Feeling VERY intimidated by Zumba

Options
13»

Replies

• WinwillLose
    Options
    I love zumba. I was so stressed before my first class. Just realize Zumba is meant to be fun, and keep moving. Don't worry about shaking your hips or shoulders. The first few classes maybe just focus on the foot work. Might help if you do a few routines at home just to get some basic steps down. The first few classes might not be great cardio, because you need to learn some basic steps before you get your heart rate up to a cardio level, but after 3 classes you will feel more comfortable.

There will be Zumba regulars there who never miss a step and know every song, but they took a first class too once. So give yourself a chance to do something new!! I zumba on Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings at my local rec center the instructor is great, and its so much fun.

Try to keep yourself in a position in the class that you can see the instructors feet clearly, or find a person who is a regular to work out behind so you have a good sight line to someones feet...get the feet down before you worry about moving your arms.

There is a cutest older lady who takes the class on Saturday morning, always in the back and moving to her own beat.
    I'd say she is 65 or so, she smiles during the whole class and doesn't try to keep up or worry over how she looks...the lady has fun. I love seeing her in class, it makes my heart happy and she reminds me to do what makes me happy and not to worry what others think or see.

Go for it girl!
  • xxtaliaxx
    Options
    Don't be intimidated. The purpose of the class is to get you constantly moving and have a good time doing it. It doesn't matter what you look like when you do it, as long as you are getting a good workout and having fun doing it. That's why I go.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Two left feet here! BUT, I still feel the music and it's fun. If you're worried about what others think, you'll get over it. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts because I listen to sambas when I do yard work. They can't hear the music thanks to the ear buds, and I can't hear them laugh while I mow the lawn or trim the rose bushes doing a little Latin foot and hip work! Enjoy and to heck with it.
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Our motto in the class I attend is keep moving and have fun. Nobody cares what you are doing or if you are doing the right moves. Our particular group is so diverse and we have the best time. Give it a try and don't be intimidated.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Tried Zumba, at home thank goodness, and fumbled around like a total fool but I loooved it!! I did get very frustrated with it at first because I couldn't seem to get any of the moves right but all good things come with patience and practice. I got a little better and then stopped so I could start running lol
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My first Zumba class, I felt totally out of my element...and every once in a while I look around and remember that I totally suck at it...LOL (I have been doing it about a year now). There are girls who are great at it and really make me remember how bad at it I am (not their attitudes, just by how good they are) and then there are other girls who aren't that great like me. Have you tried a class yet?

If no: you will likely see a mix - people who it's very natural for and people it is not so natural for,

if yes: the more you do it, you'll feel more comfortable - I did. I love it and i still KNOW that i am not great or anything.

I have even gotten on stage with the trainer haha. For ME that is HUGE since i prefer to hide in the back. I find that during Zumba one is too busy focusing on what they are doing to worry about those around them (other than making sure you don't bump into the girl next you :bigsmile: ) And I have never found anything but either encouragement or just "you do your thing and i'll do mine". If you are moving and having fun, and not getting hurt you are doing what you are supposed to do! :smile:
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I find it really amusing to watch "old ladies" swing their hips around like teenagers, and I know that if they are doing it, I can do it too and won't be judged at all.

I find it really amusing that teenagers think hip movements are reserved for only the young! :flowerforyou:
  • hhill83
    hhill83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    After 3 months of doing Zumba I can honestly say 90% of people in my class have no rhythm at all :-) and I am often one of them! I was really intimidated by the idea and still hold back on a few 'posy' moves but it is great fun and a great workout! Hope you enjoy It x
  • miatavixxen
    Options
    As a Zumba instructor, first of all, my favorite saying is: "There are no screwups with Zumba, only unexpected solos."

It truly is just about enjoying the music, the energy of the group and moving! There are all shapes and sizes and movement styles. I would say, if you try a class and you feel you can't follow the instructor, try another one. Each instructor, though the structure is the same, has a slightly different style. I have a class on Tuesdays that I share with another instructor, she is more hip hop and her stuff is more complicated, mine is much easier to follow and more latin feeling.

The key to working out is finding a workout you can enjoy. If you really truly hate your workout it is VERY hard to stick with it.

It is not about trying to teach you a perfect Salsa, Samba, Merengue, Reggaeton, etc... It about teaching you to love your workout and to love the changes your body can have through movement by loving the music and the rhythms.
  • bbzgrl110
    bbzgrl110 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I went to my first Zumba class, and I had a blast, it was so much fun.
    I probably looked like I was having a seizure, but so did half the other women in there.
    The best part was it didn't feel like I was exercizing, it just felt like having fun!!
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I went to my first Zumba class, and I had a blast, it was so much fun.
    I probably looked like I was having a seizure, but so did half the other women in there.
    The best part was it didn't feel like I was exercizing, it just felt like having fun!!

yaay for you!! for trying it most of all - liking it's great too!!! but kudos for taking a chance!!!
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better we laugh equally at all the zumba dancers and not just the ones that cant dance when they hold their workouts at our gym.

hmmm...at my gym the MMA fighters have been known to stop their workouts...and join us :bigsmile:
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    So proud of you for trying it! I have NO rhythm and I'm a big chicken :) I can't do aerobics either ... you're my hero!