What Happens to Runners in the Winter?

Hi all --

I just recently started running this past summer and have fallen in love with it.

My question is, what happens in the winter? Do runners still run? I run outside. What about ice? Is it safe to run outside? Oh, guess I should say this, I live in Georgia and we can have some harsh winters. No snow but a lot of black ice, so roads can be super slippery.

I like to run on trails too, like hiking trails, is that safe in the winter?

Or do runners just run on treadmills? Not a big fan of treadmills but will do what I gotta do.

Just curious.

Feel free to add me :)

Thanks,
Joanna

Replies

• fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    I live in Texas, so its pretty much the opposite. In the summer its too hot to run outside so I use machines at the gym. In the winter its perfect running weather. I just add an extra layer.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I run outdoors all year long. I change up my clothing based on conditions, but that's about it.
  • sfphelan
    sfphelan Posts: 53 Member
    I live in Arkansas and i run yr round. i am not a big fan of the tredmill so i tend to just layer up and hit the roads and trails.. research dressing for your area and just try it out and determine for yourself. everyone is different but i love it yr round!
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    I started running last year doing the C25K right before winter started. We get some ice here in NC but it's usually not bad. I just did it inside if the weather was crappy. I will say it's 10x easier (for me at least) to run in the winter than the summer. Even now in 80 degree heat I can only do about 3 miles. My highest in the winter last year was 8.
  • If the roads/sidewalks are clear I will run but if there is ice I move inside to the dreaded treadmill
  • I'm facing the same dilemma. I live in Southern Ontario so our winters are all over the place and you can pretty much count on both snow and ice. I think I'll go for it and maybe run a little slower... or use salted sidewalks.
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    I'm wondering about this myself. I'm in NC and I've been told that running in the winter is SOOOO much harder than in the summer because of the cold air and how it affects your breathing. I have asthma, so I'm a bit concerned. I too just started this summer! Curious myself!!!
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    I live in Scotland and I still go out and run in the winter. We tend to have our roads gritted though, so although it isnt safe to run on the paths, it is safer to run on the roads. I avoid all nature trails in the winter during the ice and snow and i wrap up
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    I live in the Midwest and our winters can be rough, too. The bike path I normally run on gets iced over for several months during the winter isn't even safe to walk on let alone run. Therefore, I purchased a nice used treadmill from Craigslist and I use it for shorter runs. For my longer runs, I am fortunate to have an 1/8 mile indoor track at a community center close to me. I can log my long runs there with warmth and music! LOL.

The "other" Joanna :smile:
  • I live in the UK so we are allllllll good with bad weather :)
    I just change up my clothing - I do have 'winter' trainers aka gortex and better grip for bad weather/slippy conditions
    The only thing that bothers me is the dark - So I run longer outside during the day at the weekend and the horrible treadmill during week days (when it get's really dark)
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    I'm wondering about this myself. I'm in NC and I've been told that running in the winter is SOOOO much harder than in the summer because of the cold air and how it affects your breathing. I have asthma, so I'm a bit concerned. I too just started this summer! Curious myself!!!

I don't have asthma so I can't comment on that part, but for me I find the cold air easier than the humid air we seem to get in the summers.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    I got told to buy trail shoes and insulated pants. This is what my friend does...My winter running garb: A long sleeve technical t-shirt, with a snug fitting t-shirt over top of that. Lightly insulated warmup pants, light gloves and a winter hat. I've found that was plenty to keep me warm. Occasionally if it was really bitter out I wore a scarf over my face.

We live in MI so it gets brutal during the winter. I personally haven't tried it but I will this winter. I want to get better and taking off all winter isn't an option.
  • pithole
    pithole Posts: 75 Member
    Just. Keep. Running.
    I'm in the Philly burbs and we get plenty of snow.
    Just wear the right clothes and be careful.
    It can be a beautiful experience running through virgin snow @ 5AM.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member

With athsma if it gets too cold, put a scarf over your mouth. Breathing in the humid air is better for your lungs. That's what my doc told me. :flowerforyou:
  • JillyBadass
    JillyBadass Posts: 20 Member
    Run in the bitter cold!! I have grown to love running in every season and appreciate the beauty in all weather conditions. Plus you feel like a complete badass when you run in 19 degree weather! Invigorating!!

Oklahoma here. We get it all. The only word of caution would be for lightning and black ice.
  • I am interested in this as well. I just started at the beginning of August, and love it. I want to continue through the winter and was going to just bundle up, but my fear is that I will get sick and then de-rail. :-(
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    It can be a beautiful experience running through virgin snow @ 5AM.

TOTALLY agree.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    you buy thermal running gear, gloves and muffs and you keep running.

I live in NC and ran through the winter last year. It's an investment, but worth it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I live in Texas, and while it doesn't usually get too cold or icy, the wind can be blistering at times. On those days, I just switch up the cardio and do some boxing or step aerobics. Then the next time the weather calms down, it's back to running. Better to mix it up a little anyway.