Why am I gaining weight?

Options
1235»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Heybales, thanks for all the data! While some of it is completely Greek to me, I'll check out your spreadsheet. Am I supposed to know my body fat % before starting, or do I use those other numbers to calculate it? I've purchased bf calipers and taken all the various measurements and plugged them into various calculators on several different sites and come up with wildly different results (everything from 12 % -- which is crazy -- to 23%-- which seems a bit high). I've also tried finding my TDEE, and have come up with an average between 1600 and 1700. That seems high to me, too.

All the numbers seem to be more subjective than they should be at times.

The spreadsheet gets measurements for 2 bodyfat calculations. You can add in skinfold measurements too and that calculation will be averaged in also.
    But calipers in the hands of some inexperienced can be very inaccurate, well outside decent 5% needed, I'd leave them out unless someone got the measurements that does them all the time. Besides there are couple spots you can't reach on your own.

Remember on your opinion regarding calorie levels.

Do you have any experience with them at all to actually have an informed opinion?
    Did you ever log the amount you ate prior to starting a diet to have a clue what it used to be?
    Or is your only experience what you've been eating, and the 1200 most receive?

1600-1700 sounds rather low for your claimed level of exercise. Could be right if you've really burned away a lot of muscle mass though, but still unlikely.
    So be honest in the spreadsheet with the Activity Calculator, especially the daily activity section if you do NOT have a sedentary desk job for 40 hrs weekly. And really get the minutes of exercise weekly decently correct too. If you do 30 to 60 min of certain workout, that is not entered as 30 min, but 45 min.

Don't shoot your body in the metabolism thinking you are doing it better by playing on the safe side and under-estimating - isn't that what you've done already?

Do you really want to eat so low for ever, with it being so easy to gain weight?
    Repeating it every year or two, getting harder each time?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I wonder how correct your food logging is. Half a pita bread 30 calories or three slices of bacon 120 calories ? That seems too good to be true....:o). I don't think it all of the reason why you gained, but is worth checking out.

The pita is a low fat, low carb version, not your average pita. As for the bacon, i cook it in the oven, which cuts down on the fat a bit. I freely admit, though, that I have no idea on the actual calorie count having merely looked for an average number many moons ago and using that same count whenever I make bacon. It could be off...

Heybales, thanks for all the data! While some of it is completely Greek to me, I'll check out your spreadsheet. Am I supposed to know my body fat % before starting, or do I use those other numbers to calculate it? I've purchased bf calipers and taken all the various measurements and plugged them into various calculators on several different sites and come up with wildly different results (everything from 12 % -- which is crazy -- to 23%-- which seems a bit high). I've also tried finding my TDEE, and have come up with an average between 1600 and 1700. That seems high to me, too.

All the numbers seem to be more subjective than they should be at times.

That TDEE actually looks rather low, given the amount of exercise you do, even for your age. From the looks of your pictures, you appear to be on the tall side. You're what? About 5'7"? Using that number (and the math based on your profile's information of starting weight and how much you lost to put you at 150lb), and this calculator http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ - I come up with a TDEE of 2000-2300 across the board. I estimated about 18% body fat for the one that required it, since you're skinny, but also don't have much muscle definition (which would put your body fat percentage higher, because you don't have much lean body mass). All of them put your BMR (what you should never eat below) at more than 1500.

The calipers are only as accurate as the skill of the person using them, and are best done by someone else (ie - don't measure yourself with them). That said, what might help is to cross-reference the number you get from them with a different measure, such as a tape measure based calculator, or, even better, a DEXA or BodPod screen.

Also, if you're going with low carb, increase your fats. Low carb + low fat deprives you of fuel (protein is favored for building and repairing, not energy unless absolutely necessary), low fat also hinders nutrient absorption (many vitamins and minerals are fat soluble), and too much protein can screw with the kidneys and can cause what's known as "rabbit starvation" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation ). Not to mention all the crap that has to go into a food to make it both low carb and low fat. Your so-called "healthy" foods probably aren't so healthy when you actually look at what's in them.

Fat is not the enemy, especially if you're doing low-carb.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    That TDEE actually looks rather low, given the amount of exercise you do, even for your age. From the looks of your pictures, you appear to be on the tall side. You're what? About 5'7"? Using that number (and the math based on your profile's information of starting weight and how much you lost to put you at 150lb), and this calculator http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ - I come up with a TDEE of 2000-2300 across the board. I estimated about 18% body fat for the one that required it, since you're skinny, but also don't have much muscle definition (which would put your body fat percentage higher, because you don't have much lean body mass). All of them put your BMR (what you should never eat below) at more than 1500.

