What the heck is a burpee?

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    AKA "squat thrust".

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/Exercises/Burpee.html

Anytime you want to know what an exercise is, search exrx.net.
  • PURE EVIL!!!!!! lol
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    when you burp and pee at the same time?

Darn...did not get here in time and you took my comment. :grumble:
  • You will hate yourself later for asking!
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    An evil move that attempts to kill you and make you fit at the same time
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    I actually enjoy burpees and have even developped my own twist on them (that I call the Krashers - Krash is one of my nicknames lol). It's basically burpees with dumbbells. You do knee strikes once down (or mountain climbers), then renegade rows + push-ups (1 on each side) and instead of a jump, you snatch the dumbbells when you stand back up.

Have fun trying it out :) (Just, you know, master the more basic versions first. Don't hurt yourself)
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 509 Member
    Seriously, are these effective? Because I like things that doesn't require equipment, even if they suck.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Ahh to me thats what's known as a 'squat thrust'

I was starting to think I was crazy. This is what I have always known them as!
  • They are pure evil designed by plastic people who have super human hand/eye/foot coordination that real people don't have! :happy:

Having said that they actually a lot worse to watch than they are to try...:huh:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member

I haven't done squat thrusts since I was in school, but I'm pretty sure we didn't stand at the end of each rep. It was just push up position, knees to elbows, and then back to push up position.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member

I haven't done squat thrusts since I was in school, but I'm pretty sure we didn't stand at the end of each rep. It was just push up position, knees to elbows, and then back to push up position.

We always stood up at the end of each rep. I guess my elementary school coach was a little evil.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    They called those 'squat thrusts' when I was in school.

But although you can't spot reduce, you should try squats and pilates. Those have done some good things for my legs.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    there are some great links. I find them difficult at first, but they do get easier. Hang in there.:bigsmile:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member

We always stood up at the end of each rep. I guess my elementary school coach was a little evil.

Or it could be that our P.E. teacher was a perve, and not standing up gave more times with our arses in the air <shudder>
  • MrsRosenow
    MrsRosenow Posts: 109 Member
    Burpees= hell.....
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Add a star jump without a standing rest and straight down into the squat thrust.... also known in some military PT routines as 'complete b~stards'
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Satan invented the burpees....
    I saw a shirt that said
    buck furpies!!!! I must buy it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Client disciplinatory exercise. Whine and you get more of them.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RedRita32
    RedRita32 Posts: 321 Member
    No! Don't do it!!:noway: they are horrible things! Lol
  • LMO2Bfit
    LMO2Bfit Posts: 1 Member
    The act of burping so intensely that an excessive amount of calories are burned all at once. ;)