Constipation help?

Options

Replies

• LizV32
    LizV32 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I take GNC's Ultra 25 Probiotic Complex, seems to help me!
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Acidophilus.

Fiber gummies.

Stay away from dairy.

Psyllium Husk caps
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    One of the symptoms of low thyroid production is constipation...to combat this, I take 3 magnesium citrate caps every single night at bed time. I get 2 big ole bottles when Vitamin Shoppe has them buy one get one half price. If I don't take them, I don't go - end of story. I have discussed this with my doctor who feels this is absolutely fine and cannot hurt me.

Of course, you need to speak to your own doctor, but this is a cheap and easy remedy to the problem...another benefit of citrate is that it is a very gentle "downer" that tends to help with muscle relaxation...taken at night, it can help relax you for quicker sleeping.

Also, eat more fat.
  • sugafreak
    sugafreak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer dreadfully with IBS, the constipation would be so bad I would have a lot of pain in my side/lower back for days on end. I tried a lot of medication and natural remedies but none worked. I decided 8 weeks ago to give the 5:2 way of eating a go, I won't lie it was to lose weight but happily I have not had a bout of IBS or constipation for 6-7 weeks. That for me is amazing as constipation and pain was becoming a way of life.

Many I know object to 5:2 but it works well for me so I have decided this is going to be a permanent change for me not just a 'diet'. Good luck on finding what works for you.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Cheap Mexican Food.
  • HarrietSmeltzer1
    HarrietSmeltzer1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I take medications that cause constipation. When I was in the hospital they gave me a stool softener every day. They truly do work and nit by flooding things out of you just softly work. Go to CVS and brand they areckess expensive. See if that helps you nay want to take two the first day
  • Arnpobgyn
    Options
    Nothing that steamed okra wont take care of. When things slow down, I replace my evening meal with a couple of cups of okra and the next day, problem resolved! Slippery little buggers take care of everything. Have some okra daily 1/2 cup and it keeps you going and it is healthy for you and very low calorie. I boil it and eat it like a soup water and all. Just add some salt for seasoning.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Flax seed oil, primrose oil, or fish oil, plus lots of water :) good luck - I hope things get moving soon, if not definitely see your doctor.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    first - without getting into too much details, are you actually constipated or are you just going less than previously? second - I would start with speaking to the doctor but a quick glance at your diary shows that you aren't actually eating a lot of cals per day (possibly not eating enough) and you don't have a lot of actual FOOD. there are snacks, apples, protein powder but not a lot of food (chicken, eggs, meat, fish, vegetables, etc).

If i were you - that's where i would start. eat food, and eat more. if your cal goal is 1550 then that's where you should be (or close to it). there are days that - taking the exercise cals into consideration - you barely reach 1000 calories.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    eggs, adequate fiber and water,
    Are you on any other medication?
  • kmccormick42
    kmccormick42 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered Fiber One bars and was really surprised at the effectiveness. The primary ingredient is chickory root.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have the same problem...I have been known to go up to two weeks between bathroom stops! Here's what I use. About 4-6 oz of raw apple juice..blend in 2tbsp of chlorophyll and 2 Tbsp of aloe vera juice (innerleaf fillet) mix with 1 heaping tsp of psyllium husk powder shake well and drink up! Follow with a tall glass of water. It works really well for me and everything can be bought at a healthfood store. It may take a couple days to really get things going, but I find if I keep up on it it keeps me regular.

I can never image not going to the bathroom for up to two weeks. A day or two and I am very uncomfortable. I take 2 tbs of coconut oil in the smoothie along with 16-22 ounces of room temperature water first thing in the morning and 16 ounces last thing at night. This have really helped to the tune of up to twice a day. I have also taken chlorophyll with either water or orange juice (haven't taken it for a while now).
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Nothing that steamed okra wont take care of. When things slow down, I replace my evening meal with a couple of cups of okra and the next day, problem resolved! Slippery little buggers take care of everything. Have some okra daily 1/2 cup and it keeps you going and it is healthy for you and very low calorie. I boil it and eat it like a soup water and all. Just add some salt for seasoning.

I love steamed okra and its is natural.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I have taken up the habit of using colace only on the weekends to make sure I am emptying my bowels at least once a week. I usually go more but it keeps me from feeling bloated and backed up.

I have the issue at times because of my medications, and the use of colace is a safe option for most people. I would talk to your doctor though. Sometimes they'll advise you over the phone.

Sometimes, also, and I know this sounds gross but... Sometimes peristalsis gets stalled and you just have to trigger it to start. Inserting a finger into your rectum could trigger the outward push for your poo.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I have taken up the habit of using colace only on the weekends to make sure I am emptying my bowels at least once a week. I usually go more but it keeps me from feeling bloated and backed up.

I have the issue at times because of my medications, and the use of colace is a safe option for most people. I would talk to your doctor though. Sometimes they'll advise you over the phone.

Sometimes, also, and I know this sounds gross but... Sometimes peristalsis gets stalled and you just have to trigger it to start. Inserting a finger into your rectum could trigger the outward push for your poo.

this route makes alot of sense. No chance of addiction and prevention of complete bowel obstruction
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Eating green veggies keeps me regular. Try eating 1 cup of spinach per day and I am sure that you will see results at least by the next day.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    KIonsyl Fiber...do a teaspoon in the morning and one in the evening. Several doctors have recommended this to me as a daily regimen. Keeps you regular, reduces your cholesteral. Fiber is very good for you especialy if your doing reduced calories and not allot of carbohydrates
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

:noway:
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I can't resist saying: Ex Lax in the PM for a BM in the AM! :laugh:

Seriously though, try a tablespoon of mineral oil.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    sugar free candy