Vegan Anyone?

Options
Hi. I am a Vegan and I am struggling to meet my calorie goals. Before I started fitness and nutrition journaling I used to eat anything and everything that was considered to be Vegan. Now that I know better, I am steering clear of oils, fats, and processed foods as much as possible. As a result, I am eating a cleaner and leaner diet. Now I struggle daily to eat enough calories that are recommended (at least thru this site) as a suggested daily intake. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, Do you have any advice on how to eat enough veggies and fruits to meet my goal of 1530 calories a day?

I eat 4 times a day, 3 main meals and a snack, but even with a protein shake supplement, I still come in at around 1100 most days. Today I was nauseous and queasy so I ate even less. (I think my total was like 736 total calories.) So far I have lost 10 pounds in 18 days, and that's encouraging me to continue to limit my carbs, but I don't want to be unhealthy by not taking enough in. I work out daily to Turbo Jam (20-40 mins of kickboxing) and use weights to tone up as well. I am worried about my metabolism slowing down, because I don't have enough calories coming in. Everyone says to limit your carbs, but I feel like that is one of my major calorie sources. Also, for whatever reason I am not as hungry as I once was... if that makes sense. I think actually documenting EVERYTHING that I put in my mouth has made me more aware and I feel like "Yeah, ok. You've had enough already." If anyone else in here is Vegan, or can relate I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. In fact it is required for health.

ETA: It also calorically dense, packing more calories in a smaller package. Which may help with low intake.
  • BrownSuga245
    BrownSuga245 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ps. My ticker only shows 5 lbs lost cuz I gained 5 this summer and I just lost that, and an additional 5 lbs from my base weight. Just fyi. If anyone knows how to fix it so it will show all that I've lost since restarting mfp that would be great! thanks!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. In fact it is required for health.

ETA: It also calorically dense, packing more calories in a smaller package. Which may help with low intake.

This. Fat is very important, plus a great way to bump up your calories :)
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, but don't seem to have that problem to the extent that you do lol. On gym/workout days I sometimes find it difficult to meet my protein goal and get a reasonable net cal number because I find that vigorous workouts kill my appetite and eating for the rest of the day becomes a chore. But most days I will eat anywhere from right up to goal to about 500 under. Right now I'm working on getting in more whole protein sources like beans, tofu and tempeh, etc because I've been relying too much on the sodium-loaded processed soy chik'ns and stuff like that.

Try throwing a banana and maybe a tsp or so of unrefined extra virgin coconut oil into your protein shake. Maybe try adding avocado, tempeh (calorie and protein dense), nuts, nut butters, quinoa, no-sugar added dried fruit/trailmix for snacks? I know you said you're watching carbs, but those are all pretty calorie and nutrient dense, that way you can eat less in volume when you're not hungry but still hit your macros.

Feel free to add me and take a peek at my diary for some ideas, although I don't know how helpful it will be for you since like I said, I seem to have the opposite problem most times, haha...
  • BrownSuga245
    Options
    I didn't say that I don't eat fat. I "avoid" eating vegan transitional foods like Earth Balance butter and most soy cheeses. If I eat an avocado or have walnuts, I am aware that those items are more dense in calories so I will have a lot less. I'm human, so my diet isn't perfect. I'm looking for support. Thank you.
  • BrownSuga245
    Options
    I'm vegan, but don't seem to have that problem to the extent that you do lol. On gym/workout days I sometimes find it difficult to meet my protein goal and get a reasonable net cal number because I find that vigorous workouts kill my appetite and eating for the rest of the day becomes a chore. But most days I will eat anywhere from right up to goal to about 500 under. Right now I'm working on getting in more whole protein sources like beans, tofu and tempeh, etc because I've been relying too much on the sodium-loaded processed soy chik'ns and stuff like that.

Try throwing a banana and maybe a tsp or so of unrefined extra virgin coconut oil into your protein shake. Maybe try adding avocado, tempeh (calorie and protein dense), nuts, nut butters, quinoa, no-sugar added dried fruit/trailmix for snacks? I know you said you're watching carbs, but those are all pretty calorie and nutrient dense, that way you can eat less in volume when you're not hungry but still hit your macros.

Feel free to add me and take a peek at my diary for some ideas, although I don't know how helpful it will be for you since like I said, I seem to have the opposite problem most times, haha...

