Cottage Cheese

Options
superspork2
superspork2 Posts: 99 Member
I really like the idea of cottage cheese and its not terrible tasting, just for someone reason I cant just put a little pepper on it and eat it! I got some at the store last week and its just sitting in my fridge so I wanted to know if anyone has some good recipes for it! Thanks!

Replies

• elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I like it mixed with crushed pineapple! Yummy
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Goes well with all fruit, but for savory:

Mix it with garlic powder, olive oil (optional), salt (if low/unsalted), and crushed black pepper. Use as a dip for veggies, I like carrot sticks and bell peppers.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This is properly high-carb, high-everything, but there's a recipe that involves mixing cottage cheese into cooked egg noodles and a load of dried basil, topping it with cheddar cheese, and baking it....
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It's a little different, but I'll mix sriracha and diced cucumber into it.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Melt it on toast in broiler or toaster oven, w cinnamon sprinkled on top. Could also add a few berries.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Also my aunt mixes salsa in it and dips chips in it. I don't like it this way, but different strokes eh?
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    As a dip for baked chips or eat with tomato wedges.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It is also a great omelet filling--drain it first, add whatever spices you like. Could also add some spinach and/or chopped tomatoes, onions.
  • Marthaylo
    Marthaylo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I found a weight watchers recipe for toast with cottage cheese and honey and it is amazing. It's like desert.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but plan to make this at some point:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipe/mini-spinach-cottage-cheese-frittatas
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This may sound gross but I put 1/4 cup into maple brown sugar oats revolution oatmeal (100 calorie pack). You can't taste it and it adds some protein. And it cools down your oatmeal so you can eat it right away! Some strawberries and almonds and its a yummy breakfast!
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Savory Bread Pudding with Goat Cheese
    SUMMARY:

This dish is best assembled the night before.

INGREDIENTS:

- 1 (1-pound) loaf firm white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
    - Cooking spray
    - 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled goat cheese, divided
    - 2 cups fat-free milk
    - 1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
    - 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    - 3 large eggs
    - 3 large egg whites
    - 1/4 cup sliced green onions

METHOD:

1. Arrange bread in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

2. Combine 1/2 cup goat cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg whites) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Pour milk mixture over bread; top with remaining 1/2 cup goat cheese. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

3. Preheat oven to 350°.

4. Remove bread pudding from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Uncover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until set and golden brown. Sprinkle with onions.
    SERVINGS: 6

Has about 215 calories per serving.
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Also, a recipe for cottage cheese pancakes from Smitten Kitchen: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/11/cottage-cheese-pancakes/
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Protein pancakes:

2 egg whites
    Half cup Cottage Cheese
    Half cup Oats
    1 cap of vanilla essence

Blend until smooth, cook like normal pancakes... I like to have mine with honey
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm having it for a snack in just a couple of minutes. I mixed in diced tomato, diced cucumber and scallions with some seasoning.

My kids love it mixed with salsa.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with a sprinkle of pepper and 1-2 TBSP of sunflower seeds..NUMMO, my favorite snack
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite salads is: spinach, grapefruit and avocado topped with cottage cheese blended with a few raisins (I soak them in hot water first) and roasted sesame seeds.

I also like to eat cottage cheese with diced cucumber, tomato and olives, or any other vegetable and pumpkin seed oil.

Great cottage cheese recipes are here, too (great website in general) :
    http://www.stumptuous.com/the-cottage-cheese-page
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Add diced, roasted hatch green chiles, diced roma tomatoes, and ground, roasted garlic. Salt and pepper to taste.
  • superspork2
    superspork2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! These all sounds super awesome! Thank you so much guys, I'm going to have to try all of these. Keep them coming!
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Read in another post on this forum recently: mix with honey and eat with bananas. Damn yummy!