!Fruit & Veggie Substitution One-Day Challenge!

Options

Replies

• Mari1969
    Mari1969 Posts: 37
    Options
    Ok I think I can do this for a day or at least try :) I will try it one day this week and check in. I already had cereal for breakfast and pretzels for snack today so I can't do today. Tomorrow is my big workout day so I think I will try for Wed. :)
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Good Morning :smile:
    My 1st day of cleaning up my diet was much harder than I thought but I think it was successful.
    For dinner we had hamburger & FF... I substituted the FF with fresh cucumber slices. :smile:
    My run down Banana, raisins, broccoli soup, orange, baby carrots, cucumber slices & hamburger fix-ns!!

:drinker: Hi Callie!!! You got it girlfriend!! Substitution is the idea. Your substitution of FF with cucumber slices is a great example. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I found it was much harder than at first thought as well. I also had a tough time convincing DH of my decision to do this for one day. However, once he saw the results he is now totally on board!! Now that one day a week is a bit of a cleanse day for me.

Keep up the good work! And thanks for the pointer to the other challenge.

:heart: :heart: Rebel:heart::heart:
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    Ok I think I can do this for a day or at least try :) I will try it one day this week and check in. I already had cereal for breakfast and pretzels for snack today so I can't do today. Tomorrow is my big workout day so I think I will try for Wed. :)

:flowerforyou: Hi Mari1969!!! Great stuff. One day, because it is a One-Day challenge (or even start with a One-Meal). The idea is to eat FRESH fruits and veggies INSTEAD of some other higher-calorie food. You'll notice that you can eat a lot more of the fruits and veggies for example instead of only a small amount of high-calorie food.

!!!Example:

One snack-sized bag of corn chips (1 oz) = 147 calories of which 72 calories from fat (!!!!). 1 apple = 74 calories with 0 (zero) calories from fat. 1 cup of strawberries = 49 calories with 4 calories from fat. 1 cup of carrots = 52 calories with 3 calories from fat.

:noway: You see how much you can eat, and your calorie intake might be similar eating all of those instead of the 1-oz corn chips, BUT your calorie intake from fat would be only 7 instead of 72!!!??? :noway: :noway: Hard to grasp. Even more important, how much BETTER NUTRITION will you get from the fruits and veggies. :tongue: :tongue:

Let us know how it goes and good luck!!

:heart: :heart: Rebel :heart: :heart:
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Did it & weigh 0.6 lbs less today so now my second 1 day challenge as too busy looking after aged parents to exercise today, back to normal the rest of the week though with my daily swimming.
  • callie365
    callie365 Posts: 689
    Options
    Good Morning Girls :flowerforyou:

Its working:happy: I am down a lb and I am starting to feel like my old self again!

Renny Those FF are trigger foods for me you dont know how many times I caught myself going to grab a few ...

<<<mindlessly>>> :noway:

ONTO better choices!!
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    Did it & weigh 0.6 lbs less today so now my second 1 day challenge as too busy looking after aged parents to exercise today, back to normal the rest of the week though with my daily swimming.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Awesome, fantabulous and wonderful! when I first did it I did one day/week. Now I am actually changing my habits and WANT to have fruits and vegetables every day, especially raw ones!

:heart: Rebel:heart:
  • RebelRenny
    Options

Its working:happy: I am down a lb and I am starting to feel like my old self again!

Renny Those FF are trigger foods for me you dont know how many times I caught myself going to grab a few ...

ONTO better choices!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Callie!!!! Congrats on the lb!! I hear you about the "mindlessly" eating. Talk to me girl. How many of us are queens of mindless eating :(:angry::grumble:

Yay for you, Callie. Onto better choices (I have that on my fridge) :bigsmile:

:heart::heart: Rebel:heart::heart:
  • callie365
    Options

ONTO better choices!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Callie!!!! Congrats on the lb!! I hear you about the "mindlessly" eating. Talk to me girl. How many of us are queens of mindless eating :(:angry::grumble:

You got there....:drinker:
  • callie365
    Options

ONTO better choices!!

You got there....:drinker:

Wow that made so much sense!

