!Fruit & Veggie Substitution One-Day Challenge!

Options
:flowerforyou: Does your weight loss need a kick in the you-know-what? Mine does!! :ohwell: Would you like to learn to like fresh fruits and veggies? I do!! Can you use some support and good ideas? Me too!! I was never that fond of fruits and veggies.

:noway: We all know that "fresh fruits and vegetables" are good for us. But what are we doing about it? :tongue: I have recently done some fruit and veggie days and found tremendous benefit. Felt great, my mind was clear, and I lost 1.5 lbs in one weekend (as well as the pound or so I had gained during the week) :bigsmile: :bigsmile: And ....I am actually falling in love with fruits and veggies!! Go figure!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:wink: Here is how the challenge works:
-EAT vegetables and fruit at every meal and snack time for the day.
-SUBSTITUTE the starch (or meat or dairy) food portion in a meal with FRESH VEGETABLES
-Have only a fresh fruit or vegetables for snacks
-DRINK at least 8oz of water and no alcohol :drinker:
-Use common sense - Retrain your senses !!

(If you can't do a whole day, do one meal)

YOU decide to be in! YOU BENEFIT! Tell me what you are going to do and report back how you did.

I'm INNNNN and readyyyyy!!!

:heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:

Replies

• jmosecasey
    jmosecasey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sound like a good idea i will try it.
  • kimjenkins
    Options
    I will for sure try this, I know I am bad for fruit and veggies, haa I mean what are they?? I'll find out this week
  • RuthWorth
    RuthWorth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy some fruits and veggies and try to eat some every day. I am going to try harder now
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: 'jmosecasey', Kim and Ruth - Welcome to the challenge! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

To try is great! To try this together will be so much better!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: And thanks for giving me a boost. :smooched: :smooched: I'm going to try harder myself.

Good luck to all of us!!

• FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I will give it a try! Count me in!:flowerforyou:
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    I will give it a try! Count me in!:flowerforyou:

:love: :love: Fab! I love it when someone "gives it a try". Isn't that how we start things off? I am doing the substitution today in addition to your "Skinny Saturday" challenge, but you can do it any other day.

BFN

• callie365
    callie365 Posts: 689
    Options
    Hey Renny, GREAT idea!!! I dont know if I'll follow your challenge to the T, but I plan on making a conscious effort to clean up my diet this coming week. Eat less processed cabs, watch my sodium and incorporate fruits and/ or vegs in EVERY meal, but I dont know about snacks? Its a work in progress you know!! :laugh:
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    Hey Renny, GREAT idea!!! I dont know if I'll follow your challenge to the T, but I plan on making a conscious effort to clean up my diet this coming week. Eat less processed cabs, watch my sodium and incorporate fruits and/ or vegs in EVERY meal, but I dont know about snacks? Its a work in progress you know!! :laugh:

Hey Callie !! It is totally a work in progress. Taking it one day at the time or one meal at the time is key! I can't believe how much I have changed my own eating habits just by trying. It feels soooo good. ☼

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Good to have you on board. Your goal is super. :drinker: :drinker:

:heart: :heart: Rebel :heart: :heart:
  • callie365
    Options
    Thanks Renny!!:flowerforyou:

Its going to be much harder to delete the crappy-(SO crappy) carbs, than add the fruits and vegs, but I am determined!! :smile:

I know I will feel so much more alert!! :heart:

To start I went back to my Wheaties w/ rasins breakfast yesterday unstead, Kix and Cherrios that I love. The Wheaties are more filling.

I'll let you know how it goes .:smile:
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Yes I had already decided to try this on the non work out days so count me in. I already eat loads of veggies but no harm having even more.
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Goooood Moooorning, Fellow Substitutors!

I hope this topic gets you excited about eating fruits and veggies. I am reporting in that I lost ONE pound. Yay for me!

:flowerforyou: Welcome batty5!! You can't go wrong with your kind of attitude girlfriend. Have a great day and let us know what you are doing differently and how you're doing!

• FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Had an apple for breakfast then went out to lunch..............Had a Houlihan's grilled chicken sandwhich(1/2) and medit. orzo.....one meal at a time is right! Will try this during the weekdays. Apparently weekend is bad for me to be vege! Thanks for the encouragement Ren!:flowerforyou: I need a new focus! And I need to see the scale move!!!:wink:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    so after a bad start yesterday I had a vegie quesadilla for lunch and a huge spinach salad with raspberries and stuff for dinner (with salmon but still a big salad:happy: )

Today not so good but I will try to get in some fruit and vegies. does a low cal Mike's hard lemononade count? :laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I love my fruits and veggies but I wouldn't go so far as to cut out dairy, at least as a woman with a family history of osteoperosis. My favorite snacks are an apple with a tbsp peanut butter and an 8oz glass of milk....mmmmmmmmmmm
    and I love salads with freshly toasted nuts and feta cheese. Just saying a little protein with those veggies and fruit in non meat manner is always a good addition.

I'm off to have some now..
  • callie365
    Options
    Good Morning :smile:

My 1st day of cleaning up my diet was much harder than I thought but I think it was successful.

For dinner we had hamburger & FF... I substituted the FF with fresh cucumber slices. :smile:

My run down Banana, raisins, broccoli soup, orange, baby carrots, cucumber slices & hamburger fix-ns!!
  • callie365
    Options
    BTW PJilly has a challenge up...

"A New Me" Group's August Food Challenge"

That coincides with this one!
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    Had an apple for breakfast then went out to lunch..............Had a Houlihan's grilled chicken sandwhich(1/2) and medit. orzo.....one meal at a time is right! Will try this during the weekdays. Apparently weekend is bad for me to be vege! Thanks for the encouragement Ren!:flowerforyou: I need a new focus! And I need to see the scale move!!!:wink:

:flowerforyou: Fab!!! Well done. Everything helps and ONE meal at a time is great. I think once you see the pay-off your mind will start re-focusing on them more and more. I make sure I have plenty of fresh fruits and veggies in the house and simply no longer buy unhealthy snacks. (I say "simply", but it's not always so simple depending on who else is in your household)

I'd love to know how the substitution theory works for you during one of your weekdays:smile::smile: .

• RebelRenny
    Options
    so after a bad start yesterday I had a vegie quesadilla for lunch and a huge spinach salad with raspberries and stuff for dinner (with salmon but still a big salad:happy: )

Today not so good but I will try to get in some fruit and vegies. does a low cal Mike's hard lemononade count? :laugh:

:drinker: Robin! Spinach salad and salmon sounds delicious!!! You don't want to cut out other GOOD stuff, and salmon is a great food. :flowerforyou: Well done!

:noway: hard lemonade? hmmm......let me think......thinking, thinking, thinking.......uhm, is that about equal to the Smirnoff ice I had yesterday? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:

:flowerforyou: You totally inspire me with your exercise regime though!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

• RebelRenny
    Options
    I love my fruits and veggies but I wouldn't go so far as to cut out dairy, at least as a woman with a family history of osteoperosis. My favorite snacks are an apple with a tbsp peanut butter and an 8oz glass of milk....mmmmmmmmmmm
    and I love salads with freshly toasted nuts and feta cheese. Just saying a little protein with those veggies and fruit in non meat manner is always a good addition.

I'm off to have some now..

Hi Nichole!!!! Welcome. Wonderful to hear you love your fruit and veggies!!! You will be such an example for so many who find it difficult to incorporate those successfully into their diets! I very much agree with you that your eating plan must be in alignment with your health needs. I note that you said "a little protein". :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Our North-American diet is so focused on large portions of meat. A little goes a long way.

:flowerforyou: Thanks for writing. Keep up the good work. :drinker:

:heart: :heart: Rebel :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Mari1969
    Mari1969 Posts: 37
    Options
    Ok I think I can do this for a day or at least try :) I will try it one day this week and check in. I already had cereal for breakfast and pretzels for snack today so I can't do today. Tomorrow is my big workout day so I think I will try for Wed. :)