Please!!! I'm getting so fed up

Options
I've been on here a couple of years now and all that's happened is weight gain with now an increase in measurements.. I've been told to do 5x5, use tdee and generally up calories from having spent years doing excess cardio and eating minimal food.

Background, PE Teacher (mixture of being on feet and t desk), lifting heavy, some cardio in spin, intervals, jogging etc. 29 years, 4ft 11 and weight has crept up to 58kg from about 53-54. Waist used to be 27.4 now 29. My diary is open. I use my hrm to track collides burn and generally I know it's around 300 in a typical session.

Recently I've returned from my holiday and am feeling heavier and clearly I know why...from alcohol and all inclusive. Even on normal weeks I'm eating ok, drink at weekend and log but no loss, I even stopped drinking for 5 weeks with no loss or change. I love food and do enjoy treats and wonder surely that giving up a treat that fits into my daily allowance is what I need to do. You can see from my diary how I log and weigh my food.

Just need some support.

Replies

• csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you increase calories? This takes time - I went years with overexercising and too little calorie intake. You will see a gain in weight initially as you get things back on track.

Also, if you just got back from a holiday, you will see an increase but remember it takes 3500 calories EXTRA to produce a pound of fat.
  • Fabfitgirl5
    Fabfitgirl5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have been at this a while as well, I am pretty good with logging. There may have been a week or so where I was not logging but that was because of a medical issue. That is over and I pretty much log all that time. I do have "bad" days where I go over my calorie alotment, but I get back on board in no time.

I understand gaining as I have gained as well, despite running three times a week and playing tennis one time a week. I work out 4 days and I still seem to be going up not down. I know my frame builds muscle but I don't want to use that as an excuse, I want the weight off! I used to be in the 150's so I know I can get back there.

I am trying to focus more on how I look vs. what the scale says, because if I focus on that I will loose my ever loving mind!

Don't give up and don't get frustrated. Our bodies are complex machines and what we sometjimes thing should work does not so we have to keep switching things up to see what works best for us, but you know all of this

Have you thought about cutting back on the weights and maybe doing more cardio running only? Just curious as to whether
    this would have an impact. Lift only once or twice a week for maybe 30 minutes and have most of your program consist of cardio? Since you are a PE teacher, have you thought of getting together with a personal trainer, show them your consistent routine to see if based on your BMI (which I think is bull) and your LBM, what they think might be the best for you to do to loose weight?

These were suggestoins given to me as well. Best of luck and keep going, the weight loss will come.
  • fongjon
    fongjon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Same thing happend to me, got back from Vegas about half a stone heavier! It seriously messes with you, you dont know when to eat or sleep and the food out there is really bad for you!

Anyways, so whern you say 5x5 are you talking weight lifting? I would go lighter and higher reps if you are, keep the heav weights for once a week training - rest/puase training or something.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday, personly I think your looking good for it!
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 5x5 on alternate days, then on days that I don't do that I rest or do cardio. I said about not lifting heavy but so many people keep saying I should continue with it.

I don't look as good and as slim as I used to and I'm disliking my shape and how my stomach is now fatter and also my hips and bum. It's really depressing too that I can't fit into my old clothes.

I've upped calories since 2011 so it's nearly two years. I was seeing a PT who got me doing long cardio and lighter rep training but I really can't afford this now as I've got a mortgage. See the thing is if I'm exercising and eating at some deficit surely I shouldn't be consuming 3500calories to gain fat...even if some days are higher and some lower?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hey Dizzy,
    I looked over your diary...
    Back to 9/10/13

Protein looks decent...I would say try to bump that up some though.
    Carbs might could go up a little.....definitely if you are doing some good daily exercise.

I SEE NO VEGGIES.....green leafy veggies.

I would do weights, and I would lift what you can to hit between 6 - 8 reps.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting I definitely gained and felt bigger for almost two months. I saw no movement on the scale for weeks and not change in my measurements. Then all of a sudden, two months later I dropped 6 lbs in 4 weeks. I eat at a very minimal deficit, so there is no way I should have dropped that much, but I did and it has stayed off. So, just keep at it. Make sure that you are measuring and weighing everything that you eat, and that you aren't over estimating your calorie burn. Keep in mind that your HRM isn't going to be accurate on calorie burn for a weight training session, so don't eat all of those calories back. It'll come off you just have to stick with it.

Also, I am one of those people that had to cut out all sweets. I was eating a cookie every day for a snack because it fit in my macros and my calories, but unfortunately it really did hinder my progress. So, I stopped eating them and can feel a difference in my energy level and obviously my weight has gone down, my stomach flattened out. I'm not saying that you will have the same experience (i am actually insulin resistance which is why it helped me so much), but try different things. Unfortunately there isn't a set road to weight loss, everyone is different. Perhaps try to cut out the goodies for a couple of weeks and see how you feel and if you notice results. If you don't, put them back in and try something else. Its all about trial and error when figuring out how your body reacts to weightloss efforts. Good luck, friend me if you'd like support
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Also, I am one of those people that had to cut out all sweets. I was eating a cookie every day for a snack because it fit in my macros and my calories, but unfortunately it really did hinder my progress. So, I stopped eating them and can feel a difference in my energy level and obviously my weight has gone down, my stomach flattened out. .....

