Why the heck did I do that?

Options
I have been around goal for about 6 months. I was tired of logging my food, and thought I'd try and see how I did on my own without logging.

I have managed to stay close to goal, but it's been a yoyo - up 7, down 5, up 6, down 3, whereas when I was logging, I was pretty steady around the goal mark. I know some of this is cyclical weight, some of it is water weight.

But what I did realize is that my thinking is getting skewed again... and this past weekend, I had a slap in the face that has caused me to decide to start logging again...

I had gone to boxing two nights in a row... which meant I put up a burn of about 1600 cals in two days. I went shopping and thought, hey... I've worked hard, I'm going to treat myself.

So I bought my weakness treat... Butter tarts.

drooling-chip-o.gif

I brought them home and had one. No biggie, I'd worked out. It was all good. Cals in vs Cals out - should be fine.
Then my kids started acting up. And I was feeling stressed. So I had another.

Then it was bedtime snack... and well... I'd gone boxing, right? So I had a third.

The next morning I had the fourth.

And then... I looked at the calories. And realized that each butter tart was close to 400 calories.
I had essentially eaten away all the work I had achieved by busting my *kitten* in boxing.

shocked.gif

I felt sick. (Some of it may have been due to the fact that was a LOT of butter tart... LOL)

My point is...
It's really easy to "reward" ourselves for work we've done in the gym with food treats... but if we aren't counting our calories, or at least paying attention to them... then we will quickly sabotage our own hard work... and not even realize we are doing it.

"I don't understand why I didn't lose any weight this week? I put up massive burns!"

Oh wait...
I ate 1300 calories in the way of 4 butter tarts.

tumblr_m8omvzCyq31rwcc6bo1_400.gif

Replies

• dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Or...you can celebrate the fact that you can get past the occasional nutritional indulgence without the usual penalty because you kick so much *kitten*!
  • firstjog11
    firstjog11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That made me smile! How true.
  • frankiep73
    frankiep73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I get it. We use food as a reward before anything else. Good for you for seeing the error of your ways... now, to just remember that when we are out shopping!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    hey it happens, glad that you're aware....I've been there and fallen back many times \m/
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    But I'm gonna bet you probably enjoyed your workouts. You weren't doing them JUST so you could eat so it really wasn't a wash/waste of time and effort.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time, and I track. That's why I have been in maintenance mode when I shuold be trying to shed the last 15 pounds.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I have found that logging is crucial for me also! You really don't realize how many calories you are consuming throughout the day unless you log everything you eat! I was amazed to find out that I was eating over 4000 calories a day before starting this diary. I would say, " I don't know why I am gaining weight! I don't eat that much!" all because I wouldn't eat big meals but I would snack through out the day on low fat but sugar laden snacks. This was an awesome topic! Thanks for sharing!
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I want to know what a butter tart is.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Polished off the cookies last night and decided to not face the music and stopped logging. Not quite as much damage...they're small cookies...but the point is the same. To be conscious of our patterns.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Well, at least you didn't eat MORE than you burned. Sounds like maintaining to me.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Butter%20tarts-%20split%20open%201_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg?imgmax=800
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options

So, fat and sugar with just enough flour to hold it all together. Looks awesome.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    I'm not worried that I'm going to get fat.. but eating like that causes me to gain mental fat quickly.
    I struggle with feeling obese in my mind, and when I eat crappy, I gain insane amounts of mental fat.

And it's not just the butter tarts. Those are an example. I've been justifying poor food choices because "I work out". And I am lucky because I work out so intensely that I am still maintaining...

But how many of us don't work out enough to burn off the rewards we give ourselves?

The fact is that I will be much healthier and happier, both in my body and in my head, if I make better food choices.

For me, logging = awareness, and better choices.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I log every day and I still do that. :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

yum.gif
  • MireyGal76
    Options

yum.gif

INORITE???
    *pleasure shivers*
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Me, too. And when I know I've gone over, I just don't finish my diary, which is helping no one...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Me, too. And when I know I've gone over, I just don't finish my diary, which is helping no one...

Yeah, sometimes when I have gone so far over... I just stop logging. *hangs head in shame*
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    We've all done it. Bought garbage food with the best of intentions to ration it, or eat one portion and share the rest, or whatever. And then eaten the whole dang thing ourselves.

Today's a new day. Drink a glass of water and move on. By the way your profile photo is amazing!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

yum.gif

INORITE???
    *pleasure shivers*

I'm actually imagining in my mind what that bad boy must taste like. I have a terrible sweet tooth.

Where could one obtain such a horrendous diet-destructor?