What Happens to Runners in the Winter?

Replies

• bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Hi all --

I just recently started running this past summer and have fallen in love with it.

My question is, what happens in the winter? Do runners still run? I run outside. What about ice? Is it safe to run outside? Oh, guess I should say this, I live in Georgia and we can have some harsh winters. No snow but a lot of black ice, so roads can be super slippery.

I like to run on trails too, like hiking trails, is that safe in the winter?

Or do runners just run on treadmills? Not a big fan of treadmills but will do what I gotta do.

Just curious.

Feel free to add me :)

Thanks,
    Joanna

I run around the basketball court in our gym on days I cant run outside. Beats running on treadmill.
  • joannadalina
    joannadalina Posts: 112 Member
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback, I am feeling more confident about winter running.

I had never heard of YakTrax! Definitely going to look into those!!

Thanks again, I really appreciate all of your feedback.

Running with a stungun (awesome comment, made me burst out in laughter at my desk at work) haha.

Thanks people :)
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Being in the sunny UK we don't have issues with the weather it's wall to wall sunshine 24/7 365days a year. On a serious note I draw a line at ice, i mean proper ice not just a hint of frost with the odd patch. Our main issue is rain but I love nothing more than a nice run in a downpour, so refreshing.
  • Chenca
    Chenca Posts: 20 Member
    I am in the same position- started running this summer and LOVE it. Can't imagine quitting in the winter. I was going to tough it outside, but I think I will just use the machines at my work. Not as good of a workout, but increasing the distance and incline should do it. Beats freezing my tushie off! Either way I think I will try running in the snow a few times, for the experience if nothing else.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Perhaps they hibernate or fly south for the winter?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Up here in the North they take that to the treadmill or gym track.. Almost nobody runs outside cause ya know.. below freezing and snow/ice everywhere doesn't make the best run
  • I run all year-add layers and better shoes-my coldest run last winter was 1 degree and I was covered in frost :)! If the trail is covered in ice I run in the snow next to the trail-snow running is tough and a great work out! I also use the treadmill at home and will visit the gym to run the track every once in a while-but I stick to outside as much as possible. My mileage usually goes down about 10 miles per week so I get a couple of months to recover, cross train, yoga and lift.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Treadmill....

I don't want to be outside when the windchill is 40-60 below.
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Hi all --

I just recently started running this past summer and have fallen in love with it.

My question is, what happens in the winter? Do runners still run? I run outside. What about ice? Is it safe to run outside? Oh, guess I should say this, I live in Georgia and we can have some harsh winters. No snow but a lot of black ice, so roads can be super slippery.

Or do runners just run on treadmills? Not a big fan of treadmills but will do what I gotta do.

Just curious.

Feel free to add me :)

Thanks,
    Joanna

I run outside all year here in the UK.

We can have snow, ice, and for me cold wind is the worst.

But, with appropriate clothing it's no problem (I always wear shorts).

Running on snow is no problem I find. Ice can sometimes be an issue, but taking it slower seems the solution. I know some people put old socks over their trainers for more grip - maybe helps?

In fact, the after-run high is better for me in the winter. Possibly something to do with getting back in the warm! :happy:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    I do a happy dance because it's not 100 degrees out anymore.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    I live in California, so I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to weather. I still run outdoors, but I cut back when it's "cold" (I use this term loosely, being in California and all). My strength training program gets way better to compensate :)
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    I live in Chicago/Cleveland and have been running for years. I hate to break it to you but in the winter...runners run in the cold. In fact, I ran a half marathon in a blizzard. Buy yourself a set of runner's legging and cold gear and a pair of winter trail shoes or shoe chains. Then suck it up and do it. Once you get moving your body adjusts and you're not even cold.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    They break a leg.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Get some thermo gear (I love Asics Thermopolis). I run in cold temps coupled with regular 15-20mph winds in western South Dakota. I've also invested in good gloves, ear warmers, 4 position face mask, and a beanie. Also, I'll use a pair of older running shoes with small screws in the sole for traction on ice.

I love running at night when it's snowing - something about the snow coming down under streetlights is really serene :)
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback, I am feeling more confident about winter running.

I had never heard of YakTrax! Definitely going to look into those!!

Thanks again, I really appreciate all of your feedback.

Running with a stungun (awesome comment, made me burst out in laughter at my desk at work) haha.

Thanks people :)

Yak trax are good if you have a lot of thick ice to deal with, like on a snowy/icy trail or long stretches of uncleared sidewalks. If you're running on mostly pavement with just a patch of black ice here and there, that's not what they're for. In Georgia, if you get an ice storm--I'm guessing it warms up enough a day or two later to melt everything? I'm in upstate NY where we can have a month long stretch in Jan/Feb where the temp doesn't go above freezing. That's where the Trax come in handy.
  • CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    I live in SC and get winters fairly similar to GA so I know what you mean with ice. But if you just keep at it through the fall and into the winter and add layers as it gets cooler you will just naturally adapt. I used to go skiing and snowboarding a long time ago and had those turtle things that slip on over your head around your neck that you can pull up over your face...priceless for me when I go running on really cold days. I even used it when I went up to visit my in-laws in VT and went running in 15 degree weather! keeps your lungs warm. But I find most cold days I can do with a pair of long running pants, a long sleeved thermal shirt over a t-shirt, a hat, and a pair of gloves.
    Also don't forget to continue to hydrate...I think one of things people forget to do is drink water during the winter cause it's not so hot and they aren't sweating as much...but you still need to take water out with you on long runs!
    Stay warm and have fun!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member

i'm originally from massachusetts but now live in VA reading your comment about GA winters being harsh made me laugh. :) okay back to y our question. i run trails, roads and on the treadmill in the winter. buy yourself some warmer running clothes for outside. running gloves are also important and something for your ears/head. me personally i wear running gloves but wear a cute pink cashmere hat to run in (yes yes i know not a "running hat" but i love it).

once you've been outside running for a bit you'll warm up. oh and if you decide to enter some races in the winter make sure you bring extra clothes with you to change in after the race - you don't want to sit in wet/sweaty clothes.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I live in California, but it's not all butterflies and sunshine year round, I swear! :tongue:

I run in rain, freezing temps, wind, thick fog - it's kinda fun to be the crazy one out there in the weather dodging puddles. :bigsmile: The tricky part for me has been learning how to dress for it so that I'm warm but not too warm. Headbands, hats, gloves (with the special nifty finger tip that lets you use your iPod or phone even with the gloves on!), long sleeve tops with half or full zips to adjust as you warm up or cool down, a thin wind-waterproof shell, etc.

My distance and speed definitely increases in the winter months - we have long hot summers here and the heat just zaps my endurance.
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Winter is when I learned to run...IMHO...SO much easier than the summer months...I live in upstate NY, so my runs are with a headlamp, reflective gear, gloves and when it's really snowy/icy a pair of Yaktracks.......nothing beats the stillness and beauty after a fresh snowfall. I never had a problem with breathing and the cold air. ENJOY !!
  • I'm in the Massachusetts so I feel your pain. Snow, ice and frigid temps can definitely throw a wrench into your planned runs. You may need to look around a bit to find areas that are suitable to run (when I worked in Boston, many people ran along the Charles river even in winter, so while there may have been icy/snowy areas, it was more than negotiable. As far as temperatures go, I was ok with any temp above 20, within a half mile I was plenty warmed up. And you will probably find that youre going faster and feeling better then during the dog days of summer. My fastest runs have been in the winter, and the cold air is refreshing.

For really cold temps, or unsafe conditions, a treadmill can always be an option as well.

good luck