Help with low carb diet

Options
Hi everyone!

So I know the debate around low carb diets is a controversial one. However I really would like to properly give it a go as I see so many success stories from people who adopt this eating pattern. I know this type of diet works well for me as a couple of years ago I was doing some volunteer work in Africa for a month and lost a lot of weight. I was eating a lot but the only carbs that was ever served was occasionally some rice with dinner. Breakfast was always eggs and fruit and lunch/dinner was always fish or chicken with veggies and as I said occasionally rice (maybe once a week.) I've tried since to go low carb but I do find I get the craziest carb cravings and actually just end up binging. For example I had a really good 8 days straight under 40g carbs, then on the 9th day literally ate about 6 bowls of porridge, 4 slices of bread, 3 bananas! I just couldn't stop my body was screaming at me to eat carbs. How do you low carb folk stay full? Also I have a major sweet tooth but to avoid eating choclate and candy etc I often get protein bars, or Nakd bars or do "clean baking" using oat flour etc. I'm scared that taking these sort of things out of my diet will make me crave sweet things even more and I'll end up binging. So basically I'm just looking for some tips from anyone out there who has been on a low carb diet for a while and has found success with it.

Replies

• _Z3sty_
    _Z3sty_ Posts: 120
    Options
    Best way to stay full is to eat less calorie dense food such as vegetables instead of that yummy pastry. but also to include a decent amount of protein which is more satiating than carbs.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Your body wanted to replenish it's glycogen storage. Thats why you went on a binge.

There is no reason to go that low.

People normally cut carbs when they are dieting but not to that extent.

for example I will aim for maybe 20-30% of my daily calories from carbs.

I dont go off percentage. I am just saying because I will aim for 100-150g a day. It may seem like alot for a normal person, but I am a bigger guy
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

So I know the debate around low carb diets is a controversial one. However I really would like to properly give it a go as I see so many success stories from people who adopt this eating pattern. I know this type of diet works well for me as a couple of years ago I was doing some volunteer work in Africa for a month and lost a lot of weight. I was eating a lot but the only carbs that was ever served was occasionally some rice with dinner. Breakfast was always eggs and fruit and lunch/dinner was always fish or chicken with veggies and as I said occasionally rice (maybe once a week.) I've tried since to go low carb but I do find I get the craziest carb cravings and actually just end up binging. For example I had a really good 8 days straight under 40g carbs, then on the 9th day literally ate about 6 bowls of porridge, 4 slices of bread, 3 bananas! I just couldn't stop my body was screaming at me to eat carbs. How do you low carb folk stay full? Also I have a major sweet tooth but to avoid eating choclate and candy etc I often get protein bars, or Nakd bars or do "clean baking" using oat flour etc. I'm scared that taking these sort of things out of my diet will make me crave sweet things even more and I'll end up binging. So basically I'm just looking for some tips from anyone out there who has been on a low carb diet for a while and has found success with it.

I'd say listen to your body screaming for the things you are not eating because you want a low carb diet. Your body will tell you what it needs oftentimes.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Why is nobody telling her that eating a low carb diet is completely pointless?

Find your TDEE result. Cut 15-25% of it depending on how much you NEED to lose. Stick to decent macro split of 40/40/20 (carbs, proteins, fats). Exercise with cardio + resistance. Sorted.
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Low-carb diets aren't magical; they won't, in and of themselves, help you lose weight at a faster rate. Unless a doctor specifically tells you that a low-carb diet will be better for your health because of a medical condition, there is not a specific reason to try and force yourself to stick with one.

I'm actually doing a low-carb diet right now, averaging in the mid-30'sg/ day for net carbs, for the last 22 weeks. It's working for me rather well (down 95 lbs as of today). The reason I went with a low-carb diet was because it's an easier way for me to restrict my calories. If i was having trouble, feeling hungry or carb deprived, I'd abandon it in a heartbeat for a different strategy.

In short, don't try to force yourself to maintain a given macro limit; up your carbs to avoid repeat binges, just mind your calories. If it's a general calorie restriction issue, try eating more fiber and protein to reduce hunger pangs. If you try and force yourself onto an eating plan that leaves you craving things that you binge on, you are going to fail, so don't do that because a given plan worked for other people.
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    the quality of your carb intake (simple vs complex) is more important to focus on rather than the quantity
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Upping your fat intake will keep the carb cravings away. Once you get to the point of your body burning off the small amount of carbs you have eaten is starts burning fat for fuel. Your body wants a quick fuel source so it craves carbs. Replace the carbs with fat (Like adding a couple of table spoons of coconut oil to coffee first thing in morning) Don't be afraid of eating foods higher in fat.

I have lost 150 pounds doing LC in 13 months and have kept it off for 14 months now. The biggest turn around point for me was when I did exactly what I mentioned above. Once I learn fat was not the enemy while doing LC it was a lot easier to do and maintain.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
  • DatMurse
    Options
    the quality of your carb intake (simple vs complex) is more important to focus on rather than the quantity

no.
    quantity matters more
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    just being nosey at the replies, sorry.

i personally think low carb would see me locked in a special institution after a while. i love bread. i love fruit. i love oats. i'd be interested to hear if anyone has actually cut out the majority of carbs from their diet and maintained their lower weight and energy.
  • aliciap412
    Options

no.
    quantity matters more

I disagree. I believe if most carb sources are from simple carb sources like table sugar, fruit drinks, soda, and candy, he/she may not feel very good. in contrast, if most carb sources are from complex carb sources like veggies, whole grains, or beans, he/she may have more energy and a better mood and as a result be more likely to succeed.

no problem with disagreeing, but I felt I should clarify for the OP's sake.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

i personally think low carb would see me locked in a special institution after a while. i love bread. i love fruit. i love oats. i'd be interested to hear if anyone has actually cut out the majority of carbs from their diet and maintained their lower weight and energy.

I didn't really find an issue with cutting out bread. I mean, yea, I can't have a sammich, but I don't really mind it much. Plus, if I wanted to, I could look up a recipe for keto bread that is better for me overall. My energy at first was bad because of the shock of not ingesting as many carbs, but I now have more energy.
  • aliciap412
    Options

I didn't really find an issue with cutting out bread. I mean, yea, I can't have a sammich, but I don't really mind it much. Plus, if I wanted to, I could look up a recipe for keto bread that is better for me overall. My energy at first was bad because of the shock of not ingesting as many carbs, but I now have more energy.

could this work?

pDP42jg
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    also look at the cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD) ... it has a "carb up" day every couple weeks I think
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    That's a good idea. Must try that.
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Staying under 40 is why you're tempted to binge. You should really re-introduce carbs back in (slowly) after the intial two weeks of staying around 20-30. After that, you should eat 40-60 for several weeks and then 80-100 for "maintenance". If your weight loss slows at 80-100, scale back until you find your magic number.

I have insulin resistance, so I have to maintain a low-carb/low-sugar diet. I eat around 40-80 carbs per day. Any more than that, and I stop losing. Any less, and I go crazy. ;)

I do miss certain foods, so I have a bite or two (literally - one bite or two) every so often. Any more than that, and the cravings and hunger comes back. If I stick to my plan, I don't feel hungry between meals, and I feel more energetic. Granted, I eat like this for health reasons. People who don't have insulin resistance and actually use carbs for energy properly have to eat more, so be careful that you aren't eating too little and getting tired.
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

keto bread? i must get googling. thank you.
  • chubbybword123
    chubbybword123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Why is nobody telling her that eating a low carb diet is completely pointless?

Find your TDEE result. Cut 15-25% of it depending on how much you NEED to lose. Stick to decent macro split of 40/40/20 (carbs, proteins, fats). Exercise with cardio + resistance. Sorted.

^This.

If you like carbs, eat them. Of course, some people don't go crazy on carbs cos they feel bloated or something, but it's about the amount of calories you eat in the end. I luv me some carbs, I eat complex carbs everyday and whenever I'm in the mood, cakes, potatoes, you name it. Moderation is the key.
  • DatMurse
    Options

no.
    quantity matters more

I disagree. I believe if most carb sources are from simple carb sources like table sugar, fruit drinks, soda, and candy, he/she may not feel very good. in contrast, if most carb sources are from complex carb sources like veggies, whole grains, or beans, he/she may have more energy and a better mood and as a result be more likely to succeed.

no problem with disagreeing, but I felt I should clarify for the OP's sake.
    More energy?

I guess fruits are bad considering that is a simple carb source.
  • aliciap412
    Options

More energy?

I guess fruits are bad considering that is a simple carb source.

I thought fruits were considered complex?

there seems to be conflicting info on this

either way, fruits provide dietary fiber and shouldn't be avoided imo