The calipers are only as accurate as the skill of the person using them, and are best done by someone else (ie - don't measure yourself with them). That said, what might help is to cross-reference the number you get from them with a different measure, such as a tape measure based calculator, or, even better, a DEXA or BodPod screen.

Also, if you're going with low carb, increase your fats. Low carb + low fat deprives you of fuel (protein is favored for building and repairing, not energy unless absolutely necessary), low fat also hinders nutrient absorption (many vitamins and minerals are fat soluble), and too much protein can screw with the kidneys and can cause what's known as "rabbit starvation" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation ). Not to mention all the crap that has to go into a food to make it both low carb and low fat. Your so-called "healthy" foods probably aren't so healthy when you actually look at what's in them.

I went to the website you mentioned and filled in my numbers (sw was 186; cw 137; lowest weight 117), and the BMR ranged from 1271 to 2065, and the TDEE ranged from 2065 to 2342 depending on the method used to calculate (I also tried a couple of different BF %, since I have no real idea what my BF really is! Ha ha!)

I don't want to sound whiny (did that earlier today, and I'm past that for now), but these types of findings are what confuse me so much. If 200 cals a day make a total of 1400/week, guessing the wrong number will play major havoc with any weight loss/maintenance/reset plans a person tries to implement.

How do you know which sets of numbers to use?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That is a rather involved calculator for the experienced, I'd skip it. Mifflin, Harris, Katch are BMR formula's, Cunningham and others are RMR, which is 150-250 higher than BMR. Hence the range you got.
    You just confused yourself is all.

Again, a BMR based on your actual LBM, or in other words, bodyfat %, will allow you to start with best estimate. That is the Katch BMR.

Vast majority are within 5% of that estimate outside medical issues or suppressing your metabolism, but the BMR can only be suppressed so much.

Your body will make sure your BMR has enough calories by slowing higher functions (hair, nail, skin growth, muscle repair, ect), even to the point studies have shown your whole TDEE can be suppressed by less daily normal movement (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis NEAT), or bad heat generation in winter (getting colder easier).
  • LeslieLLFH
    LeslieLLFH Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day. Otherwise your body goes into deprivation mode and stores fat...
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess, I'd say that you trained your body very well to run on very few kcalories. You may have to start over with a metabolic reset (an initial gain), lose it again slower and then level off into maintenance.

More helpful info here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

^This. If you logging honestly, it would seem impossible to gain weight from eating so few calories - but it isn't. Eating less than 1000 calories for a significant amount of time, limiting carbs, while also exercising by doing endless amounts of steady state cardio, you most likely have caused metabolic damage. Your body has gotten increasingly efficient at running on so few calories by slowing down its metabolism. The answer isn't to cut out more calories, because you are already at a dangerously low level. The above link from tryclyn should provide more help. I also recommend searching YouTube for Layne Norton and metabolic damage. You basically have to do a reset by reverse dieting. Increasing your calories by slowly upping carbs and slowing decreasing cardio and training. You will most likely gain more weight, and it isn't an overnight fix. Seek professional help if need be.

The goal is to eat as many calories as possible and manintain weight, not as few calories as possible. In the long run, such a large restriction, coupled with intense training, causes more harm than good. Good luck.
    I'll back this from personal experience. I cut to around five % body fat by cutting carbs and being on an extremely low caloric intake. In order to get back I had to up the calories slowly and gained about 10-15 lb before I recovered to around where the balance of TDEE and my caloric intake should be. During the cut and while on those low calories I felt like ****, and it screwed up my relationship with food because I would always want to binge. Eventually, though, I got back to a healthy body fat percentage and a reasonable caloric intake that goes well with my TDEE. If cutting try not to go below 20-25% of your TDEE and remember that weight loss does become harder as you become leaner. Cutting more and more calories without using a percentage based approach will result in metabolic damage and the potential for eating disorders, depression, obsession with only eating certain things in certain amounts etc.
  • You're eating too less calories and your body is probably in starvation mode... which makes it hard to burn fat as it stores it. Eat more and have lots of green tea to boost your metabolism and other fat burning foods:)
  • lonestarb
    Options
    Having read your post and the long list of replies.... I favor the calling your doctor answer. Something going on with your body that a few medical tests might reveal.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    That is a rather involved calculator for the experienced, I'd skip it. Mifflin, Harris, Katch are BMR formula's, Cunningham and others are RMR, which is 150-250 higher than BMR. Hence the range you got.
    You just confused yourself is all.

Again, a BMR based on your actual LBM, or in other words, bodyfat %, will allow you to start with best estimate. That is the Katch BMR.

Vast majority are within 5% of that estimate outside medical issues or suppressing your metabolism, but the BMR can only be suppressed so much.

