Lose 5 pounds a month AUGUST 2010 CHALLENGE

Options

Replies

• bekylouisex3
    bekylouisex3 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Weighed in yesterday and still no loss :frown: Lost another inch off my hips though :bigsmile: so I'm happy!! At least I'm losing something right?? :laugh:
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone...really appreciate my family here at MFP, don't know how I would get through sometimes.....:heart:
    Off to finish school shopping today, once again should get a great workout in fighting with my 9 y/o son trying on cloths (HA!!!!!!) Going to try a new restaurant today (not new food to me but new restaurant--Japanese steakhouse, a new one opened in Boardman, OH and that's where we are headed shopping today)....anyway have a GREAT day everyone!!!:flowerforyou:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone...really appreciate my family here at MFP, don't know how I would get through sometimes.....:heart:
    Off to finish school shopping today, once again should get a great workout in fighting with my 9 y/o son trying on cloths (HA!!!!!!) Going to try a new restaurant today (not new food to me but new restaurant--Japanese steakhouse, a new one opened in Boardman, OH and that's where we are headed shopping today)....anyway have a GREAT day everyone!!!:flowerforyou:

Have a great day shopping!

Thoughts and prayers are with you and you deal with the loss of your father and all that entails.
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    Weighed in yesterday and still no loss :frown: Lost another inch off my hips though :bigsmile: so I'm happy!! At least I'm losing something right?? :laugh:

That is why it encourage measuring and weighing. That means you are probably losing fat and not muscle....which is what you want to do. Keep up the great work!
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    guys are dumb. I'll save you all from a long rant, but guys are DUMB!

Yes, but we love them anyway.....even though they make us really mad at times. Hope today is better!

Terri
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    I realized when looking back at my post this morning, that I didn't state what my start weight was.

August 2nd weight - 141lb
    August 9th weight - 139 lb
    Total = 2 lb loss :smile:

1149740.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    [/]

Awesome! 2 pounds in 7 days= 8 pound for the month.:drinker:
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    Keeping up my 2 daily workouts and loving it! I have so much more energy and it really helps me de-stress! On my rest day I'm always sitting there depressed now:laugh: I swam this morning, not much, just about 2.5k but it felt so good! Been swimming every morning for the last week and it's just such a lovely way to start the day.:smile:
    Best thing about my new workout schedule is that I am seeing visible results. The scales haven't budged this month, in fact they may have went up a little last week :sad: but I'm not counting it. Great thing is I exercise when I want to (which is all the time now:laugh: ) but when I really really don't want to, I've usually already worked out for the day or It's my rest day. I'm really enjoying myself:heart:

Just feel like I have to give an extra push this week too. No loss last week put me a bit behind so I'm hoping for 1-2lbs this week!
    Hope everyone is doing well! From what I've read you are! :smile:

If I remember correctly when we are working out hard our body holds onto ????? something can't remember the name and it is a heavy something which can cause the weight to go up a bit. It is great that you are seeing results.
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    2lb gone which I am chuffed about and managed a 2 mile road run on yesterday then Zumba today! Might just manage that 10k after all!!!! Cycling to work and back tomorrow then another run on Thursday - cramming it in as I'm away for the weekend and that'll just mean wine & food!!!

Sounds like you are on the right track with training. Running one day and cross training the next. Need you get your body used to running so give yourself a day off between runs to heal. Eventually you should be able to run daily if you want.

LOVE FOOD AND WINE...ESPECIALLY A GOOD RED WINE!
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    For the next few days rather than giving you quotes I want share from a Runner's World magazine article entitled INCREDIBLE WEIGHT LOSS MYTHS EXPOSED. I will share on every day.....I think there are 14 so here we go. Remember this article is geared to runners but can be applicable to everyone.

THE MYTH:
    TO LOSE WEIGHT, CUT CARBS OR FAT

THE TRUTH:
    Most get-thin-fast plans revolve around the idea that restricting your intake of one particular nutrient, usually carbs or fat, is the best way to lose weight. But the results of a 2009 New England Journal of Medicine study suggest otherwise. For two years, participants followed one of four calorie-restricted diets with varying amounts of carbs, protein, and fat. After 24 months, all participants lost about the same amount of weight (just nine pounds). "This study proves that calories are the most important factor for weight loss," says Tara Gidus, R.D., a Florida-based sports dietitian and marathoner. "To lose weight, you need to take in fewer calories than you burn—regardless of what percentage of carbs, protein, or fat you're eating." Gimmicky diets just distract us from this simple truth. Here's how runners can learn to reduce their total caloric intake to kick start weight loss—and still have energy to run their best.

