I shouldnt care...

Options

Replies

• tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I go to a small gym, mostly oler people. I try to go everyday, and I sweat, intervals ect. Today, "oh my do you live here?" the other day "You are her all of the time". I have ignored it, this happens at the minimum 1 or 2 times a week. I almost feel shamed for working out. Do you ever deal with similar? your response?:huh:

Wow, I almost don't know what to say. How rude of these people to try to have a conversation with you. What are they thinking? And 1-2 times a week even, how do you find the time to respond? And you should really be ashamed of going to the gym all the time, such a terrible habit to have. My guess, you've never been described as a friendly person. Get over yourself, be polite, smile and have a nice brief response and feel good that someone is noticing your efforts. Guess I did know what to say after all. Have a good day :smile:
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'm not understanding why this bothers you...? Someone say "Oh my, you are here a lot" isn't a negative thing. It sounds like they are just trying to be conversational. I would pick your battles. This does not sound like something worth being annoyed by.
  • Gw3nJa
    Gw3nJa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ok so some of these older people might be like my grandma was in the fact that they are very matter of factly or just blunt. My grandma didn't know what rude was if she called you fat and you got mad she didn't get it because you WERE fat if you didn't like it you should fix it cause that's what you were. That bring said if these people are like that and saying this to you it's because you're there a lot. You can always wear gaint headphones to make obvious to the world you don't want to be talked to. It's what I do.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You have a weird sense of humor, specially in the internet. By the way, I am " grams" to my grandchildren, to you is Ely.

GOOD FOR YOU ELY!
  • hisbeautifulangel
    Options
    man oh man, when did old people get so sensitive? which goes first, their sense of humor or their hearing?

Agreed. I think someone is taking things the wrong way.

I think this thread started with someone taking things the wrong way.

Pissed off at idle gym chit chat is the MFP equivalent of pregnant women pissed off at "when are you due?" on baby boards and mom's being pissed at "what is her name/how old is he?" on mom boards.

Why do people get so mad about random banter?

Get off my lawn.

and cut your hair and pull up your pants, whippersnappers

Don't tell them to pull up their pants. I have too much fun watching bloopers of them totally tripping themselves when they fall.

Don't tell me to not tell them what to do! You're not the boss of me :grumble: :grumble:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't make me tickle you!

4411349240_68d2c9499a_o.gif

Omg that is adorable! I want it! Lol
  • hisbeautifulangel
    Options
    I go to a small gym, mostly oler people. I try to go everyday, and I sweat, intervals ect. Today, "oh my do you live here?" the other day "You are her all of the time". I have ignored it, this happens at the minimum 1 or 2 times a week. I almost feel shamed for working out. Do you ever deal with similar? your response?:huh:

Wow, I almost don't know what to say. How rude of these people to try to have a conversation with you. What are they thinking? And 1-2 times a week even, how do you find the time to respond? And you should really be ashamed of going to the gym all the time, such a terrible habit to have. My guess, you've never been described as a friendly person. Get over yourself, be polite, smile and have a nice brief response and feel good that someone is noticing your efforts. Guess I did know what to say after all. Have a good day :smile:

QFT
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    If they see you all the time then that means THEY are there all the time lol Just point that out
  • stillnot2late
    Options
    man oh man, when did old people get so sensitive? which goes first, their sense of humor or their hearing?

Agreed. I think someone is taking things the wrong way.

I think this thread started with someone taking things the wrong way.

One thing younger people cannot know and never will know while they are young, is how an older person feels. Things DO change. Older people are mostly being pushed to the back by the younger generation, and its not something new, that's just the way it is in the world. And we do get made fun of for trying to keep ourselves healthy, get told we are trying to be "young". When the young generation of today gets old, it will be the same thing happening to them. They will be laughed at about their hearing, their sense of humor, etc. Sensitivity increases with age also. I was one of the guilty young but now my az is old and all this crap is happening to me:laugh:
  • stillnot2late
    Options
    get-the-f-off-my-lawn-458x500_zps663c0717.jpg

FUNNY!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

"yeah I live here, I'm the landlord, you didn't pay me your rent this month.. I expect a check today from you or your otta here"

"yes I notice you are here all the time too, thank you for noticing while I get in even better shape than i am"
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    "oh my do you live here?" the other day "You are here all of the time".

I get this just for going to the grocery store more than twice a week. I live in Florida, lots of old folks in general. It's really nothing to get in a twist about, they're at the gym too so I doubt they're being or meaning anything negative by it. They're just trying to find something to talk about. :smile:

Don't be self-conscious, make conversation back if you want to, be positive, you might make some nice new older friends :happy:

^^^ this

why does everyone seem to interpret the most innocent comments as being rude or insulting?? If someone asked me "do you live here" I'd smile and reply yes. If they say "you're here all the time" I'd reply "Yep I love to work out" or tell them about my training routine.... sorry but I can't see what's remotely rude or insulting about those comments.....?
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It is annoying! But keep in mind that they just want to talk and are trying to start up a conversation. Older people tend to love to talk, probably because they have time (no full-time job, no family pressure, etc). Just smile and nod and say 'Yep!' and on a day you are not pressed for time stop and chat. Like, when someone says 'You're here all the time!' You could say, 'Yes I am, today I did blah blah blah, what's your favorite thing to do at the gym? Thus a conversation has been started.

On the days I'm not busy and needing to fly out the door to get to work on time or whatever, I stop and chat with the older people who try to talk to me. They are very funny and interesting and express genuine concern and interest in other people, something I find rare in people my age and younger.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    it may not be what theyre saying but how theyre saying it and I understand. I would just smile and keep working out. I wouldn't even respond. listen to some music and block them out
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have four kids under five years old. Any time I go out with my kids I have people come up to me to say, "wow, you sure have your hands full!" It drives me crazy because I feel like they are implying it's too much work for me to handle. But, their implication may be completely different than my inference.

Ultimately, I have no idea about the reasoning behind their comment, just as you have no idea about the reasoning behind theirs. They may see you frequently and be genuinely interested in starting conversation. They might be trying to be polite, because generally, older people have more manners and social grace than younger people. Whatever the case may be, don't get upset about it.
  • xapril77x
    xapril77x Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    :grumble: OP: U must be a bundle of sunshine & rainbows! Grow A personality! :flowerforyou:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Why are so many people so miserable?
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    To a guy, those are terms of endearment.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    they're aren't making fun of you. that's how people make small talk with people that they don't know intimately. if you were outside they would talk about the weather. it's not personal

QFT
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options