What happens when you quit Protein Powder?

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No more protein poots for you.

ETA: Ohhhhh, you mean CREATINE? Apparently, I was recently educated, you lose your strength gains (to a degree). Yes, it makes sense that you won't be retaining as much water in your muscles.

Double ETA: OP you have confused me. So you think quitting protein or creatine (one of the two) makes you retain water? I give up.

No i mean bloody protein powder......

I'm considering starting to take protein powder as a supplement but I'm curious about what happens to your body when you stop taking it so I can make an informed decision about using it. I'd heard about water retention (I don't know the science, it was just a thing i heard)

I was just asking for advice is all and I figured people here would have proper experience with the stuff and could give me an unbiased opinion.

Why are you trying to gain weight with a protein powder? Most are under 200 cals and not really high enough in calories to make a huge difference. You could have a tablespoon of butter and peanut butter and do better than that.

Supplements are meant to supplement your diet. If you're getting enough protein as is there really isn't a point in adding a protein supplement....
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Some protein powders have Creatine in it, that's why people are talking about it, OP. Just wanting to clarify that.
    If the protein powder you chose has Creatine in it, I've read you'll gain some water weight, because the Creatine increases the water retained around your muscles. If you stop taking it, then the water retention will go away, which *might* cause a less defined look if you're bulking. Don't think it would leave you flabby so to speak though. Otherwise, nothing happens. You just stop taking it and that's the end of it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I used to have chicken breast as a protein supplement but decided that was a habit I just had to stop - so I went cold turkey.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I used to have chicken breast as a protein supplement but decided that was a habit I just had to stop - so I went cold turkey.

rimshot-o.gif
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    There is 0 reason that taking protein powder OUT of your diet would cause water retention. And even if it did, so the hell what? It's just a temporary issue.

If you're getting enough protein in your diet already, just add more calories. If you're not getting enough calories, some of the protein you're eating is getting used to meet your energy needs. You could eat more protein to make sure that you have some for your energy needs and some for building muscle, but if you're already optimized for muscle building with your protein intake, you're better off eating more calories as fat and carbs to provide your energy needs. Protein is the least efficient of the macronutrients for providing energy.

My husband had this problem too. He ate lots of protein, but he just wasn't eating enough *calories* to be in a surplus, so he couldn't gain, despite working out like a monster. Now he shoots for 200 grams of protein a day overall and drinks half a gallon of whole milk a day in addition to his regular diet to make sure he gets a surplus of calories. He's gained something like 20 pounds so far this year, and that's lifting heavy 3 days a week, and making sure that sleep is a top priority. Of course it hasn't all been muscle, that would be ridiculous, but he wasn't fat to begin with, and the strength gains have been totally worth it!
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Some protein powders have Creatine in it, that's why people are talking about it, OP. Just wanting to clarify that.
    If the protein powder you chose has Creatine in it, I've read you'll gain some water weight, because the Creatine increases the water retained around your muscles. If you stop taking it, then the water retention will go away, which *might* cause a less defined look if you're bulking. Don't think it would leave you flabby so to speak though. Otherwise, nothing happens. You just stop taking it and that's the end of it.
    Creatine doesn't increase water retention around the muscle instead it brings water into the muscle.
  • grantdumas7
    Options
    Protein powders are a convenient pure and simple.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Creatine doesn't increase water retention around the muscle instead it brings water into the muscle.

Yes, thank you for correcting me. This is what I meant to say, but I worded it very poorly :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    its like falling off the planet earth.
    spirally down?
    who the hell knows!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Your spending potential rises.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You get the shakes. Pun intended.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I think you've gotten your answer, but anyway, protein powder is just another way to get protein in your diet. It's for people who want protein in a convenient form. It doesn't have anything to do with water retention. Hope that helps.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Your symptoms might improve. I'll be quitting my whey protein after this container is done. I get free range chicken eggs from coworkers, so I'm saving some cash by quitting.
  • grantdumas7
    Options

Yes, thank you for correcting me. This is what I meant to say, but I worded it very poorly :)
    Your're welcome.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    You go through severe withdrawal, and eventually resort to selling all your belongings to get your next fix..
  • LoisHendrikse
    LoisHendrikse Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nothing happens, protein is made from milk. So it would have the same effect as to stop drinking milk:p
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Protein powder can be constipating. So you may find that you are more regular when you stop using it. Some people see it as a "cheat" to increase protien consumption in a bulk. I use it because organic, grass fed beef is too expensive.

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% whey protein. It is about .77 cents a serving, and is a very good quality protein.

Try to avoid soy and soy isolate protein. There is still more research that needs to be done, but early studies indicate that it may inhibit testosterone production and increase estrogen and progesterone levels, which is pretty much the opposite of what you want to happen to increase muscle mass.
  • koogabah
    koogabah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGxomiIZXBinNOhZ6glTnnn9Vnq-QMdutOx9XxQh-AcBeOE9au
  • juliasinger548
    Options
    Some people, I PROTIEN meat, eggs, tofu can replace, if you can please tell me. Any help would be very appriciated.

Thank you
    http://www.testocoreadvancedfacts.org/