Accepting friend request

I have a question, Would someone please tell me why people accept friend requests when they have no intention of corresponding with the person they accepted? They fill your page up with me, me, me, comments and that's it. Any body else getting this or is it just me?

Replies

• NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Hi there :) I dont know, but i accept friend requests. The advantage is that when you write in a note in your home page, it goes to all your friends, and so you all can check each others comments ,, its like a newsfeed type of thing. I dont answer everyone.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I know what you mean exactly! I don't get it either, and am not into one sided relationships. If they don't interact after a week or two, I delete them. I mean, what's the point if they're just "taking up space?"
  • marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member
    Hi there :) I dont know, but i accept friend requests. The advantage is that when you write in a note in your home page, it goes to all your friends, and so you all can check each others comments ,, its like a newsfeed type of thing. I dont answer everyone.

So you don't feel like you're not there for them. I mean people want friends to support them, not just listen to them talk about what they did or how well they are doing. So, just reading about other people progress helps you? If so, then you don't need friends, all you have to do is read the message board and blogs.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    I don't accept anyone I don't intend to interact with.
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    I have a question, Would someone please tell me why people accept friend requests when they have no intention of corresponding with the person they accepted? They fill your page up with me, me, me, comments and that's it. Any body else getting this or is it just me?

I delete those folks.. Feel free to add me if you want. I log everyday and it bugs me if you don't..
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Meh I'm on the fence. I accept people & interact too, but if they aren't into that then so be it. MFP isn't my real life. If it was my off line friends would probably have disowned me if I even tried to talk about the cal content of 3 chocolates! I have done this before now :sad: People give/get what they want out of it. I have folk on fb that I don't interact with on a weekly or even monthly basis, but I'm not going to delete them because of it.
  • Usually people add me who don't reciprocate any of my friendliness... One of these people just started a new topic "need friends." Err, make time for the ones you have. Gonna delete these folks. :) I need to make time for people too!
  • SpleenlessGal
    SpleenlessGal Posts: 24 Member
    I generally just accept someone if I feel they will be good at motivating me and vice versa. When I've been on MFP before (I created a new account recently), I loved having friends from other countries. Seeing what people were eating, and also being able to cheer them on when they lost weight or did some cardio was fun. I felt when people commented on my status that it gave me that extra push to work hard. Thinking "Okay, they are seeing my diary, so I better make it look awesome by eating really well and exercising!". I mean obviously my choices were based on what I WANTED, but it definitely helped to think "Oh crap, people are going to see that I'm eating that Mars bar or that bag of chips, maybe I should just avoid it instead".

Love having friends. At the moment I do not have many. :(
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member

So you don't feel like you're not there for them. I mean people want friends to support them, not just listen to them talk about what they did or how well they are doing. So, just reading about other people progress helps you? If so, then you don't need friends, all you have to do is read the message board and blogs.

Well, i just dont make a big deal out of it, whether or not anyone sends me a message.. Frankly, Im a bit tired after a day of working on the computer, and I just dont have it in me to socialize much. I sometimes dont have anything meaningful to say to anyone. If I felt that I could say something, then i write it, otherwise, i dont worry about it. I have 2 kitties that I just adopted and they are taking a lot of time.. one of them came down with pink eye and then the other one caught it,, so i was at the vet a lot. i dont have a lot of energy either really.. sometimes its all i can do just to read stuff what others write, and mark down my food i ate in the MFP diary.

So do you feel that I should be more involved with people here that are on my friends list? Do you feel I am missing out on something that I need to get more involved than I have been? Pls let me know :)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    I accept everyone who sends a serious request. I'm at a point right now where I'm not as active on the "pal" side, but I also have my MFP set to only update on my exercise, so I'm not cluttering up feeds either. I accept because presumably I will get better once again at the pal side and have no real reason to reject a request.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    I accept everyone but I don't usually look at other people's diaries or respond to exercise posts. I look at every one of my friends personal posts, though, and respond with encouragement or (more often) smart *kitten* and sarcastic comments. I often miss my profile posts for a week or more and then I feel bad.
  • marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member

Well, i just dont make a big deal out of it, whether or not anyone sends me a message.. Frankly, Im a bit tired after a day of working on the computer, and I just dont have it in me to socialize much. I sometimes dont have anything meaningful to say to anyone. If I felt that I could say something, then i write it, otherwise, i dont worry about it. I have 2 kitties that I just adopted and they are taking a lot of time.. one of them came down with pink eye and then the other one caught it,, so i was at the vet a lot. i dont have a lot of energy either really.. sometimes its all i can do just to read stuff what others write, and mark down my food i ate in the MFP diary.

So do you feel that I should be more involved with people here that are on my friends list? Do you feel I am missing out on something that I need to get more involved than I have been? Pls let me know :)

I think that is a question you should be asking your friends.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    I think that everyone is looking for something different out of this site/friends. Personally I will read the person's profile first to see if we have anything in common and if we do or I like something that they have said I will accept. I don't expect my friends to be totally focused on me but random comments of support/encouragement are important. If I discover that someone isn't ever commenting or I don't like how they present themselves on my newsfeed I will delete them. I also delete people after a month of inactivity. I have also built some pretty good/personal relationships with a handful of my friends and that has been a bonus!!

Decide how you want to use the site and choose your friends based on that. Accept and delete as you see fit to meet your needs.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member

I totally get what you are saying. Some people are very me oriented. Friend me and I will be happy to give MUTUAL support! :happy:
  • RuleFive
    RuleFive Posts: 880 Member
    I don't like to interact with others. At all.
  • charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    I think the key is finding the people that you like and fit in with. I do not write each day. I do not write to everyone. I do connect more with others than with some. You can choose who you friend and then if it does not work hit delete! seems simple
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    It's like Facebook - everyone uses it differently. There are no guidelines. And just like FB, if you don't like reading all their updates, you can hide them or delete them.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    I hate everyone.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Hmmm.... I only send friend requests to people I have an intention of interacting with because for example I liked their forum posts or we have things in common. I usually send a friendly message saying why I'd like to be friends.

However, I get friend requests from people with no message whatsoever... So I give them the benefit of the doubt, but then they still don't interact? What was the point of that friendship request?? Did they just want to see my diary or something??

Anyway, every so often I go through my list and delete anyone who doesn't interact or doesn't log in... unless it's someone I've grown truly quite fond of in which case I'll send them a message to see what's up.
  • I accept everyone apart from those who message me with "I like to get flirty hope you dont mind" or "hey beautiful"

I make an effort every day to read the newsfeed and comment on peoples achievements or answer their questions however I dont have the time to go through and delete people that I dont talk to