Three weeks on my fitness pall not lost a single pound

Options

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Sorry OP but I do think that you are reading the calories wrong. To maintain the deficit that MFP has set you want the number for the calories remaining to be green not red (a minus means you are over eating not under eating) I randomly picked 7 days from the first of September and logged your calories remaining at the end of the day and got this:

01/09/2013 -184
    02/09/2013 -193
    03/09/2013 87
    04/09/2013 61
    05/09/2013 -956
    06/09/2013 -624
    07/09/2013 -934

This means that for the week you ate nearly 3,000 calories above your goal so it isn't really surprising that you are not losing weight if other weeks work out the same.

I understand that you are logging everything but you really need to change to weights, I mean what does 0.6 eggs actually mean? What size is the egg, how much does the shell weigh (not the same on every egg). I do think that you need to move to weighing accurately.

For example I found out the nutrition for a whole egg per 100g without shell and if I want 2 egg scrambled eggs I crack the eggs into a cup zeroed on the scales and log the amount by weight. This has got to be far more accurate than even saying 1 egg.

Try changing your eating a logging habits for a couple of weeks, reduce carbs and increase healthy fats, proteins and fibre to help you feel fuller for longer and make sure everything is logged by weight and see how it goes.

I am certain you can make this work.

Also send me a friend request if you need some encouragement

Pretty much everything you needed to know. But I would still see a GP if your weakness and hot flashes continue.
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options
    Hey there! I listened to a celebrity trainer yesterday and he said you should go more by the fit of your clothes than by pounds. If you have been working out your body is shifting, fat is turning into muscle and muscle weighs more than fat.
    My experience, I am losing but very slowly. I have however gone down 3 clothing sizes. Good luck to you!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1lb of fat is the same weight as 1lb of muscle.

Oh, please. That's like saying 1 lb of beef weighs the same amount as 1 lb of pennies. Comparing the size of 1 lb of fat to 1 lb of muscle is what she's talking about so basically she means: 1 box of muscle weighs more than 1 box of fat.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

Oh, please. That's like saying 1 lb of beef weighs the same amount as 1 lb of pennies.

It does. :happy:

Weight is merely a measurement of mass (multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity) ie how much 'stuff' there is.

You're confusing it with density - ie the mass to volume ratio of a substance. A cubic foot of feathers will weigh less than a cubic foot of pennies. But a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of pennies.

Hope this helps!
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options

Oh, please. That's like saying 1 lb of beef weighs the same amount as 1 lb of pennies.

It does. :happy:

Weight is merely measurement mass (multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity) ie how much 'stuff' there is.

You're confusing it with density - ie the mass to volume ratio.

I think you're misreading my comment. I know that 1 lb of beef weighs the same amount as 1 lb of pennies. With that logic everything in the world weighs the same. Feathers and stone weigh the same, and books and computers weigh the same. Do you get what I'm implying? Normally you compare weight through mass and volume. example: 1 cup of popcorn vs 1 cup of rice
  • Snugglzz
    Options
    Hey there! I listened to a celebrity trainer yesterday and he said you should go more by the fit of your clothes than by pounds. If you have been working out your body is shifting, fat is turning into muscle and muscle weighs more than fat.
    My experience, I am losing but very slowly. I have however gone down 3 clothing sizes. Good luck to you!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1lb of fat is the same weight as 1lb of muscle.
    When looked at in volume per pound fat takes more room being less dense than muscle. We knew what the post ment don't be dumb. Here smarty pants will 1lb. of He (Helium) float in 1cf of ambient air (at sea level with a barometric pressure of 29.92 inHg)
  • hussain79
    Options
    Ok been back to the start of your diary on 25th August and looks like I chose a particularly bad week calorie wise

That's what I am trying to say, even in that bad weak i was 2743 calories over target but 4300 under my required calories, remember i am 6 feet tall and weight 218 pounds.

The net total is 16000 calories deficit in 20 days.

I am worried that my body somehow does not respond to diet just like in ramadan when i don't loose weight ( i have been fasting in ramadan since i was 15 years old). I think my body has 'learned' to live on fewer amount of calories then it is "normal". A case in point my heart rate in ramadan.

One more point i would like to mention about myself is that my fat percentage for my weight is very low. I am 218 pounds, 6 feet tall but my body fat percentage is only 22%. I guess i have 'heavy' bones.

However, i have received some good advice here which i would summarize:

1. Take measurements, maybe i am loosing fat but gaining in muscle
    2. Maybe I am suffering from water retention.
    3. Need to use recipe mixer and weight scale to measure exact calories.
    4. Reduce Carbs in my diet.

