NO ONE is looking at you

Options

Replies

• kdaxon
    kdaxon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Then what the hell am i wearing spandex shorts for?
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Errrr chicks check each other out all the time and say 'what the hell is she wearing?' OR 'I look better than she does'.
    No?! Is it just me? Ooops
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    Options
    Well, said, great post
  • RuleFive
    RuleFive Posts: 880 Member
    Options

tumblr_mscnnxByXN1sytl6zo1_400.jpg
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    So true. I was the out-of-shape one once, and going to the gym the first time was scary. Now I just go to the gym every day and -- whatever. I'm mostly focused on getting my own workout done. If I judge anyone at the gym it's that person who never wipes down the machine after they're done, you know? But folks who look like they're new to the gym or are at the beginning of a fitness habit? I think they're great. I cheer for them (inwardly)!
  • kdaxon
    kdaxon Posts: 340 Member
    Options

tumblr_mscnnxByXN1sytl6zo1_400.jpg

Id like to tickle those strings...
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Well said brother.

I know when I see someone at the gym who is out of shape, I think "Good for them. I was there too and I hope I'm seeing the very beginning of what is an awesome success story."

I have some people tell me, "Well I can't run as fast/far as you". I'm like, "Do you honestly think I started out this way? My first effort on a treadmill was freaking .25 miles! I didn't hit a mile until a month later!"

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. This is for you and you alone. GO GET IT!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I just spent $80 on yoga pants and no one is watching? :frown:
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    An excellent post, thank you!
    It's amazing how feeling insecure about how you look can actually hold you back from putting the work in to look better.

Even if they ARE watching, it doesn't matter a whit.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I agree for the most part. It is a quick glance, see who is there you know etc and start the workout. Occasionally, out of the corner of my eye I might see someone doing an exercise I haven't seen before, so I'll watch for a minute, and if it looks like something that might fit into my workout, I'll try to politely ask them about it. That is generally what I see in my gym.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Funny, I find the nicest and most helpful guys at the gym are the really buff ones, women there are all nice! It's changed a lot since the last time I had a gym membership.
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym four months ago. To this date I'm still the largest female there. I joined the gym at 280lbs (was 325lbs in January) and I'm now 250lbs. I was scared to go into the gym. Embarassed. For the first couple of months I kept my head down. If I couldn't see them they couldn't see me. Now I'm much more confident in myself. My head is up. I say hello. I get down to business and get er done. I've seen some people looking at me and I'd like to think that they aren't judging but more so shocked at what I can do. Earlier this week my trainer gave me a circut to do which included burpees. The lady on the gym floor said, "burpees are tough. The last time I did those I was sore for days afterwards." I just pushed through 10 of them right in front of her and she was still there standing watching me with her mouth open. Yep. I may be big but I've got this! haha I've come along way and I'm proud of myself. I just hope I'm insipring someone while enjoying this new lifestyle. The only time I'm looking at someone in the gym is to see if they are done with the free weights or the machine that they were just using.
  • smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: So Awesome:heart::heart: I always feel awkward no matter where I am. It's a bad feeling.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I love this. I totally agree, too. The LAST person to judge you out there is gonna be the fit people and/or active people. I used to see a fat girl jogging/walking in sporty clothes and think "UGH how embarrassing for her" even though I was a fat girl too (and still am). When I became the fat girl jogging/walking in sporty clothes, I understood. Now I'm the slightly less fat girl jogging/walking in sporty clothes and when I see someone my size or much larger, out there doing their thing...they get so much respect from me!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym four months ago. To this date I'm still the largest female there. I joined the gym at 280lbs (was 325lbs in January) and I'm now 250lbs. I was scared to go into the gym. Embarassed. For the first couple of months I kept my head down. If I couldn't see them they couldn't see me. Now I'm much more confident in myself. My head is up. I say hello. I get down to business and get er done. I've seen some people looking at me and I'd like to think that they aren't judging but more so shocked at what I can do. Earlier this week my trainer gave me a circut to do which included burpees. The lady on the gym floor said, "burpees are tough. The last time I did those I was sore for days afterwards." I just pushed through 10 of them right in front of her and she was still there standing watching me with her mouth open. Yep. I may be big but I've got this! haha I've come along way and I'm proud of myself. I just hope I'm insipring someone while enjoying this new lifestyle. The only time I'm looking at someone in the gym is to see if they are done with the free weights or the machine that they were just using.

That is awesome, I love your attitude of "I got this". I used to be in a workplace walking group and it made me proud and happy to not be winded when the other ladies were. They were all around size 10-14 and I was in a 22/24 back then. HA!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I see some of these comments and now I am a bit confused on proper etiquette. So am I ok to look at the womeninze wearing those tight spandex shorts? (Glance not stare) I always kind feel like a creeper when I do and get caught.

AND for the record, I do glance around at everyone at the gym, even those coming in and going. Unless you are doing some really stupid crap you have my respect.
  • mrstashafowler
    mrstashafowler Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Okay, this post was in my "recent forum topic" side bar thing, and it caught my attention, I've spent the last 10 minutes reading and LOLing. You all are hilarious, and made my day. That is all :)
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I do look and I am silently cheering them on. Even the teen boys who smell like, well, teen boys, and try to lift the equivalent of a building and run a 3 minute mile pace on the treadmill for 14 seconds. Even the really hot chick that I am jealous of that has amazing arms and is sweating like a pig. She works for it. Even the super fit guys (ok, i look twice). Even the older people. But I am especially cheering the overweight in their t-shirts that are 3 sizes too big that they keep pulling down lest the world sees that they are chubby. Them especially. It takes a lot to try when it's so much easier not to.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I needed this. I'm slowly getting over my fear of being in the free weight area, so it's nice to be reminded that no one really cares what I'm doing there. Hopefully when I go in again today, I'll be slightly less anxious.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I judge heavy people more if they are at Mcdonalds than I do at the gym. If they are at the gym I just wanna go up to them and say good for you. I was one of those people. Scared to use certain machines or even go in the weight room. The more I went the more confident I became and so what if you look at me and don't like what you see...that's why im here. Most gym members understand you are there to change your body and you are a work in progress.