How do you avoid evening snacking?

Options
This is totally my pitfall, and I've tried brushing my teeth to avoid snacking, drinking water/drinking tea, reading, but to no avail. I always find myself being hit with the munchies before bed. What do you guys do to help ignore night-time food cravings?

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just plan an evening snack into my diet.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Yep, this.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I find that if I don't have the food in the house, I'm not willing to go out (to the store, a restaurant, whatever) to get it.

That being said, when i saw a dietician when I first began this weight loss journey, she encouraged me to have a light snack -- yogurt, fruit, some nuts, etc. -- in the evening. So I do.....I just try to keep healthier snacks on hand.

Kaye
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    exercise later in the evening, I am usually not too hungry after a workout or depending on your workout you can use your later snack as your refuel instead and put it to good use without cutting it out
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Have veggies chopped up to munch on or fruit. A filling snack is low fat jelly with fruit added.

I always have a decent sized healthy evening meal packed with veggies so don't really get hungry on an evening but I love munching on raw cauliflower and broccoli if I do.

Hope you find something you like that is low cal

Tina x
  • jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This used to plague me too so I planned for a bowl of cereal at night. Eventually my habit changed but i still leave room for the cereal.
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Another one for this.

I allot myself 120-200 calories for a bowl of cereal every night.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner late so there's really not much time for snacking before bed.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll definitely keep chopped veggies on hand. The problem is, I wind up craving fats (usually the healthy kind, but still). I may try doing celery and a tbsp of natural peanut butter or carrots and a tablespoon of hummus rather than PB by the spoonful lol. I appreciate the suggestions! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    low fat jelly with fruit added.

What is this?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evening, and then have my post workout snack so I don't feel like i'm depriving myself
  • Sarah0866
    Options
    Love this! I manage this on Thursdays (because I teach a cardio class until 9 pm) and those days don't ever pose a night-time snacking problem. Don't know why I didn't think of this :)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i plan for a night time snack as well. a couple hours after dinner. an hour or so before bed. or whatever. it works for me.
  • Sarah0866
    Options
    so after your 8 pm dinner you don't eat for the remaining hours before bed, correct?
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is to make sure you have calories left over for an evening snack, especially if you eat dinner fairly early!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    exercise later in the evening, I am usually not too hungry after a workout or depending on your workout you can use your later snack as your refuel instead and put it to good use without cutting it out

I'm never hungry after either, maybe that's why I like working out at night lol
  • Sarah0866
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll incorporate your suggestions and see how I fare tonight. Much appreciated :)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't. I prefer skipping breakfast and having snacks in the evening. My husband calls me a raccoon because I go rummaging at night looking through the pantry LOL. It doesn't matter when you eat, just make sure you're not blowing your daily cal allowance. I would rather go through mid-morning kind of hungry knowing I'm going to be able to eat all the foodz later vs using all my calories and eating my finger nails during Breaking Bad or Dexter. How you time your calories is personal preferance.