Scared of gyms!!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• MsWallwoman
    Options
    Its a common fear, but the reality of it is that most people at the gym are so focused on their own workouts that they probably don't even notice who's around. When I first started, I went SUPER early when it wasn't busy, to get familiar with the gym and the machines and with time got more comfortable with it. Now I don't care. ;) I put on my headphones and I am the only one in the gym. Lol. Mostly, I am considerate of others, but I don't pay attention to what people look like, what they are doing, who they are... Maybe you could try a ladies only gym or try going with a friend.

As for a good DVD...
    I like Jari Love's DVD's. They are a great workout, fun and up beat, have modifications, focus on good form so you don't get hurt and she has a awesome variety so you can find one that interests you, and or have lots of options to switch it up. They are a great price and she has some that are an hour, some that are 30minutes, some that you can do either or. You can find her on the net if you google "Jari Love"

Good luck on your journey. Take one step at a time and remember, self talk is important so be nice to yourself and think positive. :flowerforyou:
  • laddibugg
    laddibugg Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I admire the heavy guys more than the skinny ones.

And seriously, no-one is looking at you. Meat heads are looking at themselves; the serious ones are absorbed in their own world. Nothing at all to worry about.

By skinny, I am assuming you mean 'fit'. But skinny skinny people could be intimated too! They might be afraid to look weak next to the dude who can bench 200 lbs.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I think the rec center gyms are a good choice because they usually have good equipment and there are all ages the. I went early in the morning and alot of seniors were there at 5 when the doors opened plus other people. The social atmosphere really helps I think because not only are you working out but you look forward to seeing friends that you make there.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Me too. I think my trainer is trying to kill me via strength training. No, just kidding. She's very sweet, and it's good for me. :)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I have the same fears. So now i've told myself, when I lose 50 pounds, I will reward myself with a gym membership. I just dont feel comfortable going, yet. I really wish I did, because I really want to go.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    As the subject box reads - I am waaaaay too nervous to even consider entering a gym, as I have an absolutely ridiculous paranoia that I'm being watched!!! I'm hoping that the more I lose weight the more manageable this stupid fear will become!

In the meantime, I am enlisting a fitness DVD (not the best I know, but at least it's something!) to help with keeping active. Can anyone recommend a half decent one?!?!!

Narcissism. You think everyone is interested in you. Guess what, unless you're naked or insanely out of this world smoking hot, no one at the gym is looking at you.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have the same fears. So now i've told myself, when I lose 50 pounds, I will reward myself with a gym membership. I just dont feel comfortable going, yet. I really wish I did, because I really want to go.

Why would you let fear control your life? What other areas of your life is fear controling your life?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    You can either let yourself be controlled by your fears or... not.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I had never ever been in a gym in my life till Jan of 2013. I joined Planet Fitness. I was nervous the first time I went in and used the equpment. I had been on a exercise bike in physical therapy but had never done a treamill or elliptical machine or weight machines. I was a member till June 2013 then I went to a differentgym that had more classes and a pool to do water work out classes. I was getting bored at PF with just machines is why I left there but for $10 a month it was a great start for me. The new gym cost more a month but offers a lot more too. I love working out a the gym!

People aren't watching others work out as they are concentrating on their own workouts I feel. I do have workout dvds I use at home and also so a mini strength training workout at home early in the morning before going to work and have a bike I ride too for bike rides. There are alot of videos on youtube of workouts you can do at home too that won't cost you anything to use too!
    Good luck!
    As the subject box reads - I am waaaaay too nervous to even consider entering a gym, as I have an absolutely ridiculous paranoia that I'm being watched!!! I'm hoping that the more I lose weight the more manageable this stupid fear will become!

In the meantime, I am enlisting a fitness DVD (not the best I know, but at least it's something!) to help with keeping active. Can anyone recommend a half decent one?!?!!

• earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    No one is watching you honey, they are all there for the same reason!!! It took me a while to overcome my fear so give yourself time!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Welcome, Erin!

I used to be terrified of gyms, until I started going to one. Believe me, nobody is watching because they are too busy exercising. Besides, I've made lots of gym buddies there who are kind and supportive.

There is nothing wrong with fitness CDs. Lots of people use them.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Narcissism. You think everyone is interested in you. Guess what, unless you're naked or insanely out of this world smoking hot, no one at the gym is looking at you.

:laugh:
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Your fear is real and I think a LOT of people feel that way (I know I did) but 7 weeks ago I started going and lifting weights and it has changed my life. Seriously. I go at the same time so I see a lot of the same people there.

Either hire a trainer if you can afford it, to put you on a routine and show you how to use the equipment, or go to body building .com and look for Jamie Eason's livefit program. It's a 12 week program that shows you exactly what to do, and videos how to do it. Once you have the confidence that you know what you are doing, and you FEEL how good it feels to conquer your fear of the gym, you will feel fabulous!

If you really want to shed a few lbs first, walk or hike - great cardio! Do you have a Wii or Xbox? I have the zumba for xbox and it's FUN and a great workout!
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Let them watch you being awesome. Regardless of how well you might do compared to some other people at the gym you're doing so much better than all those people that don't work out as well. Just keep in mind that you are awesome every time you work out. You are.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I think the rec center gyms are a good choice because they usually have good equipment and there are all ages the. I went early in the morning and alot of seniors were there at 5 when the doors opened plus other people.

I am jealous and would love to lift with a bunch of inspiring seniors around me. However, I think my progress would be impeded because I would probably want to hug all of them.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I understand your nervousness and that you're uncomfortable with the idea of working out in front of people. I was really fat and just worked out at home for the first couple months. I walked and trained with kettlebells. After a couple of months, I'd lost about 25 lbs, I felt pretty good health-wise and was itching to get back to lifting weights. I had to join a gym to do that.

I had that same stupid fear that I was "too fat" for the gym, even though I'd grown up active and spent lots and lots of time in gyms before I was ever fat. So I knew people weren't standing around pointing and laughing at fat chicks, watching other people incessantly, or anything like that. But I still had that feeling that I didn't belong there.

I just put it out of my mind and marched to the gym and joined up one day. I went in and started lifting the very next day, because I knew if I sat around waiting for my brain to be ok with it, it would never happen. I'm so glad I just got over myself and went...I go 5 or 6 times a week now, and am a regular fixture there in the mornings. Nobody was ever rude to me, nobody stared...I rarely even speak to anyone more than a couple words here and there, because we're all busy and there to get our training done.

I really think that if you or anyone else reading wants to go to the gym, but is having this sort of anxiety about it, the best thing is to just go and immediately jump in to whatever activities you're hoping to do, whether that is lifting weights, taking the yoga class, cardio, whatever.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Power 90 is fantastic. It seriously changed my body. It even gave me some booty which is a huge feat on my apple shaped body!!
  • Annie984
    Options
    I joined a gym for women only and its awesome, I feel so comfortable and everyone is focus doing their own thing, I used to feel like you because ive gained so much weight after having my daughter two years ago and thought everyone was going to look at and judge me but its not the case at all. If you have a gym that's for women only in your area I recommend it , im not saying that Gym for men and women are bad but me personally feel much better at a women's gym. best of luck
  • waltparrish
    Options
    We have allot of muscle heads at my gym but what I started to realize is that they do not seem to be judging anyone (at least at my particular gym). If anything it's actually opposite, if you engage any of these guys they are willing to discuss their training and help in some cases.
  • Annie984
    Options
    I admire the heavy guys more than the skinny ones.

And seriously, no-one is looking at you. Meat heads are looking at themselves; the serious ones are absorbed in their own world. Nothing at all to worry about.

LOL @Meat heads are looking at themselves....
This discussion has been closed.