does mfp work??

Options
13»

Replies

• truckerwife12
    truckerwife12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started this and I am excited to make healthy changes! I am more conscience of what I am choosing to eat. Makes you stop and think about what you are wanting to eat because you have to log it. :)
  • Darcie45
    Darcie45 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    MFP works if you're honest with yourself. The very first time you're having a bad day at work and want a double cheeseburger and onion rings with a quarter of a cup of ranch dressing to try and feel a little better but you don't have it because you don't want to put it in your diary is a revelation :)

^^^^^^^
    This!
    It is a tool, if you are honest, it makes you THINK about what you are eating. Today I wanted chocolate so bad, (I was at the grocery store) but I looked at the calories of everything I picked up and went nope, not going to use the calories on that! IT was darn near a meal!

I also like that it tracks your exercise so you know how many calories you are burning.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    What works on MFP is that I log in everything, and so its like writing down a budget, knowing what i can eat, or if i have eaten too much. it helps sort everything out.

its also fun to know that i have 800 calories left in a day and its already 4:00 pm.. i feel like i've hit the jackpot.

MFP is not a diet, because some people say diets dont work. in a way that is true.. if your diet is like a fad diet, or severely restricts you, your old food comes calling you, and what are you going to do then.

so its best to do the 1-2 pounds a week, that MFP allows here, that way its slow and steady and wont be so drastic.

thats what keeps me hanging in there. the thing is - eat the foods your going to eat the rest of your life and find a way how to do that.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you honestly track your food intake and measurements, it will work for you.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That's rather like asking if a screwdriver works. Only if you put in the effort to use it properly. You get great support from people, and are forced to take a good look at what you are putting into your body. The rest is up to you.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't a diet. It's a tool. You do the work, MFP does the math. It works for me because on my own I would just not do the math. So having this math tool handy is helping me to do my work. It also helps me hold myself accountable for my actions, and helps me visualize how my food calories and exercise calories combine when added together (again, this is math that I would not do on my own). It helps me plan my days better and it helps me make wise choices when eating.

But again, the only work that MFP is doing is the math. You are doing all the rest. If you are persistent and honest with yourself, and patient...then yes your work will show you some results. If you sign up and make an account and log your meals for one day and then don't bother coming back...no it won't work.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It works, be good to yourself, make it a life style change and not a temporary diet.