Junk food addiction...

Options
124»

Replies

• MandyLion76
    MandyLion76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There are a few people in here that I had really found to be inspiring and super knowledgeable in many post on other threads. People I would have asked for a bit of information or even a little guidance from in terms of what worked for them and their experience with different situations...I cannot begin to express my disappointment in how these few individuals handled this thread. I do take addiction very seriously as I'm sure most reasonable people do. I also take kindness and compassion very seriously. More importantly I take opportunities to show, teach, enlighten or what have you, something valuable to another person who has opened themselves up to a criticism, with respect. Unfortunately, rather than share some feelings or offer a point of view that would have been helpful to the opportunity you attempted to humiliate the op and anyone else who has at times felt powerless when it comes to not just overeating, but literally killing ourselves with food. Killing ourselves with food, that's what some of us are facing. Is it truly an addiction, I don't know. Does it feel like one, yes at times. Do I think about when I'm going to be able to have pizza again, yes...chocolate cake, you bet your sweet behind I think about it. Can the average bear eat pizza and not want to hide the rest from her husband so she can eat the rest of it while he's at work the next day, probably...can I, nope. Not yet anyway. Thinking about food can be thought consuming and sometimes so damn painful. Have I always had the power to stop, yes. Have I always had the restraint, absolutely not. Maybe there is no such thing as junk food addiction, heck there probably isn't, but there is something...and it hurts. It hurts mentally and physically. It hurts our loved ones, our spouse's, our children, our lives. And still it is so very hard to stop. Maybe it is just easier sometimes to say I'm addicted to junk food...it hurts a lot less than saying I don't love myself enough to stop killing myself with food or whatever the case maybe. No it's not accurate, but does that make it okay to make fun of or be hurtful to someone that has unintentionally offended you? I don't agree with everything the op said, but she absolutely did not deserve what she got for opening up and trying to talk about her struggles.
  • MandyLion76
    MandyLion76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    In before alarmism.

Listen, if you deprive yourself of the things you like you're more than likely going to fail. Just incorporate a certain amount of the food you like every day, maybe towards the end of the day. This may help you stay within your goals and not feel deprived.

This. And calling it an addiction is a way to absolve yourself of responsibility for your actions and offensive to people with real addictions.

Actually, I am recovering from an addiction to marijuana. Almost as soon as I got sober, I began overeating and binging occasionally. I pretty much traded one addiction for another. Besides, you can't really speak for other people who do have drug addictions or alcoholism, myself being a good example. I honestly felt offended that you would think that a food addiction is not real. Food addiction is very real. Chemicals in processed food can cause our brain to react in similar ways that drugs do. It's the fake sugars and preservatives and MSG. Kind of like caffeine. Caffeine is a drug and if your body gets to used to having it every day, and then you stop drinking coffee, you will get headaches. If you cut out all bread, noodles, crackers, and other carbs, which I have done before, you actually get headaches. These are withdrawal symptoms and I have read on someone's myfitnesspal post, can't remember who, that they had headaches and stuff when they cut out their processed food. My aunt from my dad's side said she got headaches and stuff when she cuts out her carbs. An addiction can also be defined as something you can't stop. If I could stop overeating, I would have done it a long time ago. I do feel very responsible for my actions, and in no way do I blame my being addicted to food on the overeating. If I had to eat drink one drink every day, I would be considered alcoholic. If I have to have at least one peanut butter and jelly sandwich every day, I would probably be addicted to them. And that's pretty much what I do. As much as I love salad, vegetables, and fruit, my body for some reason craves the processed peanut butter, jelly and bread. It's kind of like a relapse if I try to control myself all day and then giving in and having two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, when I could have just allowed myself a half with a piece of fruit at lunch time.

If I can quit heroin cold turkey, surely you can stop eating PB&J every night if it doesn't fit your goals?

Seriously, I'm no better than any other addict, just because I chose a really bad drug to get hooked on, but I take responsibility for my actions. It leaves me with little sympathy for people who are "addicted" to food.

Interesting...You refer to "falling off the wagon" in terms of your weight loss journey.
    You also state that you are "addicted to tattoos".
    These comments are ways in which you describe yourself on your profile...
    Seems a tad opportunistic of you, don't you think?
    Pointing fingers and all...she used the term inaccurately to convey a feeling, which is exactly what you have done on your profile.
    I also fail to see where she is denying any responsibility...she clearly states that she is struggling with self control and not eating fruit as opposed to pb and j's. Seems to me she is pretty clear in saying she is doing the eating, trading one thing for another. I'd say she's doing a great job at acknowledging the issues she's facing.
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Anyone trying to tell me sugar is not addictive . Well I think they are in need of major surgery. They need a surgeon to help extract their head from the poopy hole.