Do you have an age range that you consider old

Options

Replies

• Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    60 is now old? WHAT
    My Da is 60 years old and is competing in a triathlon next weekend, goes to the gym 4-5 days a week, hikes, skis and generally kicks butt.

Also there is a 75 year old power-lifting coach at my gym who works out every day, lifts more than me and that is after having two strokes.

I respect the hell out of these two men and would never think of them as old, i think of them for what they can do, the knowledge they can offer me, and how much i enjoy their company.
  • HarrietSmeltzer1
    HarrietSmeltzer1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am oldam 70 still work three days a week. Guess who takes off the most . The young people. Maybe you should be asking what do you consider young. ff the youngsters call off they call me. If it shows I go in when they call off. They act old. I live life. So I am old at 70 they act old at 25. Hire older workers if you want someone reliable. Oh and we had an older employee who slipped on ice she said nothing the young one that fell has one has workman's comp.:love::drinker:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    You know, it keeps changing …

When I was 10 and my mom about 40, I though 50 must be pretty old.
    When I was 20, I thought 70 was getting old. 60 was "kind of " old, depending on how healthy one was.

Now, I'm starting to stare down 40 --I have a few years still, but it seems to be looming- and I look at my mom (65) and my mother in law (almost 70) and think that none of those ages seem nearly as old as they used to. Sure, some 70 year olds seem old, but some people in their 80s still seem young and spry :laugh:

I think it's mostly about perspective! I bet the guy who made the comment (to the OP) was still pretty young; although I know that there are increased risks of slip-and-falls and of breaking a hip and falling as people get to a certain age, it's still really more about health than the number, right? :wink:
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Age is just a number, I am 39 but I feel 29.
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person really. Some people hit 50 and start acting old. Others will stay young till the day they pass. My great grandma was still riding on the back of motorcycles at 98, she partied hard till her time came. My grandpa was still out in the yard cutting trees down when he was 87. :) It is all in how you live life. Young at heart is what counts.

Edit to answer the question. No, I don't have an age range that I consider old. :)
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    Old is merely a mental state of mind.

I agree with this as I will be 43 this year and my hubby turns 52 in october
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it keeps moving as I get older.
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Anyone that's old enough to be my parent is to old for me lol... N I don't have daddy issues so I sure don't need to date someone old enough to be my daddy
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Not at all, age has nothing to do with it. One of the youngest spirits I ever knew was 60years my senior, his age meant nothing. He was my dad's dear friend (30yrs difference) as much as he was mine, rode his Harley til the end, and laughed/loved better than anyone. I think someone becomes old once they think it of themselves, once it becomes an 'us and them' mindset. Generation gaps don't...exist in the same way if people are willing to dip their toes in to whatever's on the other side a little. I am 22, and have genuine friends my mum's age. I'm friends with my almost-50 Ma, too. The biggest thing about getting older for me is you realise everyone's still learning their own bits of life, because we all get 'lessons' and wisdom from different experiences at different times. Some adults are always immature, some children seem like old souls.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    100 is old!
    As far as dating, i'm married but if I were single I wouldn't date anyone more than 15 years older than me (I'm 25) not because I view them as "old" but because I think the age gap would be too large. I could be wrong though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As Groucho Marx said - "You are only as old as the woman you feel."

Dammit. That doesn't work as my wife is 53 as well......
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I really don't. I jokingly will use the phrase "old people" when I am talking about people over 70 usually. In my head people aren't "old people" until they walk kinda unsteadily and slow and are freaking cute and do things like push a grocery cart together as a couple.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Old is merely a mental state of mind.
    tell it to my hips and knees. I'm 53. and I'm probably a broken hip waiting to happen. I'm not the best house keeper and I keep telling myself to pick stuff (likes shoes) up off the floor and put them where they belong..I'm at 'that age.' I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go down and it's gonna be ugly. I also have 2 friends my age who have already had both hips replaced. age is a state of joints.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    we had a patient in her 70's come in the other day for her yearly physical and we literally only see her once a year! no meds, no health problems, slim, trim and fit! (& no shuffle!) I told her I want to be just like her when I "grow up"! on the other hand we have patients of all ages who act like they are going to die if they get a hang nail! it's all attitude!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    My definition of "old" definitely changes as I get older.

I have sisters who are identical twins and they're 71 years old. The other day I realized I considered one of them older than the other just because of their attitude, way of life, etc. The one I think of as younger - she's the one that I'm going to Africa with next summer.

I'll be 57 in a few months. Physically some days I feel it - getting old is definitely not for sissies!
    But mentally I'm definitely not my age.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was old when I was 25. Now that I'm 60 and in kick-*kitten* shape, I feel much younger. Seriously, a lot of it is genetic, but if I'd known I would feel this good by getting into shape, I'd have done it a long time ago.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    For the person who said over 30, check back when you are 31!:smile:
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Old in reference to age is not a bad word. I personally don't feel there is anything wrong with being old and with acknowledging old as a state of being. To me Old begins at 60, Elderly begins at 80.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Not at all, age has nothing to do with it. One of the youngest spirits I ever knew was 60years my senior, his age meant nothing. He was my dad's dear friend (30yrs difference) as much as he was mine, rode his Harley til the end, and laughed/loved better than anyone. I think someone becomes old once they think it of themselves, once it becomes an 'us and them' mindset. Generation gaps don't...exist in the same way if people are willing to dip their toes in to whatever's on the other side a little. I am 22, and have genuine friends my mum's age. I'm friends with my almost-50 Ma, too. The biggest thing about getting older for me is you realise everyone's still learning their own bits of life, because we all get 'lessons' and wisdom from different experiences at different times. Some adults are always immature, some children seem like old souls.

this is stated perfectly.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    At this point in my life, I consider 65 to be getting old. For some it is the age of retirement and living the free life after paying your dues...

That will probably change as I get older (i'm 24), but I don't consider my 50 year old mom old. And I hope when I'm 60 I'm still running around being awesome.