Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    interesting thanks for sharing
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I loved that! Thanks so much for sharing.

(and I get seriously pissed when my body won't do what I tell it to)
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    #5 = awesome
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    but really...this guy has a lot of time on his hands.

LOL, this was exactly what I thought too.
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Fhank Fou For Fharing
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    meh
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The rapey one is pretty dead-on. I LOL'd, quietly, and not out loud. It's come to my attention that some people take things very literally, so I want to be specific. I found it mildly amusing.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Fitness-Ten-More.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Lol, I like the drinking ones with the fitness phrases.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Lol, I like the drinking ones with the fitness phrases.

Fitness-Beer.jpg
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Interesting dissection of social media.

But I think a lot of it is really all about interpretation. I personally dislike shows such as the Biggest Loser where the 'at all costs' mentality leads to contestants being pushed to the point of vomiting/injury/collapse because they physically cannot (or cannot safely) do what is being asked of them.

There is, however, a difference between that and telling the whiny voice in your head you KNOW is a liar to shut up. For example, I know I can run a 5k, no problem. But I can promise in the first kilometer my brain will be trying to talk me out of it ("It's cold out here. I don't like this hill. Can we go home and watch TV?"). After that though I tend to get into my groove and enjoy things, so it's just a matter of pushing past the initial why-did-I-have-to-get-off-the-couch part.

As for 'obsessed' and 'dedicated' - there IS a difference between the two, yes. But it does seem as though a lot of MFP members, in taking active steps to improve their health, have been labelled negatively by those around them. And sometimes it's simply a matter of context. Someone who loves to cook and is always trying out new recipes could be accused of having an obsession, but if the person saying that lives off microwavable meals then it does give things a little perspective. I don't think the intention of the photo in question was to encourage obsessive habits, but I can't imagine it's easy to come up with a slogan that can't in some way be misinterpreted.

Sexy is sexy. What is considered so depends on both the society and the individual. You can find glamourized photos of anorexic women, slender women, muscular women, curvy women, overweight women, and so on. Phrases like "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels", "Bones are for dogs - real women have curves", and "Strong is the new sexy" are all just catchphrases associated with different ideals and imply that everyone should strive to be a particular way.

So yeah. Guy had some valid points. But as someone above said, he probably had a lot of time on his hands :tongue:

Great post.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't find those to be shocking at all. :indifferent:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    5A1PgWr.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    About the original blog post, I liked it, I didn't love it. I thought it was worth sharing with my mfp friends, but I didn't share it on facebook (because I didn't love it that much). But, I thought it was funny and worth thinking about. I also would not say they were shocking. But, I think the subtlety is more interesting to think about than if they were indeed "shocking". And I don't necessarily think they are "bad", just worth thinking about and talking about and he wrote about it in a funny way. I also think fitspiration is fine, especially when it is athletes you respect. But, again, still worth thinking about. There can be a lot of nonsense out there that just gets passed around as if it isn't nonsense.

As for the link to the chiropractor's post. I also liked that. It was nice. But, it also wasn't true that fit people don't have round booties and breasts. There is a lot of variation in fit bodies.
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here...

(if I can figure out image posting)
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    5A1PgWr.jpg

Favorite :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU. I see those kinds of photos everywhere being deemed as "so inspirational." They're not.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    LOL, motivation is _supposed_ to be over the top.

"You're doing an ok job!"
    "Maybe go for a stroll after dinner?"
    "69% of Americans are overweight - It's normal"
    "It's ok, you put in a bit of effort!"
    "Limits are limits for a reason"
    "Maybe it's genetic?"
    "No, really, you look fine how you are!"
    "At least you're moving!"
    "Don't over do it!"
    "Go ahead and stop - maybe you're just tired today?"

These might all be true, but they are not motivational.