What happens when you quit Protein Powder?

Options
I'm looking to gain more weight. In a month I've put on 2 kgs purely using food but I find it hard to make my daily calorie goal so I want to start taking protein powder. My question is what happens after you stop using it? Is it the same as food, you just stop taking it? Also I've been told you get pudgey because you retain water when you quit? help.

ta
-Adam

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I think that nothing happens... I use protein powder occassionally as a replacement meal or snack and honestly cant tell the difference.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how would anything happen when you stop taking it? if you just stopped, it would mean you would then be getting less calories, and less protein which may hinder your bulking. if you replace it with other food this wouldnt happen?
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I would guess a decrease in protein intake might result in an increase of say carb intake? A little water weight would come with that? Nothing specific to do with the powder though.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is a quick absorb protein source, nothing more nothing less. Stop taking it and you just stop feeding your body the protein it provided, thats it.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    how would anything happen when you stop taking it? if you just stopped, it would mean you would then be getting less calories, and less protein which may hinder your bulking. if you replace it with other food this wouldnt happen?

I think OP is confused between Creatine and protein powder
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You get less calories/protein. That's it.
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options

No i mean Protein powder. Just trying to settle some rumors I heard. I'm pretty inept on the whole supplements subject so so pardon my ignorance.

Thanks for the responses :D
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You consume less protein, unless you replace it with an alternate source of protein. Do you plan on changing your protein/carb/fat ratio?
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I believe it goes something like the plot of the naked lunch
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is not a drug that you "quit" or something you "take". It is a dietary supplement to enhance the nutritional make-up of your daily nutrition plan. As a result, when you are no longer consuming it you now have less of that nutritional component and you have to make sure you are getting it elsewhere in your diet, along with the calories (fuel) it provides.

Since you state you are trying to gain weight, if you remove the protein powder, you need to replace those calories with something else otherwise you may incur a calorie deficit and start losing the weight you have managed to put on. Diet and nutrition is simple science. Calories are fuel, protein is one of the many building blocks that your body uses to be healthy. Remove it from your diet and you need to replace it with something else.

Parallel universe: What if you "quit taking" milk, or "quit taking" green veggies, or "quit taking" water?? Up periscope: What happens when you "quit taking" carbs or fats? . It is all relative. :happy:
  • KukuDan
    KukuDan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Your wallet bulks up
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't make any difference. Whoever said that probably had changes for a variety of other reasons.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Your wallet bulks up

^ THIS!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You get the shakes and stomache pains. Then, you get so desperate that you put strange hot dogs in your mouth for your protein fix.

This. Definitely this.
  • CometMeebru
    Options

creatine not even once
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    No more protein poots for you.

ETA: Ohhhhh, you mean CREATINE? Apparently, I was recently educated, you lose your strength gains (to a degree). Yes, it makes sense that you won't be retaining as much water in your muscles.

Double ETA: OP you have confused me. So you think quitting protein or creatine (one of the two) makes you retain water? I give up.
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    No more protein poots for you.

ETA: Ohhhhh, you mean CREATINE? Apparently, I was recently educated, you lose your strength gains (to a degree). Yes, it makes sense that you won't be retaining as much water in your muscles.

Double ETA: OP you have confused me. So you think quitting protein or creatine (one of the two) makes you retain water? I give up.

No i mean bloody protein powder......

I'm considering starting to take protein powder as a supplement but I'm curious about what happens to your body when you stop taking it so I can make an informed decision about using it. I'd heard about water retention (I don't know the science, it was just a thing i heard)

I was just asking for advice is all and I figured people here would have proper experience with the stuff and could give me an unbiased opinion.