Thanks so much for you're reply! That's just the advice I was looking for! :) I feel silly for not thinking of bumping up my protein shake. duh! And I guess I'll be honest and admit that I KNOW I struggle to meet my protein goals daily. I appreciate it and I'll add you.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am a Vegan and I am struggling to meet my calorie goals. Before I started fitness and nutrition journaling I used to eat anything and everything that was considered to be Vegan. Now that I know better, I am steering clear of oils, fats, and processed foods as much as possible. As a result, I am eating a cleaner and leaner diet. Now I struggle daily to eat enough calories that are recommended (at least thru this site) as a suggested daily intake. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, Do you have any advice on how to eat enough veggies and fruits to meet my goal of 1530 calories a day?

You stated you were avoiding fats & asked for suggestions on how to get more calories in. You clearly are looking for only particular answrs and anything else will be called unsupportie or rude. Good luck.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I didn't say that I don't eat fat. I "avoid" eating vegan transitional foods like Earth Balance butter and most soy cheeses. If I eat an avocado or have walnuts, I am aware that those items are more dense in calories so I will have a lot less. I'm human, so my diet isn't perfect. I'm looking for support. Thank you.

You are aware they are more dense and eat less of them, but are having trouble meeting your calorie goal :huh:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    OP just Google calorie/nutrient dense foods, and the blender is your friend...if you have a protein shake, throw some seeds,berries,bananas etc in there as well.

Basically if you can't hit your goals it is most probably a mental thing as there are an endless supply of calorie dense vegan options.
  • kayas39
    Options
    I'm a vegan as well and i can honestly say i have no problem getting calories in. I guess that's why I'm here :). Bananas,durian, and nuts are calorie dense. Do not fear carbs. Carb it up in fact. Carbs are a great source of energy. If you have the chance i suggest you read 80/10/10 by Dr. Douglass Grant. I eat two raw mono fruit meals and one cooked vegan whole food meal. I get my calories in and i have plenty of energy. I have an auto immune disease that leaves me tired, but since adding the mono fruit meals i feel like im sixteen again.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Hitting even my minimum calories without stepping outside of vegan into vegetarian is hard for me, too. I really don't want to include butters, cheese and other dairy, but on occasion when I find myself incredibly low in numbers (400-500 range), I'll have cottage cheese. And eating low carb on a vegan diet? If you can find out how, let me know! A vegan diet is just naturally low in fat unless you incorporate lots of nuts, seeds and avocados - which gets boring.

After I transitioned, I started losing weight pretty quickly. It wasn't until afterward when I found MFP and started tracking what I ate that I got all uptight about not hitting my calories. After a month of stressing over it, I figured the heck with it. I track it, but I don't care if it makes MFP happy. I eat A LOT, you know how much food a vegan can eat and still be at 1000 calories. If my metabolism adjusts accordingly to be more efficient, awesome. That's how it was meant to be.
  • Ophidion
    Options

You are aware they are more dense and eat less of them, but are having trouble meeting your calorie goal :huh:
    QFT^ You can see where you are sabotaging yourself OP?
  • Ophidion
    Options
    Hitting even my minimum calories without stepping outside of vegan into vegetarian is hard for me, too. I really don't want to include butters, cheese and other dairy, but on occasion when I find myself incredibly low in numbers (400-500 range), I'll have cottage cheese. And eating low carb on a vegan diet? If you can find out how, let me know! A vegan diet is just naturally low in fat unless you incorporate lots of nuts, seeds and avocados - which gets boring.

After I transitioned, I started losing weight pretty quickly. It wasn't until afterward when I found MFP and started tracking what I ate that I got all uptight about not hitting my calories. After a month of stressing over it, I figured the heck with it. I track it, but I don't care if it makes MFP happy. I eat A LOT, you know how much food a vegan can eat and still be at 1000 calories. If my metabolism adjusts accordingly to be more efficient, awesome. That's how it was meant to be.
    Would be extremely hesitant to accept advice from someone with such dangerously low numbers
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Oil is vegan. Cook with it.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm a raw vegan. I don't cook food.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

That's nice...but the advice is for the OP
  • BrownSuga245
    Options
    I will definitely check out that book and see if that helps. Thank you.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    Hemp oil and flaxseed oil you don't have to cook with. Also calorie goals you mentioned are unhealthy unless you are 2 feet tall.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

So, you resort to dairy, but not cooking food? Got it.

Raw olive oil on salad.....