us would gladly support her along her journey :flowerforyou: )

Edited to fix typos
  • losttogain
    losttogain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Which gastric bypass did she have?
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

After WLS our bodies are forced into starvation mode -- we absorb only a fraction of the calories we ingest. This is closely monitored by a physician (or should have been) -- ten years later, your friend no longer has the benefit of the malabsorption, and I do not believe she will benefit from eating under 1000 calories a day (unless she is being followed by a Dr and nutritionist and this is their recommendation.)

For me, I have accepted, without reservation, that the majority of the benefits from my WLS have expired. As I knew they would. The hope is that we learn the healthy eating habits in the time frame that we are given to enjoy these benefits. If your friend truly wants the support of people who have been where she is, I would suggest her own account and hopping into the groups specialized for her situation :smile: (And, I am sure a lot of us would gladly support her along her journey :flowerforyou: )

Edited to fix typos

Hi - i wondered about that. If someone does not stretch thier pouch back, wouldn't they have the same benefits from the small pounch forever if they kept it small?

did i hear you right to say that malabsorption happens only after surgery, and not all the persons life? sounds like WLS is a temporary fix if that is true. :( all that pain for not a permanent fix??????????????
  • amchanging
    amchanging Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass almost 5 years ago and lost 105 pounds (never quite got to my goal weight of 150 but made it to 167 - down from 272). The first year was fairly easy - then it got HARD! I found after this I could eat almost anything with very little consequence. This sent me into a bit of a depression because of my struggles with food and I went up to 212. I got a hold of myself and got back down to the high 170s-180s. It has taken a tremendous amount of discipline and CONSTANT dieting. By dieting that is exactly what I mean.... not just "eating right" - I've had to intentionally and consistently cut my calorie consumption to keep my weight down. I have noticed that if I eat over 1200 calories a day that I will slowly begin to gain weight. I am 47 and have a sedentary job which I'm sure is part of my problem. I try to work out 3-4x weekly (elliptical and weights). If I eat around 800 calories I can lose 1-2 pounds a week at most. I also take raspberry ketones and green coffee bean extract to try and keep my ridiculously slow metabolism moving. It's my personal opinion that people who've had gastric bypass seem to have a slower metabolism over time. Your friend will have to combat this all the time. Even now I follow the rule of not drinking 30 minutes before my meal and 45 minutes after. My surgeon's office told me this would be the key to me keeping my weight off long-term and I would agree. I eat lots of protein that is "dry" - not loaded down with sauces to make it slide through the stoma. It is a misconception that the pouch stretches out very much... it's actually the stoma (opening to the intestines) that gets stretched causes the food to slide out sooner. Protein that is "dry" takes longer to slide out so to speak. I hope this helps!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    How slow is her weight loss? At that weight, she should only be aiming for about 1 lb/week anyway.
  • amchanging
    amchanging Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    9359445.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • HopeinDC
    Options
    Lots of people here are talking a lot of ish about the surgery without any facts. She should try the 5 day pouch diet it helps bring back the restrictiveness.
  • been8years
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I had gastric bypass 8 years ago and I am gaining weight. I have gained 25 pounds in 3 months. I havent changed anything. I dont eat any sweets or junk foods. Its scary for me. I am eating only veg. And fruits. And i cant lose any weight. Hoping to see some answers here. I weight 155 but i normally weight 130. Help
  • been8years
    Options
    How do I do this?