How do you gain weight after urinating?

I don't get it. I weighed myself this morning and was at 216.2 or 216.4. I went to urinate right after I got off the scale. I weighed myself afterwards, and was 216.8. About an hr later, I weighed myself (just out of curiosity. I swear I'm not obsessed). I weighed 215.6. I lost a pound just by browsing MFP. Went to urinate again and weighed 215.8. Can someone explain this? Is it something as minor as me not being on the scale correctly? Is the diff so small that I shouldn't mind?

Replies

• lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    You weighed yourself 4 times in a few hours...:huh: Joking aside, our weight fluctuates throughout the day and a change like that is nothing. If you must weigh yourself, first thing in the morning after you use the bathroom is best. It won't make you look any thinner or fatter. Seriously, put the scale away.
  • It's probably just your scale. I weigh myself daily and would have problems with this. I used to weigh myself multiple times until I got the same result. Then I bought another scale. Then I found in the forums that some scales have a "memory" so that it will show the same result in a short period if within a certain tolerance. Tested this by holding a heavy item while weighing myself and then weighing myself a third without it and this seems to be the case. So, I don't know what the solution is, but thought I'd let you know you're not the only one.

I've decided that I'm going to just go with the new one even though I know it fluctuates like the old one did, just doesn't tell me that it does.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    That happens to me all the time.

I wouldn't sweat it. The scale is not absolute and it can happen. Shove that thing in the closet or something and take it out once a week :laugh: :laugh: :wink: :blushing:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    It has to be the scale. Maybe you're standing on it just slightly differently, or the scale just isn't that pin-point accurate. I had one scale that was all over the place - I could get on it once, weigh myself, then step off & get back on again (just to double-check the results) and it would be off by .2 or .4 or even .6.
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Scales can give a precise-looking figure - but they are not really precision instruments.

If you get on and off the scales several times in a row, you will normally record different weights on the scale (despite of course your weight not actually changing). This is normal. It could be linked to where you stand on the scales or how quickly/slowly you let them take up your weight etc. etc.

It's a bit like trying to measure a distance with a slightly stretchy tape measure. You will be able to pick up largish differences but not small ones.
  • I get this... I get up, pee, strip, and weigh, usually hopping on and off the scale 2 or 3 times just to be sure. Then I try to stay off the scale the rest of the day, but I often fail and hop on. My weight fluctuates sometimes as much as 3 pounds up or 2 pounds down during the day. I have decided that my real true weight is the first one, and I ignore all the rest.

Yes, I know I need to put the scale down and walk away, BUT! I have to weigh myself every day because I get imaginary fatter* if I do not.

*Imaginary fatter is when you are eating well and hitting your work out targets, but you begin to suspect your body is secretly getting fatter via clever and vicious means behind your back. You look fatter to yourself every time you see yourself. You can't remember if those jeans were loose or tight before, or when you washed them. Imaginary Fatter is a common mental illness among American Women, and weighing once a day inoculates against it. <----True Medical Science, ya'll.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    It sounds like you are using a digital scale... If so, I would suggest getting a mechanical dial scale. I know it sounds crazy but most digital scales are not as accurate as you may think. I have had a few different digitals and I have yet to find one that is dead on. I've weighed and stepped off the scale then step back on and get 2 totally different readings. In my opinion even the expensive ones after a while just aren't as accurate as a dial scale.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    This happens to me the day after I eat cauliflower fries. So weird lol
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Agree with the above comments. AND it goes to show one shouldn't get all worked up about little changes on the scale.

Next you should try browsing MFP for 24 hours straight without peeing. You'll be at goal in no time! :)

ETA: my scale (weight watchers brand) actually has a built in feature where it will give you the same weight if you step on and off within a given time frame, probably to avoid having people suspect its isn't accurate...
  • I totally understand the weighing yourself four times in an hour. I used to be so obsessive about the number that I took my earrings and hair tie off so I weighed less lol
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Don't weigh yourself that frequently-- you'll drive yourself nuts! Once a day at MOST. I sometimes go several weeks without weighing. I mean, I know my calorie goal is right and I'm fairly consistent in meeting it, so I can trust that my body is doing what I want it to in that regard. Looking at the scale more frequently doesn't change the results any.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Was the towel rack in the way? Seriously if I weigh myself frequently like that it is only to check my water intake (My scale's got it like that).

scale-300x200.jpg
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    I weigh more after pooping. Go figure.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    You now know your scale has a variability.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    You weighed yourself 4 times in a few hours...:huh: Joking aside, our weight fluctuates throughout the day and a change like that is nothing. If you must weigh yourself, first thing in the morning after you use the bathroom is best. It won't make you look any thinner or fatter. Seriously, put the scale away.

No, seriously, I swear that I don't weigh myself that often. :laugh: The only reason I weighed myself the second time is because I was going to update my MFP stats, which I haven't done in wks and I wanted it to be accurate. Can't be obsessed if I haven't updated in wks, right? In fact, it was intentional. I wanted to see how much I weighed before and after urinating. I weighed the other times bc I thought that it was odd that my weight changed after urinating. So, I was investigating. :laugh: And, yes, I will own up to being obsessed with knowing the numbers for the craziest things, like how many seconds it takes me to run a tenth of a mile. Really bad habit, but I'm not like that w weighing myself.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member

No, seriously, I swear that I don't weigh myself that often. :laugh: The only reason I weighed myself the second time is because I was going to update my MFP stats, which I haven't done in wks and I wanted it to be accurate. Can't be obsessed if I haven't updated in wks, right? In fact, it was intentional. I wanted to see how much I weighed before and after urinating. I weighed the other times bc I thought that it was odd that my weight changed after urinating. So, I was investigating. :laugh: And, yes, I will own up to being obsessed with knowing the numbers for the craziest things, like how many seconds it takes me to run a tenth of a mile. Really bad habit, but I'm not like that w weighing myself.

I think that's cool. There's a difference between being obsessed with *what* you weigh and being curious about how things work, like how your weight changes and what affects it. I think the more "investigating" we do, the more we understand, and the less stress we cause ourselves. I weigh every morning because I like to see the daily variance and it's interesting to me what my weight does and what it is affected by. There's no right or wrong way, it's all in the attitude.
  • I only weigh myself once a week on a sunday morning and I do it after I have been to the toilet then I put the scales away. Like everyone says your weight fluctuates all the time so only weigh yourself weekly, fortnightly or monthly
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member

^
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    I am beginning to realize that putting the scale away was one of the best things I could do for myself mentally.

Buuut.. I always hated when people told me to not worry about what the scale says, so I have a feeling most of the advice will fall on deaf ears. Not being snarky, I think we all know that mental state of NEEDING to weigh every day. You have to want to break the cycle.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    The difference of all your weigh-ins today is 1.2lbs, your weight can fluctuate by much more than that over a day, 1.2lbs is negligable (I'd still go with the lower weight though, if the scales say it it must be true :wink: )