Yeah I have to do the same thing if I am wanting to shed any fat.....
    Cut out as many if not all simple sugars.
  • fongjon
    fongjon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Could it be water related? Whats your salt in take like?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    I've been on here a couple of years now and all that's happened is weight gain with now an increase in measurements.. I've been told to do 5x5, use tdee and generally up calories from having spent years doing excess cardio and eating minimal food.

Background, PE Teacher (mixture of being on feet and t desk), lifting heavy, some cardio in spin, intervals, jogging etc. 29 years, 4ft 11 and weight has crept up to 58kg from about 53-54. Waist used to be 27.4 now 29. My diary is open. I use my hrm to track collides burn and generally I know it's around 300 in a typical session.

Recently I've returned from my holiday and am feeling heavier and clearly I know why...from alcohol and all inclusive. Even on normal weeks I'm eating ok, drink at weekend and log but no loss, I even stopped drinking for 5 weeks with no loss or change. I love food and do enjoy treats and wonder surely that giving up a treat that fits into my daily allowance is what I need to do. You can see from my diary how I log and weigh my food.

Just need some support.

So if I read this correctly you are freaked out that after a vacation with lots of drinking and eating that your measurements when up? Sorry I find the post sort of confusing.

When did you start 5x5? Are you including your expected exercise calories in your TDEE calculations?

I personally would not suggest stopping with the heavy lifting, stick with 5x5 as it is set up.

As for weight gain, if you have been eating way to few calories for a long time, you have likely caused adaptations in your metabolism that will simply take time to correct themselves. A study of people on a very low calorie diet for a substantial period of time resulted in hormonal changes that made weight gain much more likely, and those changes lasted even to a follow up blood test a year later. This is not to say that happened to you, but that sort of adaptation of metabolism to long term sever calorie restriction is documented and will take time to correct. Add to this your over indulgence on vacation, and you will simply have to work it off.

Frankly 1400 calories does not seem excessive for your weight and age.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    I have always had one square of dark chocolate per day and recently I've had maybe a bit more. I've also been lifting for well over a year so its not new to my body.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options

Just need some support.

So if I read this correctly you are freaked out that after a vacation with lots of drinking and eating that your measurements when up? Sorry I find the post sort of confusing.

When did you start 5x5? Are you including your expected exercise calories in your TDEE calculations?

I personally would not suggest stopping with the heavy lifting, stick with 5x5 as it is set up.

As for weight gain, if you have been eating way to few calories for a long time, you have likely caused adaptations in your metabolism that will simply take time to correct themselves. A study of people on a very low calorie diet for a substantial period of time resulted in hormonal changes that made weight gain much more likely, and those changes lasted even to a follow up blood test a year later. This is not to say that happened to you, but that sort of adaptation of metabolism to long term sever calorie restriction is documented and will take time to correct. Add to this your over indulgence on vacation, and you will simply have to work it off.

Frankly 1400 calories does not seem excessive for your weight and age.

The gain in weight has been increasing over a period of time. Whatever I do I struggle to lose and now im even more concerned as I've gained over the holidays... I'm talking a holiday period of 7 weeks.

I've been doing 5x5 for over a year now. I have also heard that even 1700 isn't even too much. This what confuses me the most.
  • MityMax96
    Options

I've been doing 5x5 for over a year now. I have also heard that even 1700 isn't even too much. This what confuses me the most.

Depends on the foods and the marco breakdown.

Since you gained weight, you might need to re-visit/re-adjust your daily caloric needs.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Just need some support.

Check out the eat more to weight less thread.. it may be helpful
  • MityMax96
    Options
    But as I said in earlier post.
    Get more veggies in your diet. Green leafy kind
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    Where its been summer I've been eating more salad based food. Normally winter time etc I pack in loads of carrots, broccoli, green beans etc.

I have been told to aim for 40/30/30? (Pro/carbs/fat)
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    But as I said in earlier post.
    Get more veggies in your diet. Green leafy kind

I support this post! Learn to love salads!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Where its been summer I've been eating more salad based food. Normally winter time etc I pack in loads of carrots, broccoli, green beans etc.

I have been told to aim for 40/30/30? (Pro/carbs/fat)

Broccoli/ asparagus/ other green leafy's should be on your daily diet.
    The fiber content is very important for weight loss.

You can try that....seems like a decent even balance.

On workout days, I might would up carbs to ~40% and drop fats to 20%
    And non-workout days, drop carbs and up fats (good fats) a bit.....
    Keep protein high daily.

But again, you may need to drop daily caloric intake......
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    Im looking forward to more greens as over the summer I reduce them as its too hot and I prefer a salad. I'm just still unsure what to drop the calories too? I find carbs really don't agree when they are much higher. I generally make sure most of my fats are good ones...avocado, yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, seeds etc.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Im looking forward to more greens as over the summer I reduce them as its too hot and I prefer a salad. I'm just still unsure what to drop the calories too? I find carbs really don't agree when they are much higher. I generally make sure most of my fats are good ones...avocado, yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, seeds etc.

You could try two days where your carbs are elevated.
    Then a day or two, where they are very low (< 50 - 70gr maybe).....and fats elevated a bit.

Keep protein up on all days.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    FYI,
    Using the IIFYM calculator and putting in your numbers.
    Mind you, I use these as ball-park figures....not hard and fast numbers. So they give an me idea of where I should be.....

But for you.
    BMR 1200
    TDEE 1600

With 3 days of exercise / wk.