:laugh: What I ment to say was

You got it there with "How many of us are queens of mindless eating"

:drinker: to your "better choices" fridge motivation
  • batty5
    Options
    My 2nd day & lost another 0.8 lb so total in 2 days of 1.4 lbs !!!!!! Yayy am thrilled just sorry I have so many mouth ulcers at the moment that any eating is difficult.
  • callie365
    Options
    batty.. 1.4 lbs loss is wonderful, I hope your mouth gets better, fast! :smile:
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    :happy: today is fruit & veggie substitution day for me. Anyone else in? Started this morning with a mango. Now I am eating blueberries and a banana. Look at me eating fruits for breakfast. Go figure.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Batty.....so happy for your loss! Congratulations! If the raw foods cause mouth ulcers, ensure that you eat RIPE fruit only. they are easy on the system. Let me know how you are feeling now.

• RebelRenny
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for the 2 lb loss Miss Fruit and Mr. Vegetable!! You guys plus the bike rides gave me a big boost in my healthy life journey!!

• dorwade
    dorwade Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! I will do it one day this week. I already eat lots of fruits/veggies, but the idea of eating more of them and leaving out the other stuff appeals to me. Today I have had: mango, avacado, tomatoes, onions, red peppers, orange peppers, apple, green beans and brussel sprouts. I'll have raspberries and greek yogurt for a snack in a bit. I'll need to shop for more fresh produce on Tuesday and wil do the challenge on Wednesday. I will let you know how it goes, thanks for posting this!
  • RebelRenny
    Options
    I love this idea! I will do it one day this week. I already eat lots of fruits/veggies, but the idea of eating more of them and leaving out the other stuff appeals to me. Today I have had: mango, avacado, tomatoes, onions, red peppers, orange peppers, apple, green beans and brussel sprouts. I'll have raspberries and greek yogurt for a snack in a bit. I'll need to shop for more fresh produce on Tuesday and wil do the challenge on Wednesday. I will let you know how it goes, thanks for posting this!

:flowerforyou: Hi Dorwade. Good job on eating all that good stuff. Your body is thanking you!! I'd love to hear how you are doing!

:drinker: :drinker: Here's to healthy choices :drinker: :drinker:

• FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    OK....I am in today! Heeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go!:flowerforyou:
  • callie365
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for the 2 lb loss Miss Fruit and Mr. Vegetable!! You guys plus the bike rides gave me a big boost in my healthy life journey!!

WTG!!!!:smile::smile: :smile:
  • RebelRenny
    Options

:flowerforyou: Woo hoo!!! Can't wait to hear all about it.

:heart: :heart: Rebel :heart:
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou: Woo hoo!!! Can't wait to hear all about it.

:heart: :heart: Rebel :heart:

:flowerforyou: OK RRenny and Vegebuds:
    :bigsmile: I loaded up on LOTS of fresh fruit and veges today! I was worried because I had a late lunch out (really my second lunch so I put it on snack) but anyway, it was at Steak and Shake....so I thought at first I would just wait until Tues. Then I thought, NO, something else will come up Tues....I am sticking to this..........And believe it or not, Steak and Shake has a new Harvest salad that has apples, grapes, blue cheese, and lots of veges! I was sooooooooo excited!You can order it with or without chicken. I don't see it on MFP so I looked it up on the SnS website and it is 300 cals with their low fat raspberry dressing, which is awesome! I did have an egg for breakfast and some cheese today.....had some starches, but whole wheat and a baked potato was my choice..........I am feeling full, statisfied, and pretty dang proud of myself for a meatless Monday. I have been running to the bathroom (burning extra calories, right?! Ha!) so I think it is a great idea at least once a week.....I may give it a go again prior to the weekend........Maybe I will have a meatless Mon + Fri!
    :heart: Thanks Renny, for this challenge and for being a teacher and great role-model for us! I am jazzed about this!!!:heart:
  • batty5
    Options
    Was so pleased & lost 1.5lbs in 2 days on this last week then by Friday put them back on & they have stayed!!! Am always under calories with them set at 1,000 as per doctors orders but still no loss.AAARRRGGGHHHH!