Bob Harper's Skinny Rules

Options
Just picked his new book, skinny rules up and am quite interested so far. Seems to make a lot of sense. Some of the rules are no brainers such as don't drink your calories and get a lot of fiber in your diet- he recommends 30-50 g/day.
MFP always says I go over my fiber haha. One rule , no carbs afte lunch seems super hard but I think I'll try it and see. Have any of you read it? So far I recommend it. He doesn't really cover exercise in this one, seems mostly food and nutrition based. Also has a few recipes as well. He advocates egg whites too but says to do
3 whites and 1 yolk which seems doable.. I don't like plain egg whites :(
Check it out! Let me know if you have questions

Replies

• michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just focus on calories. Whatever and whenever you can get in to make your calorie goal is fine to eat (well, within reason).

A large whole egg only has 70 calories anyway and most of the nutrients are in the yolk.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks contain most of the vitamins and nutrients in the egg. Yes the yolk also contains most of the fat and cholesterol but a whole egg can easily be fit into any healthy meal plan.
    No carbs after lunch is a bunch of BS. The body is going to handle carbs the same way no matter what time of day you eat them.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Why can't you have carbs after lunch? That's just dumb.

And yolks are fine. Eat them and enjoy them.

Also, judging from this info so far, an easy way to lose an unnecessary pound or two would be to chuck that book in the trash.
  • lolapedia88
    lolapedia88 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link but I think whomever wrote this is... Unintelligent

Most doctors advocate high fiber diets. Berries are bad for those with leaky gut so must be bad for all? Low sodium is healthy.. Don't go below 2000, but before that is fine.

Again, thanks for the link it seems all things she is debunking have a poor explanation
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    personal trainers are some of the dumbest people on the planet.

with only a handful of exceptions, they seem to exist solely to perpetuate broscience.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Until I see some sort of actual proof that the body processes carbs differently after 1pm, I'm going to wave the BS flag.
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Read the book and glean from it what works for you. Try the suggestions and keep moving forward. Anything you read or put in action for a healthier you is great!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lrb16jgutb1qbzbd9.gif
  • lolapedia88
    Options

Most doctors advocate high fiber diets. Berries are bad for those with leaky gut so must be bad for all? Low sodium is healthy.. Don't go below 2000, but before that is fine.

Again, thanks for the link it seems all things she is debunking have a poor explanation

yeah you must be really intelligent because you smartly choose to eat well under 1200 calories every day.

Hahah!! Wow if you want to bring up intelligence, ok. My IQ is over 160. Get off my tail about my calories , I'm working on it. No need to be rude.

haha I'm sure it is

Dude no need to be jealous.
    It is 164. I have my masters. I'm very smart, and gonna remove you as a friend. Don't need your bad vibes
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Just another book from a guy that basically tells people what to do and tries to sell it cause he is on tv.. sure some of the stuff is helpful but its not something you can't find elsewhere for free.. just more people trying to cash in on people trying to lose weight.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I eat about 85% of my carbs at dinner time around 7:00 pm. 41 lbs and going strong...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

She didn't say to not eat fiber. The reasons a lot of fitness personalities promote high fiber is to fill yourself up so you aren't hungry. Assuming you eat a decent amount of whole grains, vegetables and fruits, you should be getting enough for your body to function without having to cram yourself full of it.

"DO NOT force yourself to consume copious amounts of fiber in the name of satiation of regularity."

Kind of like the point with water. Don't drink so much you float away to feel full or because some random person, once upon a time, said we all needed 64 ounces a day.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    op: i like your goggles and i have a huge lady crush on Harper.
    I havent read the book yet but I do like his style.
    do what works for you and leave the rest - theres no harm in trying something new -you never know what might work best for any one person.
  • lolapedia88
    Options

yeah you must be really intelligent because you smartly choose to eat well under 1200 calories every day.

Hahah!! Wow if you want to bring up intelligence, ok. My IQ is over 160. Get off my tail about my calories , I'm working on it. No need to be rude.

haha I'm sure it is

It is 164. I have my masters. I'm very smart, and gonna remove you as a friend. Don't need your bad vibes

I already removed you. I don't need people with horrible eating habits on my friend's list

Probably because I'm smarter than you. You've been reported.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

haha I'm sure it is

I already removed you. I don't need people with horrible eating habits on my friend's list

Probably because I'm smarter than you. You've been reported.

For what? Promoting good eating habits and steering people away from misinformation?

Children, children, please. Stop your bickering!
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Just another book from a guy that basically tells people what to do and tries to sell it cause he is on tv.. sure some of the stuff is helpful but its not something you can't find elsewhere for free.. just more people trying to cash in on people trying to lose weight.

Exactly!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Hmm. Neither one of them has stellar credentials to be giving diet advice.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm done arguing, he's a jerk.

Why because he didn't agree with you. Yikes, you are going to have a rough life in the real world... :noway:
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I actually like Bob (but I'm working to look more like Dolvett). He's trying to sell to people that don't want to count calories and trying to get control of their food issues.

Calorie and macro nutrient timing have really little to do with body composition. I carb time pre/post workout to help with recovery but that's the only reason. There could be some benefits for appetite control. But one of the best tools for appetite control is simple intermittent fasting.