Replies

• lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Love it
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Really great. Also, the little post that he links to (from the massage therapist) was lovely.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    ...I guess some of the points are valid, but really...this guy has a lot of time on his hands.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I like it. I read it the other day from stumptuous, and shared it with my mfp friends.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yea, I tried to follow that train of thought before, actually last weekend. I decided to see how far I could push in a single day. Did a 12 mile bike ride, followed by an hour of kickboxing, followed by and hour of kayaking, and finishing up with 7 mile run and 1.5 mile walk. I would think this amount of exercise would not break me; and it likely would not have when I was 20. But being 43 it took 2 days for it not to hurt to stand up. So I lost 2 days of training because I wanted to try and get 30 miles of self propulsion in 1 day.

Anyway, I am going to try it again this weekend. Hope it does not hurt as much...LOL
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing
  • thatonepersonfromtheinternet
    Options
    Good post
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Read it today.

The author is a moron if he thinks anyone follows those to the letter.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    interesting. thanks for sharing.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Right on the money and also amusing.
    You overestimate the common sense of the desperate.
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What a great writer! Thanks for sharing.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've puked, sobbed and crawled after workouts or races (true story), but only one at a time. I've never crawled, puked and wept at the same time. If fitness is your goal, there's no need for that sort of thing. I will say however, if you're racing or after performance, trying to beat someone in competition or trying to really see what you're made of, training at that level, vomit inducing, crippling, tear inspiring, has its place.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I liked it, well written and passionate. I find it annoying people in the comments on the page are actually throwing a fit cuz he swears though =_=
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I shared this on all my social networks yesterday -- it needed to be said. Exercising while someone yells at you until you cry and vomit isn't healthy, it is masochism.
  • CharlieSmurfetteFarley
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Glad I'm not the only one they bug!
  • kellyredleaf
    Options
    Read it today.

A lot of military members certainly embrace these "fitness at all costs" mentalities.
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I really liked this because I think at some point many of us on this site can agree with it or relate to the message he is sending. Coming to this site, I had this goal for fitness, and so far I've lost 44 lbs, and I'm in my BMI- I'm 9 lbs away from my original goal. Honestly, some days I get caught up in the mentality that 44 lbs isn't enough, I have a HUGE fear of gaining any amount of weight (even 1 lb), feelings of worthlessness when I haven't lost anything in a couple of weeks, and feeling guilty when I don't have at least 200 calories left over in a day. It's this urge to just keep getting smaller and smaller, seeing that number on the scale go down brings soo much satisfaction. It's sooo easy to get caught up in these unrealistic ideas for fitness like in this article and disregarding what fitness is like for the majority of healthy, fit people. These people are paid to look this way, and I bet if we all were paid to work out, we'd look like that. But what makes me even more sad is that many of us unfortunately spend far too much time obsessing about losing weight that we lose sight of the health in between. So focused on this ideal that we can't enjoy the journey, many have a hard time TRUELY treating themselves without feeling guilty with eating out once in a while or or allowing themselves to take an exercise break (which I am truely unable to do because I feel sooo guilty). I, like many other of us on this site, should take time to enjoy how far we come, how awesome our lifestyles have become, and enjoy the new changes in our bodies- and it's hard to do that when we fall into these ideas and have the "must have now" mentality.
  • ewartluft
    ewartluft Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump to read again later
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    ...I guess some of the points are valid, but really...this guy has a lot of time on his hands.

Yeah, this.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Interesting dissection of social media.

But I think a lot of it is really all about interpretation. I personally dislike shows such as the Biggest Loser where the 'at all costs' mentality leads to contestants being pushed to the point of vomiting/injury/collapse because they physically cannot (or cannot safely) do what is being asked of them.

There is, however, a difference between that and telling the whiny voice in your head you KNOW is a liar to shut up. For example, I know I can run a 5k, no problem. But I can promise in the first kilometer my brain will be trying to talk me out of it ("It's cold out here. I don't like this hill. Can we go home and watch TV?"). After that though I tend to get into my groove and enjoy things, so it's just a matter of pushing past the initial why-did-I-have-to-get-off-the-couch part.

As for 'obsessed' and 'dedicated' - there IS a difference between the two, yes. But it does seem as though a lot of MFP members, in taking active steps to improve their health, have been labelled negatively by those around them. And sometimes it's simply a matter of context. Someone who loves to cook and is always trying out new recipes could be accused of having an obsession, but if the person saying that lives off microwavable meals then it does give things a little perspective. I don't think the intention of the photo in question was to encourage obsessive habits, but I can't imagine it's easy to come up with a slogan that can't in some way be misinterpreted.

Sexy is sexy. What is considered so depends on both the society and the individual. You can find glamourized photos of anorexic women, slender women, muscular women, curvy women, overweight women, and so on. Phrases like "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels", "Bones are for dogs - real women have curves", and "Strong is the new sexy" are all just catchphrases associated with different ideals and imply that everyone should strive to be a particular way.

So yeah. Guy had some valid points. But as someone above said, he probably had a lot of time on his hands :tongue: