Do you drink coffee?

Options
13»

Replies

• webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee (black) in the AM and one Coke at lunch.

Years ago I used to drink Diet Coke, but then I found out that Aspartame was going to kill me faster than obesity ever would (not that I'm obese).

Caffeine IS an addiction - anyone who has had withdrawal headaches (like many in this thread) know that.

In many cases, what you add to the caffeine is what causes the "weight" problem: sugar, dairy, syrups/flavouring

You can take yourself off caffeine - slowly. Start mixing your coffee with 1/4 decaf for a couple of weeks. Then 1/2 decaf, and so on. Remember to have a "replacement" - drinking that coffee or Coke is also a *habit*, so you need to replace the habit - drink a low-sugar juice or water from a coffee mug.

Remember too, however, that caffeine has been used as a weight management tool for years - and it's a diuretic - so be prepared to adapt to changes in hunger, etc.
  • CoachSamCornell
    Options
    I drink coffee, probably two or three cups a day, and usually just in the morning otherwise I find I don't sleep very well at night. I drink black coffee now but used to drink it with milk and sugar. I gradually weaned myself off the milk and sugar by first removing the sugar for a few weeks then removing the milk. I now prefer drinking black. You can actually taste the difference in coffees when drinking it like that.

There are studies that show coffee aids weight loss. Mainly because of the caffeine, it speeds up your metabolism, but also mobilises stored fat within the body for use as energy. Adding milk and sugar or sweetener will obviously counteract this.

Personally I wouldn't give it up. More to the point, I couldn't give it up! It wakes me up in the morning and it's not 'bad' for you so why would anybody think about quitting coffee. Although it could be bad for you if you drank it excessively but that goes for most things I guess.
  • XXElmaXX
    Options
    I drank a lot of black coffee and glass of water for each cup. Now that I´m doing LCHF I drink my coffee with cream and drink 1-2 glasses of water with each cup. It kind of helps me with the water intake.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    It's a drug just like any other. Perhaps not as intense as many but still a drug.

Yes, but not all drugs are bad. Caffeine is neuroprotective (if you want a source for that, enter "caffeine neuroprotective into PubMed, there are many papers on this). Medications are drugs.

Well said, however medications are taken because there stands a medical need. Coffee is not.

Not a medical need, but also not a moral failing.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I normally drink regular cokes but since I'm back on track it hurts to use that many calories on a drink. I used to drink a lot and was trying to cut back some but have been having awful headaches almost daily for nearly 2 months. This afternoon I tried a skinny caramel latte and OMG, it was amazing and my headache was gone within 30 mins. I know it has more caffeine in it but it had less than half the calories of my 20oz coke and sugar and suppressed my appetite for hours! I'm just wondering if I should quit while I'm ahead though and not even start with the coffee.

It isn't the coffee, it's what you put in it that adds calories. Flavour syrups are loaded with sugar and cals. Then you add the milk/cream/creamer and the sugar and you're way over budget!!! Calling these drinks 'skinny' is a con.

Most ground coffee is a max of 2 cals per cup and Kenco Millicano Wholebean Instant is zero cals - I drink lots of both of these ....but black - Aldi Kruger Instant cappuccino is 39 cals per sachet. Obviously diet coke is much lower in cals that regular coke too.
  • ratty6276
    ratty6276 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I only ever drink espresso with hot water, I'm lucky I don't require a lot of sugar on a daily basis........I'm sweet enough as I would have my girlfriend believe.....
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Coffee should only be drunk black with no sugar, can't stand people putting rubbish such as cream (silly americans). I don't know what i'd do without my daily cups of coffee, help me wake up in the morning and keeps me awake when working nights, and at around 6 cals per cup its alot better than coke.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You'll have to pry my coffee from my cold, dead hands. I drink one big mug every day with some variety of sugar free creamer (1 or 2 TBS depending on type). I consider it 50 calories well spent.

After that, I switch to plain tea.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i am addicted to caffeine. I used to drink at least 20+ oz of Pepsi a day on top of my 2 cups of coffee each morning. I dropped the Pepsi and drink water now. It wasn't easy. I still get cravings for it and it's been over 2 months. However the carbonation causes so much bloating with me that I don't even want to touch it! Even the diet sodas. If you can manage to wean yourself off the soft drinks and the coffee you will be in great shape! Maybe just slowly wean off of the soda or coffee so your body doesn't go through such hard withdrawals?? Good luck!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Used to drink a couple of large mugs of coffee each morning with a good healthy splash of flavored Coffeemate. That junk has 30-35 calories a serving (which is just one lone tablespoon) and I was adding a LOT of tablespoons. Now I just drink my coffee black. Helps that I use fresh ground beans to do so which helps the taste a lot. Also helps to appreciate the taste of the coffee when it isn't obliterated by all the added garbage.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have a minimum of 2 cappuccinos a day (most I make at home). The milk actually helps me reach my protein goal for the day, and if wasnt drinking it in my coffee, I would be drinking it as straight milk anyway.

Nothing wrong with coffee as long as you can make the 'extras' fit your calories and macros.

I have 2 cups of coffee with at least 2T of creamer in each cup every day. I measure it out so I know how much I'm getting. I count those calories and make room for them.

Some things are not worth giving up. Coffee with creamer is one of those things for me. If you can fit it in your macros and calorie goal, why not?
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    yes
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I normally drink regular cokes but since I'm back on track it hurts to use that many calories on a drink. I used to drink a lot and was trying to cut back some but have been having awful headaches almost daily for nearly 2 months. This afternoon I tried a skinny caramel latte and OMG, it was amazing and my headache was gone within 30 mins. I know it has more caffeine in it but it had less than half the calories of my 20oz coke and sugar and suppressed my appetite for hours! I'm just wondering if I should quit while I'm ahead though and not even start with the coffee.
    Your headaches may have been caused by caffeine withdrawal which would explain the 'latte cure'. Caffeine's funny stuff, a little can be pleasant, stimulative and even cure headaches; too much can cause jitters and GIVE you headaches. A cup or two a day shouldn't cause you any problems as long as you limit fatty and sugar-laden additives.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/NU00600/NSECTIONGROUP=2
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my coffee, black, no sugar, so not feeling guilty about that at all. I could quite happily switch to decaf if I needed, but caffeine doesn't seem to keep me awake (I only have 2 cups a day though)
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes too much
  • erilynbmore
    erilynbmore Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee with truvia and soymilk and coke zero. It may not be the best for me but it is better than regular coke and Starbucks. I prefer it over caffeine withdrawal. :)
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Here's a simple treat if you love sweet coffee (iced mocha):

12oz cold coffee of choice
    1 container Premium Chocolate Protein drink (Costco)
    Serve chilled over ice

Its a fantastic alternative to anything a coffee shop could offer and it tastes GREAT IMO...165 calories, 30g protein, 5g carbs
  • Ibleedlipstick
    Ibleedlipstick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, yes. I love skinny lattes because they give me the boost I need, without a ton of calories! Sometimes I have one made with soy milk instead of fat free milk and it is amazing. A few calories more, but more filling and delicious. I typically have one for breakfast (I can't bring myself to eat solid food in the morning, it just makes me feel gross) and it carries me for hours.