Avacados

Options
I LOVE Avacados. I could peel and eat two a day. BUT, my goodness, they are HIGH in calories and fat. BUT, they do have tons of potassium. Even if I were to eat say 1/2 of one a day, that's a lot of calories I'm "wasting", and I don't think its worth it. Should I just have say a 1/4 of one a day, which is like 70 calories for just a sliver, but roughly 190 g of potassium? Aren't avacados a good source of healthy fat? I dont know...HELP!

Replies

• UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    AVOCADOS are a good source of healthy fats.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I eat them all the time, they are a good fat :-) I think I make really good food choices so a good fat like avocado I will keep in my diet.
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yummy Yummy Avo. Avocados are not BAD food and can be worked into your eating plan I think half an avocado is a good trade for a piece of toast.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was raised on an avocado ranch and absolutely love them. I don't like bananas at all, which most people use for potassium intake. My Dr. freaked when I said I eat an avocado daily and said I should keep it to 1 or 2 a week, but even though I am heavy I have always had superb cholesterol (thanks avocados). The fats in avocados are healthy. I still eat several a week, but tend to use them now more as fat substitutes, like using them for butter, or instead of mayo in egg salad. (Mmm, green egg salad). In the end though, as long as you are record your food properly, and you have the calories, keep yourself happy and continue to eat healthy.
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    if I could down a whole avocado everyday without tiring of them, I would.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My wife and I split an avocado every day. She weighs 110 and I weigh 170 and I ate them on the way to losing 40+ pounds.

I even eat the seeds. I grind them and put it in smoothies because the pit is mildly bitter. They're nutritious too.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Avocados are literally the MOST nutritious fruit!! So their calories are probably worth it! If you wanna fit it in, fit it in !!? The fat should keep you full tooo...
  • chris2267
    chris2267 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a whole avocado 3x a week. My fat intake is usually 40-60% of calories a day. That and lots of protein keeps my cravings at bay and I find that I can skip a meal every 2-3 days.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My lunch during the work week is a protein shake and an avocado. :smile:
  • aliciap412
    Options
    My wife and I split an avocado every day. She weighs 110 and I weigh 170 and I ate them on the way to losing 40+ pounds.

I even eat the seeds. I grind them and put it in smoothies because the pit is mildly bitter. They're nutritious too.

you can eat the seed?! news to me
  • SpleenlessGal
    SpleenlessGal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    An avocado is not THAT high in calories. I mean, even with 1200 calories to work with in a day, an avocado can easily be worked in to your diet. I just find that I can't use a whole avocado in one meal, because in a salad or wrap, it just kind of takes it over if you use the whole one. Half seems to be a good balance with the other flavours. Then I use the other half later on that day for something else.

I find I'm not really able to store half of an avocado very well when I want to save it for the next day though. :(
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I use about 1/4 to 1/3 of an avocado daily in my dinner salad. I've had good luck putting the empty peel back over the cut portion of the avocado and storing in a small ziplock baggie in the refrig. Keeps decently until I get it used up.
  • nidiaclarke
    Options
    I eat one half for lunch and the other for dinner. :)
  • aliciap412
    Options

I find I'm not really able to store half of an avocado very well when I want to save it for the next day though. :(

try wrapping it very tightly in plastic wrap before putting it in the fridge
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    They're fantastic things. A sliver is OK if you're having it with something - I quite like them on Ryvita crackers with low-fat cream cheese; my stepmama puts them in all her green salads - but I think it's also fine to eat a whole one if that's your meal. MFP logs them as 250 calories in a medium avocado, which is about right for a meal for me. (Mom scared me off them my whole life, saying they're a thousand calories each - I was so happy to find out she's wrong!) I have them for lunch several times a week. I'd probably eat them more often, but they're not cheap and I have no car so I have to lug the darn things on the bus twice a week. They're heavy, LOL.

They do have a lot of fat, but you need fat. Most of the sources I've checked out recently say anything less than 27g daily (for an average person) is considered a deficiency, and I was horrified to find out recently that I do, in fact, suffer from a deficiency in dietary fats, despite my weight. (Symptoms of a diet that's too low in fat can include poor temperature regulation, skin that's dry and flaky or painful and chapped, blood that doesn't clot properly, malfunctioning nerves that lead to poor muscle control, depression, brittle bones, brain fog, fatigue, poor night vision, irregular or heavy periods, muscle pain, increased bruising...ALL of which I've suffered from in the last year and was astonished when my doctor said they can all be caused by fat deficiency. He made me eat nuts and avocados, and almost all those problems have lessened or gone away over the last few months.)

So yeah, you need fats, and it's much better to get them from something like nuts or avocados than from fast food or something.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado almost daily. 1/4-1/2 of a small hass in my lunch salad. I don't use dressing, so I can fit in the calories easily.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Don't stress over the calories of an avocado. They're great for you. If I wasn't poor I might eat more than one per day.
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

try wrapping it very tightly in plastic wrap before putting it in the fridge

I do this after covering it with a bit of lemon juice.

Sometimes if I have half of one in the evening, I pour a little lemon juice on it, throw it in a sandwich bag, and freeze it. Great for smoothies!
  • spirit2nd
    spirit2nd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Rub lemon, lime or any acidic juice over the cut areas to prevent them turning dark during storage.
  • aliciap412
    Options
    awesome! I'll try putting a little lemon or lime on them next time. thanks you two