I will give it 15 more days but if it doesn't than back to atkins as I have to go to a wedding in december and I want to fit into my wedding tuxedo.

Thankyou all.
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    Normally you compare weight through mass and volume

No. That would be unscientific. Well, incorrect. Density and weight are not the same. Density is a measure of mass per cubic metre (kg/m3) weight is a measure of mass (kg).

But I know what you mean. It's a common misconception. :smile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    22% body fat for a male is not "low." It's a little high, should be under 20%. Your height has nothing to do with body fat percentage, as it's a ratio of fat weight to total body weight. Doesn't matter how tall you are.
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options

No. That would be unscientific. Well, incorrect.

Actually, back in the older times, weight scales were made with two plates. People measured through comparison. You'd put a pound of something on one plate and stack gold or anything on the other plate until it reaches a pound and that's how they counted "1 lb of gold".
    It's like this: 1 lb of stone = 10 pieces of gold. However that does not mean that Stone = Gold in terms of weight. That only meant that those 10 pieces of gold weighed the same as 1 lb of stone.
  • Snugglzz
    Options

Actually, back in the older times, weight scales were made with two plates. People measured through comparison. You'd put a pound of something on one plate and stack gold or anything on the other plate until it reaches a pound and that's how they counted "1 lb of gold".
    It's like this: 1 lb of stone = 10 pieces of gold. However that does not mean that Stone = Gold in terms of weight. That only meant that those 10 pieces of gold weighed the same as 1 lb of stone.

Sweatheart your like 16 are you really going to pretend that that method of "weight & balance" is still practical. Like the previous post it's "well incorrect"
  • Snugglzz
    Options
    Have a good one Ya'll this turned into science class.
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    1 lb of stone = 10 pieces of gold. However that does not mean that Stone = Gold in terms of weight.

In that particular case, it did!

A kilo is just a unit of measurement, it's how we measure mass.

We measure length in feet and inches. That doesn't mean everything in the world is the same height. We measure time in seconds - that doesn't mean I can run the 100m at the same speed as Ussain Bolt. :bigsmile:

*moment of clarity*

I'M DERAILING THE THREAD. I hate when people do that. Hate it.

Sorry OP & have fun at the wedding. :flowerforyou: You'll get in that tux and look pretty darn good, too.
  • Bubba_po
    Bubba_po Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A given volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat.
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options

Sweatheart your like 16 are you really going to pretend that that method of "weight & balance" is still practical. Like the previous post it's "well incorrect"
    Have a good one Ya'll this turned into science class.

You're the one who turned this into science class. I just merely commented to say that fat does not weigh the same as muscle. Condescendingly telling me I'm 16 (although I'm clearly not), telling me I'm impractical, and leaving with the "I'm too good for this argument bye" statement is all too common here.
    Since you want to correct every little detail, "Sweatheart" is spelled "Sweetheart". "your" should have been spelled "you're" You should have used a question mark after "practical."
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Maybe use other indicators like body fat percentage or measure your waist/arms/legs instead as that will show you the fat loss :)
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    Options
    1 lb of stone = 10 pieces of gold. However that does not mean that Stone = Gold in terms of weight.

In that particular case, it did!

A kilo is just a unit of measurement, it's how we measure mass.

We measure length in feet and inches. That doesn't mean everything in the world is the same height. We measure time in seconds - that doesn't mean I can run the 100m at the same speed as Ussain Bolt. :bigsmile:

I mentioned in that comment, before you cropped it out, that in that particular case it did weigh the same. :bigsmile:
    I think we're not thinking about the same picture as I don''t actually know what I'm arguing about anymore. Plus this isn't the thread to discuss subjects like these. Good luck with your fitness goals.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options

I believe that the theory is that 1lb of fat takes up more room than 1lb of muscle.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    3 weeks hahahahahaha I have been here several years LOL I have only now woken up to eating my BMR. eat less lose more, no....Eat BMR lose more lol. Play with your calories and work out what is working for you, but 3 weeks your body will only just be getting use to your new life style. If you havnt been active and are suddenly doing something you will be developing muscle and that is evening out your loss. Give it time to settle in. I change my calories every 2 months, I do the no not working and I move on to upping them.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I used this today and was like :noway:
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I believe that the theory is that 1lb of fat takes up more room than 1lb of muscle.

Yeah but arguing that a pound can weigh less than a pound is far more entertaining.
  • Snugglzz
    Options
    lol I haven't left yet. You win on grammar. Im merely an aerospace engineer nUmbers, weight, and atmospheric variations are my deal. Oh that and late night vodka 7-up(diet) lol sorry to have been rude I did instigate it. Truce?

I suppose my rants are better put to use in the chit chat board