1 FIND YOUR CALORIE BURN
    To estimate the number of calories you use during daily living and exercise, go to nutritiondata.com/tools/caloriesburned. Plug in your sex, age, weight, height, lifestyle (meaning, you're deskbound, or you're always moving at work), and exercise regularity.

2 START SUBTRACTING
    Trim 10 to 15 percent off of that calorie total—but don't cut more than 500 calories per day. "This is conservative compared to most diets, but it's realistic if you want to sustain training," says Gidus. Record what you eat, and tally your calorie intake with the huge database at nutritiondata.com.

3 KEEP UP THE EXERCISE
    A recent study reported that subjects who cut calories or cut calories and exercised lost the same amount of weight. But the diet-and-exercise group improved their aerobic capacity, insulin sensitivity, cholesterol, and blood pressure—without having to go into starvation mode.

4 BE PATIENT
    Gidus says a healthy weight-loss goal for overweight runners is one to two pounds a week. "Trying to drop more than this can eat away at muscle, leave you fatigued when you run, and slow your metabolism, making weight loss more challenging," she says.

Have a healthy day!

Terri
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    For the next few days rather than giving you quotes I want share from a Runner's World magazine article entitled INCREDIBLE WEIGHT LOSS MYTHS EXPOSED. I will share on every day.....I think there are 14 so here we go. Remember this article is geared to runners but can be applicable to everyone.

THE MYTH:
    TO LOSE WEIGHT, CUT CARBS OR FAT

THE TRUTH:
    Most get-thin-fast plans revolve around the idea that restricting your intake of one particular nutrient, usually carbs or fat, is the best way to lose weight. But the results of a 2009 New England Journal of Medicine study suggest otherwise. For two years, participants followed one of four calorie-restricted diets with varying amounts of carbs, protein, and fat. After 24 months, all participants lost about the same amount of weight (just nine pounds). "This study proves that calories are the most important factor for weight loss," says Tara Gidus, R.D., a Florida-based sports dietitian and marathoner. "To lose weight, you need to take in fewer calories than you burn—regardless of what percentage of carbs, protein, or fat you're eating." Gimmicky diets just distract us from this simple truth. Here's how runners can learn to reduce their total caloric intake to kick start weight loss—and still have energy to run their best.

1 FIND YOUR CALORIE BURN
    To estimate the number of calories you use during daily living and exercise, go to nutritiondata.com/tools/caloriesburned. Plug in your sex, age, weight, height, lifestyle (meaning, you're deskbound, or you're always moving at work), and exercise regularity.

2 START SUBTRACTING
    Trim 10 to 15 percent off of that calorie total—but don't cut more than 500 calories per day. "This is conservative compared to most diets, but it's realistic if you want to sustain training," says Gidus. Record what you eat, and tally your calorie intake with the huge database at nutritiondata.com.

3 KEEP UP THE EXERCISE
    A recent study reported that subjects who cut calories or cut calories and exercised lost the same amount of weight. But the diet-and-exercise group improved their aerobic capacity, insulin sensitivity, cholesterol, and blood pressure—without having to go into starvation mode.

4 BE PATIENT
    Gidus says a healthy weight-loss goal for overweight runners is one to two pounds a week. "Trying to drop more than this can eat away at muscle, leave you fatigued when you run, and slow your metabolism, making weight loss more challenging," she says.

Have a healthy day!

