Avacados

Options
2»

Replies

• diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    avocado is a good food. Yes it is high in calories mostly because of its fat contents. But it full of GOOD fat,fiber, vitamines and as you say POTASSIUM (i did not know that before-thanks for the info). And it does wonder for your face skin.

i used to eat an avocado a day EVERYDAY because i do like the smooth/creamy texture and the taste. Now i eat it 2-3 times a week especially on days where i do workout.

As others ppers said earlier,use avocado as a spread insted of butter on sandwich or mayonnaise. You will not regret put it in your foodd iary.It is worth it.
  • ihateyoga
    Options
    I LOVE avocados, too. I put it in my salad. Recipe: one tomato; 1/2 avocado; 1/2 corn; 1/4 cup of cilantro; lemon wedge; salt; paper. That's my lunch! high nitration, low fat, and the most importantly, delicious!
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    ***To keep avocado fresh***

ONLY cut with plastic knife. Store WITH the seed, and cover with the skin of the other portion you ate. Wrap tightly in plastic. :drinker:
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    ***To keep avocado fresh***

ONLY cut with plastic knife. Store WITH the seed, and cover with the skin of the other portion you ate. Wrap tightly in plastic. :drinker:

just imagine if I do this and sprinkle lemon on it. woo! freshest leftover avocado in all of the land hehe :happy:
  • SpleenlessGal
    SpleenlessGal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Rub lemon, lime or any acidic juice over the cut areas to prevent them turning dark during storage.

I actually do this each time, it usually doesn't work very well for me though.
    I'll try the avocado peel thing though... anything to try to save my other half!
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I think I am going to go with having a whole one, 3 times a week. It's pretty much what I have been doing, but the calorie count was making me nervous.

I love to mix it with canned tuna and stuff it into a whole wheat pita. Sooo good and filling! Tonight I had a quarter left over from dividing one over my meals today, added it to 2 cups of fresh spinach and a steamed catfish fillet, a sprinkle of parmasean chese, and fat free honey dijon dressing. Gotta say, it was one of my best meals this week!! And, I am still soooo full.
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Rub lemon, lime or any acidic juice over the cut areas to prevent them turning dark during storage.

I actually do this each time, it usually doesn't work very well for me though.
    I'll try the avocado peel thing though... anything to try to save my other half!

I dont use lemon juice or plastic wrap, I just leave the seed in and cover with the skin from the half I just ate. Works fine :)
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think a spoon is the best way to deal with any extra avocado. call me I'll take care of it for you.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    left over avocado? This is a foreign concept! (which may in part explain my presence here)
    I put them in protein smoothies, sometimes I add a bit of cocoa...
    mmmm yum
  • desertSNOUT
    Options
    I have been eating one a day just fine, it is basically breakfast.
  • gymjunkie250
    Options
    invest in an 'Avo Saver'! its a plastic contraption thats available in most kitchen stores. I can put half an avacado aside for at least 3 days :happy:
  • samsgirl25
    Options
    Hi Islandgirl,

I am a dietitian and for clients wanting to lose weight I advise no more than 1/4 avocado a day. They are a good source of fat yes, but good fats can be found in a variety of foods.

Hope that helps.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I think I am going to go with having a whole one, 3 times a week. It's pretty much what I have been doing, but the calorie count was making me nervous.

I love to mix it with canned tuna and stuff it into a whole wheat pita. Sooo good and filling! Tonight I had a quarter left over from dividing one over my meals today, added it to 2 cups of fresh spinach and a steamed catfish fillet, a sprinkle of parmasean chese, and fat free honey dijon dressing. Gotta say, it was one of my best meals this week!! And, I am still soooo full.

Last nite for dinner I cut a small avocado in half, stuffed it with some shredded spicy chicken (it was cooked/leftover), topped with a little grated Mexican cheese mix & baked in toaster oven for 15 minutes. Very filling & yummy!

Here's the nutritional info (the potassium is a little higher because I added a little Morton's Lite Salt to keep up my potassium)

418 calories
    18 carbs - 14 fiber = 4 net carbs
    44 fat
    33 protein
    1,253 potassium (975 in avocado only per MFP)
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the info and input!
  • SpleenlessGal
    SpleenlessGal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been eating one a day just fine, it is basically breakfast.

Using it as a spread on toast, it is a heavenly breakfast. OMG.
    I need to start doing that again...
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Realistically, how much potassium do you need? There is a world of other nutrients out there. I love avocados too. Fortunately I split one with my husband over the course of two days.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I love avocados and definitely will not cut them out of my diet. I usually eat 1/2 of one at a time, sometimes a whole one. I do not eat them every day though.