I shouldnt care...

I go to a small gym, mostly oler people. I try to go everyday, and I sweat, intervals ect. Today, "oh my do you live here?" the other day "You are her all of the time". I have ignored it, this happens at the minimum 1 or 2 times a week. I almost feel shamed for working out. Do you ever deal with similar? your response?:huh:

Replies

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    My current gym is loaded with old folks.

I have a love/hate relationship with them. I just smile and nod. They are just trying to be friendly and make small talk. They are retired, bored and are looking for some conversation.

My advice is to be nice and hope you get to be the old, annoying one someday.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    If it's old people I would say right back " what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be dead?"
    :laugh:
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    I don't understand why that bothers you. They are just trying to be amusing, and make small talk. Can't you just be pleasant, and say something like "some days it feels like it" or maybe just nod and smile. Why is this a concern of your? I really don't get it.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    I did the first 10 times, it is all of the time. Some are the same people. If I commented everday that you sure ate alot of lunch, at some point, would you tire of it? I am not sensitive, I just find it somewhat rude and tiresome. It is not said in an admiring or encouraging way for the most part. . I do not feel the need to defend nmyself for working out, or to placate bad manners by smiling and commeting.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    What is wrong with you people????

Don't you have old relatives? Would you like somebody to tell your parents or grandparents that they should be dead? Some day you will be old too and I hope that you encounter a rude younger person so you get a taste of the same medicine.

I am old, and I go to a gym full of people my age or even older. They rock exercising even with limitations and canes, and they don't let those limitations be an excuse. I also get from them the same comments that the OP mentioned and they don't bother me at all. If they notice that I am at the gym all the time, it is because they are there often too.

By the way, I am retired but not bored. Too busy to know the meaning of boredom.

OP: you should join Gold's Gym where you can get a lot of younger men hitting on you.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    old is not an excuse or license to be rude
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member

Don't you have old relatives? Would you like somebody to tell your parents or grandparents that they should be dead? Some day you will be old too and I hope that you encounter a rude younger person so you get a taste of the same medicine.

I am old, and I go to a gym full of people my age or even older. They rock exercising even with limitations and canes, and they don't let those limitations be an excuse. I also get from them the same comments that the OP mentioned and they don't bother me at all. If they notice that I am at the gym all the time, it is because they are there often too.

By the way, I am retired but not bored. Too busy to know the meaning of boredom.

OP: you should join Gold's Gym where you can get a lot of younger men hitting on you.

Calm down grams, it was a joke
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    "oh my do you live here?" the other day "You are here all of the time".

I get this just for going to the grocery store more than twice a week. I live in Florida, lots of old folks in general. It's really nothing to get in a twist about, they're at the gym too so I doubt they're being or meaning anything negative by it. They're just trying to find something to talk about. :smile:

Don't be self-conscious, make conversation back if you want to, be positive, you might make some nice new older friends :happy:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    they're aren't making fun of you. that's how people make small talk with people that they don't know intimately. if you were outside they would talk about the weather. it's not personal
  • Ely82010

Calm down grams, it was a joke

You have a weird sense of humor, specially in the internet. By the way, I am " grams" to my grandchildren, to you is Ely.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 507 Member
    Odes--what an insensitive comment. Hopefully when you are old some young snot doesn't treat you that way!
  • Ely82010
    old is not an excuse or license to be rude

Neither is youth.....
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Odes--what an insensitive comment. Hopefully when you are old some young snot doesn't treat you that way!

:laugh:
  • JumpinJill
    JumpinJill Posts: 63 Member

Haha, I hear that is actually a reason why a lot of girls leave that gym.

To the op: I used to work with old people for a few years. It is just their way of saying hi and making small talk. Like when you were younger and your grandma made some comment about school or your flower shoes, does she really care? probably not, but it's nice. The older generations are a lot more friendlier then ours and have more of a community feeling about themselves and others. So be nice back!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    man oh man, when did old people get so sensitive? which goes first, their sense of humor or their hearing?
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    kindness, consideration and patience and respect ...One day you will be old too. Sometimes people forget that older folk communicated by talking not texting, they made small talk, and got to know their neighbors and people that lived around them.

People are cold and heartless now days, everything is a smart *kitten* remark or made fun of, or ridiculed.

If someone talks to me everyday, I just say hi..answer and I am kind to them..because I may be the only person they have spoken to all day..maybe they are alone in this world..but, thats just me..I'm a softy for the human heart becuase I love people and know that everyone has struggles, being kind to someone will not kill you. JUst like another post stated imagine if that was your mother or father or grandparent. How would you want someone to treat them.

I hope you have a change of heart on how you see people..
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    man oh man, when did old people get so sensitive? which goes first, their sense of humor or their hearing?

Agreed. I think someone is taking things the wrong way.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member

I think this thread started with someone taking things the wrong way.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

I think this thread started with someone taking things the wrong way.

That's what I meant. :laugh: Thanks for translating Whierd!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    That seems like a better problem than me thinking a commercial gym was better than the smaller local one. I thought I knew what "busy" was...

HOLY ****... never go to the gym on a Monday, Tuesday, after hours after school or work lets out and if you do a late night workout it has to be closer to 2-3+ AM because it's still crowded at midnight.