Terri
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Terri, interesting article. I too believe in the long run its all about calories (& good quality/healthy food of course). Fad diets are basically creating a calorie defiect by eliminating some food group (Atkins, South Beach, etc) Long term wt loss and maintenace (and sanity!) means eating all food groups in moderation and watching portions, but hey that comment doesn't inspire people to plunk down $$$$$$ to buy a diet program!
    I think if we keep it simple we'd have better, longer lasting results with dieting. Now, if I could just put this in practice I'd be 40 lbs lighter! I love exercise, but its the eating that keeps me from reaching my goal, but I will keep on keeping on and this August challenge will really help. Hope everyone has a GREAT day!
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    Good morning! While I don't TOTALLY disagree with that statement about calories really being what matter I do think that trying to stay in a good glycemic index (which is slightly carb restrictive) is important to those of us with body types that react sensitively to insulin. I've tried LOTS of different diets and yes, I'd lose only to gain and MORE after easing back into regular eating (which was based and centered around carbs!). I never knew about how your body reacts to foods that cause quick insulin jumps until I read a book called A Week In The Zone. This is NOT a trendy diet but based on science. I've slowly learned HOW I can eat and stay feeling good. I don't strictly follow that diet but have found a way I can eat the rest of my life and be happy. I think MOST people would be better off trying to eat a more diabetic friendly diet even if they don't have sugar issues. My insulin levels have always been fine when I've had bloodwork done so it's not that I NEEDED to eat this way. It's just really a more healthy way to eat. Several smaller meals a day with lean protein, fat and healthy carbs in moderation. I go over on my carbs pretty often but only by a little and I try to stay in the 40/30/30 range. It's really pretty easy. That said, I do think the nutritional values you do eat to reach your daily allotment DO matter. They may have all lost about the same amount of weight but I wonder which ones were more healthy for it....:wink:
  • LifeLoveFitness
    Options
    LifeLoveFitness
    CW- 176
  • OnMyWeigh
    OnMyWeigh Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Today is my Baby girl's 7th birthday. Thank God her favorite dinner is Shishkabobs!! I am hoping between dinner and strawberry shortcake I can sill be within my calories for the day. Here's to hoping!!
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    Today is my Baby girl's 7th birthday. Thank God her favorite dinner is Shishkabobs!! I am hoping between dinner and strawberry shortcake I can sill be within my calories for the day. Here's to hoping!!

Yum! Sounds great!
    I know you can do it. You're doing great!
    Have a wonderful birthday day. :happy:
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I'm down 2.4 pounds for the month. So I'm a little ahead for the month since its almost the half way point. I need to stay strong and focused on not just my workouts, but my eating as well. eating has been good so far this week. I hope to keep up this momentum for the rest of the week and into the weekend. I have to concentrate on eating foods that are more filling so I can stay full longer. I still try not to go more than 4 hours without eating something, even if its just a piece of fruit. Drinking more water has helped too. I drink a lot of water when its hotter or when I'm working out. I have learn to drink it no matter the weather.
    Well I'm rambling now, I just wanted to check in to see how everyone was coming along.
  • johnnaboyd
    Options
    I am in
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    August 01: 220.6
    August 11: 219.8 (much better considering I was at 222.0 on Saturday and it was fair week & TOM!)

I need to kick it up - seems like I'm slacking lately compared to what I normally do! :embarassed:

I've been trying to hit 30 lbs lost for almost 2 weeks! Come on! :laugh:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    guys are dumb. I'll save you all from a long rant, but guys are DUMB!

But we love rants!! I hope everything is alright.

Everything is fine, I guess, just had a hard day. My boyfriend is so crazy and he thinks that I am the crazy one! I really wish I could just leave but I can't raise my kids in a box under a bridge someplace so what is a girl to do? After paying daycare and my half of rent I have no money so I know I can't afford to pay rent by myself. He is really like a 3rd kid. But without the cute fun stuff only the mess and frustration!
  • TCASMEY
    Options
    Good morning! While I don't TOTALLY disagree with that statement about calories really being what matter I do think that trying to stay in a good glycemic index (which is slightly carb restrictive) is important to those of us with body types that react sensitively to insulin. I've tried LOTS of different diets and yes, I'd lose only to gain and MORE after easing back into regular eating (which was based and centered around carbs!). I never knew about how your body reacts to foods that cause quick insulin jumps until I read a book called A Week In The Zone. This is NOT a trendy diet but based on science. I've slowly learned HOW I can eat and stay feeling good. I don't strictly follow that diet but have found a way I can eat the rest of my life and be happy. I think MOST people would be better off trying to eat a more diabetic friendly diet even if they don't have sugar issues. My insulin levels have always been fine when I've had bloodwork done so it's not that I NEEDED to eat this way. It's just really a more healthy way to eat. Several smaller meals a day with lean protein, fat and healthy carbs in moderation. I go over on my carbs pretty often but only by a little and I try to stay in the 40/30/30 range. It's really pretty easy. That said, I do think the nutritional values you do eat to reach your daily allotment DO matter. They may have all lost about the same amount of weight but I wonder which ones were more healthy for it....:wink:

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said healthy carbs. Carbs are not bad, we need them for our bodies to run. Even Atkins does not give up carbs completely but stresses healthy carbs....the kinds in vegetables and certain fruits and whole grains.

I am glad you have found a way of eating that you can do the rest of your life. That is what this journey is all about.