Your body will make sure your BMR has enough calories by slowing higher functions (hair, nail, skin growth, muscle repair, ect), even to the point studies have shown your whole TDEE can be suppressed by less daily normal movement (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis NEAT), or bad heat generation in winter (getting colder easier).

This. Find a way to get a reasonably accurate body fat % number and use the Katch-McArdie calculation. That will give you an idea of what you SHOULD be eating, given the amount you exercise and your stats, so you can work up to that, ideally with the help of a doctor who specializes in dealing with metabolic issues from under eating.
  • nwachim
    nwachim Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    wow! i think i might have run into the same problem too, the scale has just been going up no matter what i do, i was just about 3 pounds away from maintainance and i decided to up my calories to about 1750, and i started gaining,so i reduced it to 1650 and increased my exercise but even with that i have still have continued to gain unfortunately i cant imagine going lower than 1650 because even with that amount of calories i still sometimes get very hungry,so i just decided i will stop measuring and weighing myself,do cardio moderately,lift heavy weights and continue to eat at 1650.i hope this works for me because reading this post has just opened up my eyes to the problem i ve got myself into.
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess, I'd say that you trained your body very well to run on very few kcalories. You may have to start over with a metabolic reset (an initial gain), lose it again slower and then level off into maintenance.

More helpful info here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

^This. If you logging honestly, it would seem impossible to gain weight from eating so few calories - but it isn't. Eating less than 1000 calories for a significant amount of time, limiting carbs, while also exercising by doing endless amounts of steady state cardio, you most likely have caused metabolic damage. Your body has gotten increasingly efficient at running on so few calories by slowing down its metabolism. The answer isn't to cut out more calories, because you are already at a dangerously low level. The above link from tryclyn should provide more help. I also recommend searching YouTube for Layne Norton and metabolic damage. You basically have to do a reset by reverse dieting. Increasing your calories by slowly upping carbs and slowing decreasing cardio and training. You will most likely gain more weight, and it isn't an overnight fix. Seek professional help if need be.

The goal is to eat as many calories as possible and manintain weight, not as few calories as possible. In the long run, such a large restriction, coupled with intense training, causes more harm than good. Good luck.

^^^^^^^^ 110%
  • nitza53
    nitza53 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My first step was giving up Pepsi. I started drinking mio ice tea flavor drops to replace it and now I am down to 1 mio flavored drink a day. . You can adjust the drops to your individual taste, now I just use a very little bit. Hope this helps. I too gained on diet Pepsi lost 6 pounds in a week by replacing it. give it a shot
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity what are you doing to those lean chicken burgers to make them so lean? Chicken breast is 140 cal for 4 ounces and you have a 2.5 ounce patty listed at 44 cal. Always looking for a new burger patty recipe.
  • MCsAngel2
    MCsAngel2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have to throw my hat in to the metabolic damage ring. I also lost weight (about 45 lbs) going low carb, low calorie. I have gained back 20 lbs, but that is because I went back to eating like I used to.

The most important thing I learned about low carb dieting when I started, was that I read that you have to give your body a break from it every 3 months if you want to avoid the metabolic damage. I am not familiar with how to repair/reset, but I thought that information would be helpful for you in the future. Good luck!
  • CWonder003
    CWonder003 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not an expert, but I agree with those who say you were eating too few calories while losing, and your body adapted to that.

I don't know how tall you are, but to put it in perspective:

I am 4'11", about 115 lbs.

I lost 10 lbs. over 4 months this past year by doing circuit training 2-3x a week for 30-60mins. and occasionally running 1-2 miles 1-2x/wk. I was very busy, so was not really strict with the workouts, but I do have a job that keeps me on my feet and moving around.

I lost weight eating 1400 cals/day... some days over, rarely more than 100 cals under. I tried the 1200 cals MFP originally suggested, and felt HORRIBLE and ravenous everyday, started getting headaches... and that was before I even started exercising! So, I manually changed the cals to 1400 and ate that much to see what happened... and I STILL lost weight.

I did not even weigh my food, I just did as close an estimate as possible, and made my own recipes when needed. So, I'm sure that I often underestimated my cals.

I would not be able to survive on less than 1200 cals/day, just sitting around, nevermind working out. I always eat most of my exercise calories back, too.

I can maintain eating that much and not exercising much at all. If I stop exercising AND eat more than 1400 cals, I start to gain. For my size, though 1400 is not a small amount of calories, and with exercise, I get to eat 1700-1800, which is where I normally stop eating on my own anyway.

I think you just need to start over with a higher calories intake per day, keep up the exercise, and slowly take off the weight you've gained. It will be hard, and the results not very dramatic, but it will be easier to maintain.